RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Southwest Chief Trip Report

Author Topic: Southwest Chief Trip Report
Southwest Chief
Member # 1227

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Southwest Chief   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just got back form a short Southwest Chief trip (Albuquerque - Fullerton), following is the trip report. It’s fairly long and detailed so feel free to skim the areas of your interest. I tried to add titles to certain sections to help guide you through it.

Back Story
My family resides in Anaheim, California for most of the year, however we also have a house in Durango, Colorado and spend as much time over the summer there as we can. My dad teaches at Chapman University in Orange, California so he is lucky to get most of the summer off. Normally we stay there until mid August, when classes start at Chapman. There is my Dad and Mom and then three adult kids, I'm the oldest at 27, then my two sisters who are 22 and 18. However this year my sister (22) and I had to come back a little earlier due to job and school commitments. So while my Dad, Mom, and youngest sister (18) would stay in Colorado until August, my younger sister (22) and I would take the Chief from Albuquerque (ABQ) back to Southern California.

What used to be nice was the southbound Greyhound bus connection from Durango to ABQ. It used to leave Durango around 9:45 AM, and get into ABQ around 3:00 PM (making it a perfect connection for train #3). And the bus depot is right next to the train station in ABQ...well can't really call it a station since it is still the "lovely" former Santa Fe MOW building.

However the bus schedule recently changed to make a connection with the Chief impossible without an overnight stay in ABQ...bummer. So we had to drive to ABQ, it's about a four hour drive from our place in the mountains outside of Durango.

Gallup is actually closer to Durango then ABQ, however the road to ABQ (550) is much better.

We left the house around 9:30 and stopped at the Burger King in Bernalillo around 1:00. The neat thing about the Burger King is it's near the tracks. So if you time it right you can have lunch and see the east bound Chief (#4) fly by. Recently the speed has been reduced to a max of 70mph, so it still moves just not 90mph anymore. And the semaphore nearby is also gone. We did get to see #4 go by, and it appeared to be right on time.

Albuquerque/Consist
We ultimately arrived at the ABQ train station around 2:00. After calling Julie a few times along the way, #3 would be about 30 mins early. After sitting and drawing some doodles for a while in the station with my sister, we went out to the platform. It was close to 100 degrees out so we stayed in the station longer than I usually do. I haven't been to ABQ since last summer and it was interesting to see the new Rail Runner platform structure and information. If only there was a proper Amtrak station, ABQ would have quite the impressive transportation hub right in the middle of downtown. I heard the Chief on my radio scanner call the station to say they were about 5 mins outside and soon after we saw the headlights appear. My sister filmed the arrival and maybe I'll post a link to this video clip later.

The consist was:
P42 100
P42 203
Baggage 1159
Transition Dorm 39034
Coach Baggage 31003
Coach Baggage 31040
Coach 34052
Lounge 33029
Diner 38058
Sleeper 32019
Sleeper 32079

We were in room 4 of car 0330 (which was sleeper 32019). I have a quick list of all the sleepers that have been "fully" refurbished and of course 32019 was not on the list. But neither was 32079 as she is a Superliner II. Another thing that bothered me was seeing the car still had 0430 listed making me wonder if there was some issue in Chicago that hampered this car getting a number change. But my fears of a shabby car were soon alleviated when I saw the new wood paneling and white walls downstairs.

32019 is an interesting mix of new and old. While the bathrooms have been redone, the sinks retain the crummy flap handles. Also while most of the walls have been changed to the new wood, blue, and white paneling, the upstairs upper wall panels still retain the filthy carpet walls. The curved ceiling along the deluxe room corridor also still has carpeting. But at least the upholstery is all new dark blue.

Our room wasn't entirely ready since the previous passengers detrained at ABQ. So while the attendant changed the pillows and tidied up a bit we went to explore the rest of the train.

The diner (38058) was a Superliner II. It was all laid out awaiting dinner and sure looked inviting. One weird thing I noticed was the emergency floor lighting strip (common to all Superliner IIs) was missing. An Amtrak mechanical worker was doing something with the dumbwaiter, but I didn't ask what the problem was.

The lounge (33029) was also a Superliner II. It had operating and installed emergency floor lighting by the way. It also retains the original chair configuration...no booths. It was pretty empty and exceptionally clean.

Since many people were boarding the coaches we decided to head back to avoid the crowds. But I did note that there all the coaches were Superliner I's.

