RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Museum of Science and Industry Chicgo

Author Topic: Museum of Science and Industry Chicgo
mgt
Member # 5479

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for mgt     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My wife and I shall be arriving in Chicago on the Lake Shore Limited on August 19, a Sunday. We would like to visit the museum, mainly to see the original Pioneer Zephyr. Despite looking on the museum's web site and the Chicago transport site I cannot work out the easiest way of getting to the museum from Union Station. Any help would be appreciated.
Also would we be able to leave our checked luggage at Union Station and collect it later in the day?
Than you in anticipation.

Posts: 168 | From: uk. northumberland | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
train lady
Member # 3920

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for train lady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The last time we went to the museum we simply took a cab. It is more expensive than a bus but we felt it is a vacation and why not take the easiest way. If you are traveling sleeper class you can leave your luggage in the Metropolitan Lounge. There is a manned room to check luggage. At the desk they will give you a pass to return and tell you the time you must be back.
Posts: 1577 | From: virginia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
train lady
Member # 3920

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for train lady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
mgt, addenda...if you are traveling coach class I have no idea about checking luggage but I am sure there are people on the forum who can answer that question.
Posts: 1577 | From: virginia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AHALL
Member # 3515

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for AHALL     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Last summer, my son and I walked to Randolph Street Station on Michigan Ave near the Art Institute and took the commuter rail line for about $ 1.50 to 57th Street station, and walked the 2 blocks to the Museum of Science and Industry. We spent the whole day and left the Museum to find a huge crowd waiting for busses and taxis. We walked to the rail line and zipped right back to downtown.

The Pioneer Zephyr is right inside the museum entrance.

Posts: 76 | From: Steubenville, OH | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
musicfan
Member # 4673

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for musicfan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The big attraction at the museum is the captured German U-Boat submarine which has been given an impressive indoor display.
When I was there last, in addition to the entrance ticket, you had to buy a timed tour ticket to go through the sub.
Make sure you do that before they run out space for the day.
I didn't realize this when I was there till a little to late and they had run out of tickets for the day and I ended up running out of time, so I didn't get to see the inside of the u-boat on that trip.
They also have a large model railroad exhibit.
The Pioneer Zephyr is cool,especially the exterior but a little small in person and the exhibit is tailored slightly towards kids like a lot of the museum.
It's still worth a look though.
I took a cab to the museum, but the Metra Electric rail line would also probably work once you get to the lakefront as mentioned.
My other favorite museum is the Chicago Institute of Arts which is right on Michigan ave if you have time for two.

Posts: 38 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
musicfan
Member # 4673

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for musicfan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A couple of additional notes, I still would say it's probably easiest to take a cab, but
looking at a transit map I picked up near the Metra ticket counter at Union Station.
If you really want to minimize walking, You could possibly get on at the Quincy "L" stop near union station and ride the orange or Green line to the Roosevelt stop, then get off and walk the short distance to the Roosevelt Road Metra electric/south shore line station.
The map also shows bus route 10 is tailored to serve the Museum of Science and Industry.
It looks as if it runs on State street in the Downtown Loop area.
Some other bus routes from the map are the 127 Madison/Roosevelt circulator, which could get you from near Union Station to Michigan Ave.
Or the 130 weekends only grant park treasures route, from Union station to Grant park.
They also have these free trolley/bus type of things that go around downtown but I always find long lines of people for those.
And they do have paid-luggage storage lockers for coach passengers at the train station.

Posts: 38 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
reich
Member # 2564

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for reich     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Metra Electric schedule on Sundays is very limited compared to weekdays. We took a #10 CTA bus marked Museum of Science & Industry and caught it on State St. Check the web sites of www.transitchicago.com, and www.metrarail.com, for schedules, fares, stops, etc.

There was someone outside the museum to help with bus info at the CTA bus boarding area. We left a good hour before closing just in case a bus didn't show up to catch a 5:08 Hiawatha.

