RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Amtrak call time...

Author Topic: Amtrak call time...
dixiebreeze
Member # 3224

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dixiebreeze     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What's the very best time to call Amtrak for an upgrade in sleepers? Thank you.
Posts: 133 | From: Florida, U.S.A. | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for smitty195     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe someone can answer your question better than I can, but it's my understanding that there is no specific date/time to call. When Amtrak changed to the bucket system of fares (based on demand, date, passenger load, etc), it eliminated any rock-solid times for getting a good deal. Now, it's just luck as to what you will get.

I would imagine one thing you can do is book your sleeper so you get it confirmed, and then keep checking online to see if the rates go down. When they do, grab that reservation---then call Amtrak and cancel your original reservation. But I've never tried this, so I'm not sure how successful that would be.

Posts: 2355 | From: Pleasanton, CA | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
train lady
Member # 3920

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for train lady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Amtak used to put up available reservations at 3AM. They would always tell you that that is the time cancellation and changes are posted. I can remember several times setting the alarm so I could wake up and call. It took a few nights but we were successful.I don't know if they still do that but you could call amtrak and ask.
Posts: 1577 | From: virginia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dixiebreeze
Member # 3224

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dixiebreeze     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Been there and done that :^( with the 3 a.m. thing but it always worked in the past. Now, they're saying just call after midnight, which is rather vague.
Posts: 133 | From: Florida, U.S.A. | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for smitty195     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Amtrak reservations computer purges reservations that have not been picked up/paid for every day at 12AM Pacific, 3AM Eastern. I always get the accomodation I want (as well as the room I want) when I call a few minutes after that time.
Posts: 2355 | From: Pleasanton, CA | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page