RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Silver Star collides with car, kills 4

Author Topic: Silver Star collides with car, kills 4
CHATTER
Member # 1185

Rate Member
Icon 9 posted      Profile for CHATTER     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/07/16/train.collision.ap/index.html
Posts: 255 | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
proloz
Member # 5427

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for proloz   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh man, that's so sad. [Frown]

I wonder if it was teens trying to beat the train? Just terrible.

Posts: 28 | From: Western Maryland | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Even though the car tried to drive around the crossing gates, this story will be misinterpreted by someone to be AMTRAK's fault -- "why can't their trains watch where they're going?" or "I'll never ride AMTRAK again -- they are SO UNSAFE!!!!!!!" or something.
Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lest we forget, there was another Amtrak grade xing incident near Lakeland during June.
Posts: 9982 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ocala Mike
Member # 4657

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ocala Mike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe not teens, proloz, but young people. Just a tragedy. Is there still a program called "Operation Lifesaver" out there? I think it used to be backed by the Association of American Railroads, and went into schools and such to teach about the dangers at grade crossings and along rights-of-way. Seems like my state needs it now more than ever, especially in urban areas and especially regarding Amtrak trains.

Too many people are too familiar with relatively slow-moving CSX freights over the same lines; they don't realize how quickly a 79-mph train can just "appear" out of nowhere.

--------------------
Ocala Mike

Posts: 1530 | From: Ocala, FL | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Before Passenger Train Journal magazine's hiatus in the mid-1990's, Amtrak engineer Doug Riddell had a pretty moving article about how difficult it is for the engineers to cope with grade crossing accidents which they have been involved in.

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ocala Mike
Member # 4657

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ocala Mike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, I feel sorry for the T&E and OBS crew on that train. They should be counselled for post-traumatic stress before resuming their jobs. One never reads or hears about the effects of these incidents on the railroad personnel.

--------------------
Ocala Mike

Posts: 1530 | From: Ocala, FL | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MDRR
Member # 2992

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MDRR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Everything happens in three's....
Another incident: the NB Silver Star (17) struck a cement truck near Plant City Fl. and derailed a few hours ago! Train is standing upright, not sure about injuries.

Posts: 332 | From: Long Island, NY USA | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ocala Mike
Member # 4657

Member Rated:
Anecdotal evidence for my posting of earlier today regarding Florida drivers vs. trains, especially those of the Amtrak persuasion.

When will they learn?

--------------------
Ocala Mike

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page