The other sleeper (32079) a Superliner II was looking great for not having any apparent overhauls other than new upholstery. 32079 could be called the sleeper formerly known as Georgia. The name was removed from the outside of the car when she went in for IVb paint, but the upstairs doors still say Georgia. The Superliner II interior colors are my favorite and make the car look so much brighter, it even smelled better. Figures we didn't get this car. But our car was pretty good too considering it is as old as I am, and I sure don't come close to the mileage old 32019 has put on.

"All Aboard"
After getting the clear from station services and mechanical we had to wait a few mins for late passengers. I should note that I always bring my radio scanner (an old reliable Radio Shack Pro-51) with me whenever I take the train, so this is how I know we got the clear but had to wait for passengers.

Departure was only 6 mins late according to the times reported to the BNSF dispatcher. The dispatcher was concerned and wanted to know if he was responsible for the delay, as a local switcher was in the yards at the time. Imagine UP asking such a question!

We picked up speed quickly out of ABQ and soon reached the transcon at Dailes. I was disappointed to see the old Santa Fe water tower was taken out, but the MOW box car was still there. I've been on this route so many times I really can't count them. So I notice a few things here and there that are different...mainly because I model the Santa Fe in HO scale and look for noticeable landmarks if I ever want to model the area.

Our attendant came to give dinner reservations. We went with 6:45. After settling in for a bit and since it would likely be too dark after dinner, I decided to go to the last sleeper and take a short video out the rear window. This is something I haven't been able to do since the very early 1990s...before express cars were put on the rear and before the switch to sleepers up front. It sure was nice to see this long lost view. It's how I remember my first Southwest Chief trip in 1985 when I was only 6. Sleepers on the rear is definitely the way it should be.

This train was pretty full all the way home. Especially the coaches. When the Conductor has to announce on the PA system that they need every available seat in the coaches you know it's going to be a packed train. The sleepers were pretty full too, however many detrained at Williams Junction. I guess the Grand Canyon railway connection is going strong. Too bad the handsome modern station was torn down in the mid to late 80s. The platform now is way too small and much time is wasted by having to make a double stop. But this is a rant for another time.

Dinner
The announcement came for 6:45 and my sister and I headed to the diner.

We were seated with a really nice couple from Vancouver Canada. They were taking a long Amtrak journey. Starting with the Coast Starlight down to meet the Cal Zephyr to Chicago, then take the Chief from Chicago to Los Angeles. A short detour to Anaheim to see Disneyland, then back home via the Coast Starlight. But their trip didn't go as planned as the Zephyr was over 10 hours late and there was no way they would make the Chief connection. So they took a bus from Denver to Raton to meet the Chief. They were also somewhat disappointed to miss the Rockies as the very late Zephyr went through during the nighttime. But they were still enjoying their first Amtrak trip.

My sister had the Beef Bourguignon and I went with the Angus Beef Burger. The food is still good and tasty even if it is mostly prepared off the train. For desert my sister got a chocolate cake and I had the cheesecake. The menu had a three on the back so obviously this train was serving menu 3. I might be wrong, but I believe there are 4 different menus system wide. But they really are not all that different.

The meal and dining car service were still up to Southwest Chief standards and it's good to see that even with diner cutbacks this level of service can still be attained.

Silverware with the new Amtrak logo are still in use and the plates are higher end plastic with the new logo and a blue stripe. The standard red stripe pattern is now fully gone.

Bedtime
After the great meal, we headed back to the room to watch the last bit of scenery before the sun went down. After Winslow we had the bed made up and my sister dosed off in the upper bunk.

We were running about an hour late due to some slow orders around Gallup and some longer then expected yellow signals. After reporting the times at Winslow the dispatcher asked why the big loss in time. Our engineer mentioned running with "colored" signals. The dispatcher apologized for the signals as he said there was a freight in front of us that he could not get in the clear as soon as he would have liked. This blew me away that the host railroad would give a hoot as to why Amtrak lost time, and even apologizing for the signals. But the schedule has significant padding in it that we were gaining on this hour all the way home.

I wanted to film the Crookton Cutoff and the large sweeping curves after Williams Junction out the rear sleeper window. However the interior lighting was much to bright and washed out anything I could get out of the fairly dirty window. Oh well, at least I could get some sleep on the smooth and fast re-route dating to 1960. It was hard to tell if we ever reached 90mph on this section of track because it is still one of the smoothest parts of the entire route.

Night Stations and Speed
We made the crew change at Kingman, still an hour late. But this new engineer really had a lead foot. The speed was noticeably higher then before, especially after Needles. All through the night it was interesting to hear the engineer mention to the conductor "Highball #3" followed by a dramatically noticeable increase in speed. Perhaps he called highball in each of the 90mph sections. I've never heard an engineer on the Chief mention highball while running at track speed. I've only heard this when leaving a station or after getting a green signal. But we had green all the way, except for a few crossovers around Needles to get to the platform track.

