TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » AMTRAK's train tracker

Author Topic: AMTRAK's train tracker
TBlack
Member # 181

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TBlack     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If it's 9:00 AM right now in Denver, and #6 is supposed to be here at 7:00 PM, and the Amtrak site says the train is 3+ hours late right now, how accurate is that? I've got two problems: 7:00 PM is dinner time, so if the train is late I'll have time for dinner in Denver with my family before the train gets here, that's good; but if it's too late I'll not make my #30 connection in Chicago and will have to take the later #48 to get back to Boston, that's bad.
Posts: 518 | From: Maynard, MA, USA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
train lady
Member # 3920

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for train lady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We have a system worked out that works for us. We have a full lunch and then eat a light dinner around 5 with the family. We have a favorite pizza place. Then they drop us off at the station. My son stays to visit for a while (depending on how late the train is) while my D-I-L takes the grandkids home. If the train is really late my son goes on home and we settle in to read or talk to the others who are waiting. A real comraderie usually forms as #6 is almost always late. In all the yearss we have traveled from Denver we have only missed 3o once and then they bussed us to Peoria to meet up with 50. I haave noticed lately that 6 has been getting to Chi quite late so the next time we go I am going to make reservations for us at a hotel and leave on 30 the next day. Much more relaxing that way.
Posts: 1577 | From: virginia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CoastStarlight99
Member # 2734

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for CoastStarlight99   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The system can be very good, and sometimes not so good.

Less then a year ago, it would actually display what 2 points the train was in between. Now, you can only do that over the phone by saying "Get Details".

If the information is not updated frequently, just give Amtrak a call and speak to an agent. The agents usually have more information.

Direct Line: 1(877)444-4773

Posts: 1082 | From: Los Angeles, CA. USA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TBlack
Member # 181

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TBlack     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't mind hanging around the station; I'll certainly be able to chat somebody up or fool with this laptop while waiting. Which reminds me of a story about the time I was going from Emeryville to CHI and met a guy on the train who had a laptop and who got off in DEN to check his email (this was in the days before wireless). When he got back on I inquired as to the success of his mission; he replied that it went fine. I questioned how he could get on the internet at the station. He told me that there is an ATM machine in the lobby, and he merely disconnected the phone line from the ATM and plugged it into his computer! Is that doable?

Anyway, my daughter, who we're visiting, tells me she knows of a nice dinner place not too far from the station. I doubt that if the train is 3 hours late now it can pick up any time in the mountains. My real concern is at the other end where I'm trying to get to #42 in Pittsburgh by 7:20 EDT Wed. And the time window between 6's arrival and 30's departure in Chicago is 3.5 hours. Am I explaining this clearly?

Posts: 518 | From: Maynard, MA, USA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cubzo
Member # 4700

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for cubzo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There is a great brewpub across from the station, Wynkoops great beer and food.
Posts: 229 | From: Long Beach CA | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
train lady
Member # 3920

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for train lady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The food is excellent. You better like noise though because the level is pretty high as everyone has a good time.
Posts: 1577 | From: virginia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TBlack
Member # 181

I'm going to have my wife and daughter with me. Maybe something a little quieter is more appropriate. #6 is supposed to arrive just before 11:00 PM so we should have plenty of time for a gala send-off for 'ol dad! I haven't had an LD trip since I met up with Frank from SBA in Seattle several years ago.
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mr. Black--

I want to say that was about 5 years ago. I think I had just retired! Have a great trip.

Frank in Sunny SBA

Posts: 2160 | From: Santa Barbara, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geoff Mayo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'll second Wynkoops - it even does a close approximation to English real ale! The food is excellent as well, plus you can sit outside and watch out for the train arriving.

Trains can make up time en-route. They can also lose more time as they'll have lost their "slot". With ten hours in advance of the expected arrival time still to go, it could go either way. Better to find out about 3 hours before, by which time it should have passed its previous stop (if on time) - Fraser/Winter Park.

Geoff M.

--------------------
Geoff M.

