RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Overnight train/bus connections between LA and the Bay Area

Author Topic: Overnight train/bus connections between LA and the Bay Area
mr williams
Member # 1928

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mr williams     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know if anybody has noticed but the last northbound Surfliner from LA to Santa Barbara (dep LA 7.00pm) used to connect to an Amtrak throughway bus which ran as far north as San Luis Obispo arriving just after midnight. However, this bus now seems to run all the way to Oakland arriving at 5.50 in the morning and connecting to the Corridor trains.

Similarly, there is a 10.00 pm southbound bus from Oakland which originally only started from SLO at about 4.00am and connects with the surfliner at SBA.

Not ideal, I know, but it seems that Amtrak are offering at least some sort of overnight service both ways between LA and the Bay Area. Anybody tried it? When was it last possible to get an overnight train between the two? Would it be feasible/popular if such a service was restored and is it possible that they are laying the groundwork and something might come out of this?

Posts: 395 | From: england | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for smitty195     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been down at OKJ (Oakland) several times when #14 arrives (usually late), so I'm able to see the bus pull up and then wait for it's departure time. What I've noticed is that the bus usually departs empty or with only one or two passengers. I don't know if it picks up a lot of people along the way, but from what I've seen, it's not heavily patronized out of OKJ. Maybe because it's a bus in the middle of the night as opposed to a train? At least they're trying.....
Posts: 2355 | From: Pleasanton, CA | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John Hull
Member # 4465

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for John Hull     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not an overnight journey, but we used a daytime thruway connection in November 2006 on our way from San Francisco to Santa Barbara. We took Caltrain to San Jose, then the 4798 bus to SLO, changing onto the 4.25 Surfliner to SBA. The bus was comfortable and well-used, with people joining at all the intermediate stops. Interestingly, because the Starlight was running late, we followed it all the way and saw it at all the stations. It then delayed the 4.25 Surfliner!
The 2006-2007 Amtrak timetable with its pages showing all the California coast services was a great help in planning our journeys. Perhaps Amtrak is preparing for when a Coast Daylight service becomes a reality (??).
John

Posts: 41 | From: Yaxham, Norfolk, UK | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mr williams:
When was it last possible to get an overnight train between the two? Would it be feasible/popular if such a service was restored and is it possible that they are laying the groundwork and something might come out of this?

There was a revival of overnight LA-Bay Area service by Amtrak during 1983-85; this was named the "Spirit of California" and was State funded. The Southern Pacific "Lark" survived almost, but not quite, to "the end".

However, California (wisely to me) withdrew funding and the train came off. But as we well know, no other state has begun to approach the scope of California's rail passenger service initiative.

Posts: 9979 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I seem to recall seeing one of those SLO to SJC buses stopped at Salinas one day, and it had a sign in the front window that said "Coast Daylight."

--------------------
The Del Monte Club Car

Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page