Whatever the "highball" meant I'm still not sure, but man did we move. Over the years I've picked up on certain sounds and subtle movements Superliners make when going 90mph. And all these distinct yawing, hunting, and vibrations were noted during the night. So we definitely were going 90 at some points, possibly we went over it for a few moments as it sure felt faster in some spots then I ever remember.

And we must have because we made up so much time during the night. At Barstow we were down to 30 mins late. However we never moved like we did after Barstow.

I fell asleep and awoke many times during the night. After Barstow I took off my headphones and tried to get as much sleep as I could as Fullerton would be coming up in a few hours and I didn't want to stay up all night.

But one thing I was sure to not miss was the passing of eastbound #4. If we were both on time the meet is around Needles. However since we were late the meet took place before the Colorado river bridge. #4 was close to on time and looked good flying by. Thankfully our room was on the correct side to see the night passage. Surprisingly there was no friendly communication between trains as they passed. The crews usually say something over the radio, be it looking good #4 or something, but not this night.

Wake Up/Fullerton
I awoke from a good sleep at San Bernardino and started to get dressed enough to clean up in the restrooms. I wore sweatpants and an under shirt to bed but I feel passengers should at least make an effort to look somewhat decent even if going to the restroom, especially during daylight hours. I didn't take a shower since I'd be heading home right after Fullerton. So I didn't get up all that early and had no plans on making it to breakfast. Meanwhile my sister awoke when I returned from the restroom, possibly from the noise I made trying to stuff my tooth brush and stuff into my bag. She then went off to get cleaned up and I had the beds made up.

We sat around watching Riverside and the sprawling urbanism of Southern California. I wish there was a Yorba Linda station as we live in Anaheim Hills, which is easily seen from the train as it winds through the Santa Ana Canyon and passes Imperial Highway. But Fullerton is the closest station. I guess it beats going to Pomona, which used to be the closest station on the Chief's route.

As the landmarks pointed we would soon be in Fullerton I headed downstairs to get the luggage ready for detraining. Soon after we pulled into Fullerton. Only 15 mins late. One of my best arrival times into Fullerton. Well done "Mr. lead foot" [Smile]

Final Thoughts
Overall this was an excellent trip. Good food, fairly good accommodations, and remarkable on time performance.

The way things are now seem perfect for Amtrak long distance travel. Sleepers on the rear do offer a smoother ride so I commend the decision to go back to this. No express cars meant we only needed two locomotives, a big savings in expenses. And there was none of the typical annoying tugging sensations the Chief used to have when there was 20 or so express cars on the rear.

While full dining car service is preferred to prepackaged meals, the quality and taste is still up to excellent standards. So if the current system saves some cash go for it, but I don't think there can be any other cuts. It seems the current level of service and quality could be overwhelmed if any other cuts are made.

I like the consist with a standard dining car and lounge, and it works exceptionally well for the Southwest Chief. It seems the coach passengers get the most out of the lounge while sleeping car passengers get the most out of the dining car. If these were combined into one I doubt there would be enough room for everyone.

Amtrak should keep things exactly the way they are. I think they may have finally reached a good balance. Sure things could be better but I'm being realistic in what Amtrak can offer, and I think it is as good as one can get with current funding.

I hope you enjoyed the trip report, and if anyone has specific questions I'd be glad to answer them.

--------------------
Matt
Visit gallery for photos of our train layouts

Posts: 579 | From: San Bernardino Subdivison | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great trip report, thanks.

Also enjoyed the websight for your outdoor layout. Do you know which seats (even or odd) are window seats in the replica of the Silver Vista car now running at the Durango & Silverton? I'm ticketed to ride one week from tomorrow.

Thanks,

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRCHINA
Member # 1514

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRCHINA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great detailed report. To listen to the BNSF communications when you are familar with the route allows you to anticipate events or locations
is a great experience.

Some days there are 100 +/- freight trains from Dalies to Barstow and it amazing how well the DS's keep things moving. And, did you notice how polite and professional the radio communication was?

There is track maintenance ongoing east of Gallup and perhaps other location that I am not up-to-date about which is usual for summer months.

Posts: 467 | From: Prescott, AZ USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for smitty195     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great trip report! Your comments are interesting......I like the one about the BNSF dispatcher asking if he was responsible for the 6 minute delay. You're absolutely right---you sure won't hear this on the UP.

In your dining car, by chance did you have Yolanda as your server? She's a heavy-set black gal, nice as can be. It's always a treat to get on-board and see her as part of the crew. Such a nice lady.

