RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » More help -- please!

Author Topic: More help -- please!
dixiebreeze
Member # 3224

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dixiebreeze     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Trying to plan a trip via Silver Star from DLD to D.C. then Capitol Ltd. to Chicago, and finally, the Zephyr to MTZ. Looks doable, but understand the Zephyr is undergoing track repairs, etc. this summer.

Anyone know how bad it is or anything about delays, etc.? Would like to leave about Aug. 8. Thanks!

Posts: 133 | From: Florida, U.S.A. | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ms. Breeze, the California Zephyr schedule has been lengthened to accommodate the slow orders on the Central Pacific (it is all UP) across Nevada, but even with the lengthened schedule, it still can run "way late'.

Further, the Zephyr is often rerouted via the Overland Route (that is traditional UP) so that track work can move forth on the Rio Grande (the normal Zephyr route). This reroute deprives Westbound passengers of a view X-ing the Rockies - likely the most spectacular scenery viewable from a scheduled train anywhere in North America.

But if you have previously traveled over the Rio Grande, I don't think the Overland Route is a total loss. Roundly following I-80, you will be awed how anyone, be they indigenous or settler, ever dared go near this land. Imagine people X-ing this "moonscape' in covered wagons, with indigenous people "uh not exactly' rolling out Welcome Wagon". I would think constructing this railroad immediately after the Civil War was analogous to someone today building a railroad on the Moon.

And the volume of freight traffic? well such is container trains running on "headway'. To observe is a lesson in what 21st century Class I railroading is all about.

Posts: 9977 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dixiebreeze
Member # 3224

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dixiebreeze     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you Mr. Norman. Being late isn't so much a concern, but I would have liked traveling the Rockies.

Do you think there is any chance my connections between D.C. and Chicago and the Zephyr will be on time (so I won't have to be bussed anywhere). I don't do well on buses.

I believe I will have to take the Amtrak bus from Ocala to Jax to catch the Silver Service (just 3 hours)

Posts: 133 | From: Florida, U.S.A. | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
92-WAS-29-CHI-5 I think is safe all the way around. If there is a misconnect and presuming you are traveling Sleeper, Amtrak would offer you a catch up flight or Meals and Lodging until the next train with space available (Coach gets Pooch and a station bench).

Now I'm not certain when you are originating your trip (and I respect your privity regarding such), but a good way to check if there is to be a planned Overland Route detour would be to load in an itinerary at the website such as CHI-GSC. If the return shows transfer at DEN to 3005, that means a "bustetoot" is the order of the day.

Posts: 9977 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Amtrak website may also have an announcement about which departure days the Zephyr will reroute through Wyoming......though there is always the chance that a work period will be delayed or a freight train will derail causing a detour for a train that otherwise would have gone through the rockies.....not around them.

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dixiebreeze
Member # 3224

Rate Member
Appreciate the help and advice. I am departing from Jax (Fla.) via Amtrak bus from Ocala. Even re-routing the Zephyr doesn't bother me as much as possibly missing train connections along the way.

Of course, I USED to travel west via the Sunset from Deland, but no more of that, unfortunately.

train lady
Member # 3920

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for train lady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
according to the latest time table from July-Aug 8 trains 5 &6 will detour on Sunday through Wednesday. This was under schedules on the web site.
Posts: 1577 | From: virginia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dixiebreeze
Member # 3224

Rate Member
Thanks TL -- more to you later via email.

BTW, Mr. Norman, I always do 1st class on Amtrak -- whether I can afford it or not ;^D

Ocala Mike
Member # 4657

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ocala Mike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
dixiebreeze: As a fellow Ocalan, I must advise you to shun the bus trip and try and catch the train at Palatka or Deland, like I do.

--------------------
Ocala Mike

Posts: 1530 | From: Ocala, FL | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dixiebreeze
Member # 3224

Rate Member
Mike, no stops at Deland now, according to schedules. Only a taxi to Daytona. Palatka is quite a ways from me (I'm about 40 miles SW of you).
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dixie - where are you reading that AMTRAK doesn't stop in DeLand any more? Are you sure you don't mean that there is no longer service to SANFORD?
Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ocala Mike
Member # 4657

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ocala Mike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with RRRICH, dixiebreeze; Amtrak service is alive and well with two trains a day in each direction (91 and 97 S/B, 92 and 98 N/B).

I use Deland when I'm going to Tampa or S. Florida and Palatka when I'm going to the NE.

I think Amtrak did away with their ticket agent in Ocala, by the way. I used to pick up my tickets there.

--------------------
Ocala Mike

Posts: 1530 | From: Ocala, FL | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dixiebreeze
Member # 3224

Rate Member
YES! DeLand lives! Thank goodness. I'm booked. Can anyone please tell me what room 22 on the Zephyr transitional sleeper is like? Is it up or down and where do that put that car? Thanks!
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
After just returning from a walk and observing #5(24), the T-Dorm is on the head. The revenue Roomettes in these cars are all Upper Level.
dixiebreeze
Member # 3224

Rate Member
Thank you Mr. Norman. I guess "head" means right behind the engine?

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page