RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Trip to DC from AZ

Author Topic: Trip to DC from AZ
RRCHINA
Member # 1514

Member Rated:
Icon 5 posted      Profile for RRCHINA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Around the 1st week in August I plan to travel to DC, one way, and an option is to take the SWC from Flagstaff or Winslow to Chicago and then the Capitol Ltd. Flying may be an option.
How full is the SWC during this time, usually?
Is there a possibility of securing a roomette or a bedroom after boarding? The current price on the SWC is way too much to consider. The Capitol seems more reasonable and I may buy sleeper space
from CHI to DC in advance, but it looks like I may take my chances on sleeper space being available after boarding the SWC.
Any thoughts, experiences or advice appreciated

Posts: 467 | From: Prescott, AZ USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thoughts and advice, Mr. China---

At our age, "the best surprise is no surprise'...book your Roomettes for all segments, "pay the piper', and consider the additional cost over a possible on-board upgrade as the price of predictability.

With an on-board upgrade, first there must be space available, then you are at the mercy of the Conductor/ix. Some simply do not wish to be bothered with on-board sales. It's not like willfully failing to collect a cash fare from an unticketed passenger; some simply fear that "it's their hind quarters' should there be a double sell. On board, the train is the Conductor/ix's "ship", they are Captain, and "the Captain's word is Law".

Lastly, as of a few moments ago, Roomettes were available on all days FLG-CHI during your noted "travel window" (but surprisingly Coach is sold on one such day - Be Prepared), however owing to Amtrak's demand pricing, the rates for such vary significantly. Best advice, be flexible with travel dates, get the plastic out, and book!

Posts: 9976 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kiernan
Member # 3828

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kiernan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd be astonished if you could get a room after boarding the Chief in Flag or Winslow. And I think that the train is usually packed with Boy Scouts after Raton.

Maybe other people have more info.

--------------------
Kiernan

Posts: 155 | From: Santa Fe, New Mexico | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
City of Miami
Member # 2922

Icon 1 posted      Profile for City of Miami     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't think the Scouts take rooms. I've seen them filling up the coaches though.
Posts: 326 | From: San Antonio Texas USA | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
train lady
Member # 3920

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for train lady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Every time we took the Chief there was one coach set aside for the scouts.
Posts: 1577 | From: virginia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MDRR
Member # 2992

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MDRR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Based on what Mr. Norman indicated, regarding space still available in sleepers, If you end up booking coach due to cost issues, I would start rechecking sleeper fares about 7-10 days before departure. Last year, I traveled on the CZ back from California and booked sleeper at premium price. Just happened to recheck availability 3-4 days before departure and found prices on remaining rooms had dropped approx. 60% thus rebooked my ticket and saved $$$. Either way, enjoy your trip.
Posts: 332 | From: Long Island, NY USA | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for smitty195     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As has been mentioned, the sleepers sell out quickly in the summer months. If for some reason the sleepers still have ample availablity a few days before your trip (and you are booked in coach), Amtrak will call you to offer a sleeper upgrade at a drastically reduced price. But it's probably not a good idea to bet on this happening, since there probably will not be any available. Best bet---book and confirm your sleeper NOW if you really want one. If it doesn't really matter, then just wing it and see what happens. Personally, I haven't ridden coach (overnight) on Amtrak since I was a kid. Coach often has a different type of clientele than those in sleepers. Not always, but very often this is the case. It's so much nicer to be able to close your door and lay down, as opposed to sitting upright with 50 other people around you snooring, smelling bad, talking on the cell phone, playing video games, or drinking booze and being chatty. I guess it depends on what floats your boat, but in my opinion an overnight in coach is no fun.
Posts: 2355 | From: Pleasanton, CA | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mr. RRChina - ditto what Smitty and GBN said!!!!!!
Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TwinStarRocket
Member # 2142

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TwinStarRocket     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I sometimes think of coach like the lower class level in the movie 'Titanic'. Yes, there can occasionally be some unsavory characters in coach, but there are also some fun friendly people and you get to meet more of them. One thing about a train is you can always roam from your coach seat.

A helpful hint: Though your chances of upgrading on board are slim, keep in mind that conductors change at ABQ and La Junta. So don't try and pin them down near the end of their shift.

You can also try to upgrade last minute through the station agent at Flag or en route at ABQ, in case another room becomes available. I did it once at ABQ. It was not cheaper than advance booking. The station agent at ABQ sold me a room that had also just been booked by someone on board. Fortunately there was another room available and we both got one.

Posts: 1572 | From: St. Paul, MN | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page