Posts: 2355 | From: Pleasanton, CA | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Excellent trip report, thank you so much for it. Your trip sounds fine too, but oh, I feel for that Vancouver couple on the late Zephyr, having to miss the Rockies and Chicago too. I missed much of the Rockies on my 7-hour-late Zephyr a few weeks back, but at least I'd seen them before. Iguess the moral of that story is, take a few extra days and build in a Chicago "cushion." Also, take the Zephyr westbound! (Only even then, you could get stuck on the Wyoming detour!!!)
Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
20th Century
Member # 2196

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for 20th Century     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow!Sounds like someone had fun riding the Chief. I'm envious, but glad to hear you had an enjoyable trip. Thanks.
Posts: 498 | From: New Hope, PA, USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Railroad Bob
Member # 3508

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Railroad Bob     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good report, SC, thanks. In looking at your consist list, I was wondering where the crew dorm/transition car was...did the crew sleep in rooms in either of the revenue sleepers? Also there is no "step down" stair from the 31003 to the 1159 bag car. Sometimes the crew needs to go up there from the body of the train. As to no one changing the number board from 0430 to 0330; (that takes about 10 seconds to do) I am guessing crew laziness or a new hire attendant, unless the system was jammed somehow. And I've always liked the Needles Sub too, for its fast "Run 8" sections. Engineers like to run over it, for reasons you mention. And a treat to see in the daylight when you're late- rare on 3/4 these days. Its whimsical station names (that follow the alphabet) have always been a fun fact- Amboy, Bagdad, Cadiz, Danby, Essex, Fenner, Goffs, Hector, Ibis, Java, Klondike, etc. And where else can you find Siberia, CA??
Posts: 588 | From: East San Diego County, CA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
train lady
Member # 3920

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for train lady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for such a well written and interesting report. You really packed a lot of information in a relatively short space.
Posts: 1577 | From: virginia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Southwest Chief
Member # 1227

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Southwest Chief   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
notelvis
Unfortunately I don't know the seat numbering of the real Silver Vista. You might want to give the railroad a call as they are very helpful on just such a question. Hope you have fun, it's a beautiful remake...Although they should have painted the trucks silver, the black ones match the current cars but just looks wrong to me. Thanks for the comments on the layout. While the D&SNGRR were building the new car I took my model to show the shop foreman. He told me they had planned to included doors on the side on the end platforms for easier loading, but thankfully they went with the historical look.

smitty195
Nope we didn't have Yolanda, but I know exactly what you mean. She is a blast to have as your server. Funny and quality service all the way.

Railroad Bob
Good eye. There of course was a dorm car, I just forgot to post it. I updated it now with 39034 correctly listed. It incidentally was one of two cars not in phase IVb paint. Coach Baggage 31040 also was still wearing IV. But I was really surprised to see the baggage car in IVb!

I visited Cadiz last October. Went through during the afternoon so no way to see either Chief, but plenty of freight action. I model Cadiz in HO and wanted to see the surviving water tank. There is an old MOW structure there where BNSF stores some spare parts like signal bulbs, lenses, electronics, etc... Pretty desolate but a great desert landscape and man due the trains fly by through there.

--------------------
Matt

Posts: 579 | From: San Bernardino Subdivison | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TALKrr
Member # 683

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TALKrr     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Enjoyed your report too, Matt.

Early September I will be taking the Chief from Chicago through to Fullereton. I have a childhood friend who lives in Buena Park and I try to go out to visit him once in a while. I live in the Pittsburgh area , so it is quite a trip.

The Chief is one of my favorite trains. This will be my second experience with the "Simplified Dining." My first experience was on the Star-late and it was a "disaster." Hopefully things will be better on the Chief.

I absolutely LOVE California !!

Posts: 187 | From: Pittsburgh , PA | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Matt - great report!! Very detailed! I'm glad you and your sister had a good trip.

My wife's folks used to live in Durango, up in the mountains. We just sold their big double house last fall. On our vacation trip last summer, we also went through Durango, saw the old house, and of course rode the Silverton train up to Silverton & back!

Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doc Brown
Member # 4724

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doc Brown     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nice report. Thanks!

--------------------
Chuck

“Adventure is just bad planning.” - Roald Amundsen

Posts: 80 | From: Wisconsin | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Southwest Chief
Member # 1227

Member Rated:
I posted the Southwest Chief videos my sister took to YouTube, enjoy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yeyAL0qwyJ0

--------------------
Matt

RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good videos, Matt -- thanks for posting!!
Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page