Posts: 2426 | From: Apple Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This post is probably too late to be useful to you, but I liked having a brew in Wynkoops (I didn't eat any real food there). The street and building are named for a historically famous and very fine fellow, too.

I haven't gotten to this part of my trip report yet, but my eastbound CA Zephyr a few weeks ago did NOT make the Capitol Ltd connection. (And I wasn't surprised--the CA Zephyr is running very late most days, far as I can tell; it's ridiculous what it's costing Amtrak). I was taking the Lakeshore Ltd, now departing 10PM, and we barely made that either!--in fact, we got in around 10:30PM, but Amtrak held the Lakeshore Ltd (#48) about an hour to make sure we all got on. (And that train wasn't too late eastbound, in spite of being held--I was surprised).

I had gotten on in Sacramento; it lost most of its time east of Reno in Nevada; we did get to see some things you usually don't in Utah (Bonneville Flats, Great Salt Lake); but we missed the Rockies east of Glenwood Springs, when it started getting dark. We got into Denver in the middle of the night, or so it seemed--I woke up there but don't recall the exact time. We were about 7 hours late into Chicago.

As for people trying to catch the Capitol Ltd (and some other missed connections, like Michigan trains), Amtrak put someone on board the Zephyr a few stops before Chicago and helped them rearrange their accommodations. In the cases of people with whom I spoke, they were given free accommodations (at the Best Western on Ohio, good hotel and location for Chicago) and rescheduled on the next day's train to Michigan. Some other tourists, who were taking 2 trains post Chicago, like you, were getting all their trains rescheduled and phoning up hotels--the Amtrak people who came on board had phones for them to do it on. I think the Amtrak people also offered flying as an option to some people who had to get someplace quicker than that, but I'm not sure--you'll find out!

But a free day in Chicago is always nice.

Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TBlack
Member # 181

I'm writing this just west of Lincoln, Neb. We're 7 hours down and stopped in a corn field. Thanks for all your thoughts on Wynkoops, but my daughter had picked out Dixon's which is just around the corner from the station and you can eat outside. As a side benefit, when #6 is late Amtrak reimburses you $15 for dinner, but only at Dixon's. It was a nice touch but didn't quite cover the cost of dinner.

Just got back from trying the "new" dining car menu (for me, that is)...the Bob Evans scrambler. I guess it tastes OK, doesn't look very appealing. I miss the fried eggs.

5 years, Frank? Too long! Does the name, Robert Easton mean anything to you?

We just had a near miss with a grain truck at a crossing ahead. Train went into emergency braking, and now the crew is checking the system as required. We may be ate, but it's not dull!

train lady
Member # 3920

Member Rated:
Sojourner the one time the CZ was very late (9hrs) we were offered 3 choices...fly to DC, stay over in Chi and take the Capitol the next day or bus from Galesburg to meet the Cardinal in Ind. We chose #3 because they weren't sure about sleepers the next day and there was a bedroom available on the Cardinal. They called our daughter to tell her of the change i arrival time.
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mr. Black--

You are correct. I checked through my journals and it was in April of 2004 that we met you and took the EB together. I believe that was the trip where you came out, had lunch with a friend and then got right back on the train headed home.

Nope, I don't think I know Robert Easton.

Best,

Frank in Sunny SBA

Posts: 2160 | From: Santa Barbara, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TBlack
Member # 181

Actually, I was just looking for an excuse to spend a week on a train. I told my cousin I was coming out to see her so she'd take me to the best oyster places in Seattle (she did).

Now #6 is in Mt. Pleasant, Iowa scheduled to be in CUS at 11:00 PM. Too late for any connections which means a day in Chicago tomorrow before resuming my trek east. The Science and Tech. museum perhaps?

sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Mr. Black--

That would be appropriate. Be sure to check out the Zephyr trainset! I really enjoyed my visit there and it was pretty easy to get to using public transit.

And thanks for your private e-mail. I knew I knew the name Robert Easton. Perhaps we discussed it when we met.

Frank in Sunny SBA

TBlack
Member # 181

They held #48 for us in Chicago and put me on that for the trip to Boston. I guess I'll have to try again some other time to see what the middle of PA looks like.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page