Posts: 15 | From: Mke, WI, USA | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mgt
Member # 5479

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mgt     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the information. It was most useful.
I fulfilled a childhood dream of 50+ years of wanting to travel on a long distance scheduled train in 2005 when we rode the California Zephyr. It was a real thrill. And the food was good. That was before simplified dining service of course.
This year, fearful of Amtrak's future, we are travelling on the Lake Shore, Empire Builder and Coastlight before it is too late! These must be some of the most famous routes in railway history, even if the trains are no longer in the super de-luxe class. That only leaves the South West Chief as a real must do.
We were very impressed with the courtesy of the Amtrak staff in 2005, even though there were glitsches; the rest-room facilities were challenged on the morning of the second day by the altitude of the Rockies; the ice-drawer came unstuck on one of the curves; the air-conditioning in the Roomettes was over-efficient and not functioning in Sightseer Lounge, so much so that the Guide had to abandon his talk.
I was still an impressive trip, giving some idea of the beauty, both mountains and deserts of parts of the U.S. Also the vast size of the country. One could only feel for the early settlers who struggled across the terrain on foot anf waggon with no air conditioning.
I think we were also surprised at the variety of people we met from all over the country, from vets, teachers, horse-shoe throwing champions who made meal times so pleasurable.
Surely Amtrak is a treasure and vital transport link that should not be discarded.
Thanks again.
MGT.

Posts: 168 | From: uk. northumberland | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
train lady
Member # 3920

Member Rated:
Just an addition...the Capitol Limited is also an historic route and scenic as well.
I think yo will find that areas of Montana and North Dakota are amazing in the many miles of openess. My husband says that in much of the west the clouds are very different than in the east. They just seem to hang and it is like being in a bell jar. You will understand why it is called big sky country.I hope you have a great trip with no annoyances. If you can't drive the train is the best way to see the country, in my opinion

mrhall53
Member # 1580

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mrhall53     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
On our first trip on the Empire Builder, my wife looked out at eastern Montana and said: Now I understand why pioneer women killed themselves. But I like the emptiness.
Posts: 58 | From: Owensboro, KY USA | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Italiancanuck89
Member # 1873

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Italiancanuck89     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been to that museum many times and its amazing every time. You'll enjoy it.
Posts: 115 | From: Buffalo, NY | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amtrak207
Member # 1307

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Amtrak207     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's nice to hear you are listening to Tom Servo's advice, "when in Chicago, visit the Museum of Science and Industry."
I'm not too sure about the M of S and I, but last spring when a friend and I came in on the Capitol and out on the Lakeshore, we took a free pseudo-trolley service (one of those hideous built-up F350 chassiseses with lots of seats and plastic film for windows and annoyingly suicidal drivers) down to the waterfront. I recall it being free, and I also recall lots of rotten co-americans jumping the line and filling the bus up ahead of us, making us wait another fifteen minutes.
And the driver was about as bad as a taxi driver, but this time driving a top-heavy turbodiesel around hard corners, through red lights, up and over curbs, and basically around downtown. So, if you're overdue to count your blessings, don't mind kissing the pavement when you disembark in one piece and want to get around the museum district for free, look up these fake stuck-on woody paneled trolley-like trucks.

Posts: 391 | From: Schenectady | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Worth what you paid for it, Mr. 207

I know of one fellow that lives in the city who, owing to circumstances I would say once within his control, must watch every penny.

He regularly rides the trolley shuttles when they operate; walks when they don't.

The CTA to him is analagous to Amtrak Sleeper.

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mgt
Member # 5479

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mgt     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for your help. We are about to depart and we shall be using the Metra system, despite recent magazine reports about UK rail enthusiasts being taken and questioned for taking photos.
MGT

sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
MGT If you are arriving in Chicago on the Lakeshore Ltd and leaving on the EB, you may not have time to make the visit--depends on how late your LSL is. Things have been looking up in that department this year, but you never know! Anyway, if there's time, you might consider a taxi at least one way. If you just take a taxi one way, I'd take it going because they are so easy to get at the train station.

If you have a sleeper on either the LSL or the EB, you can use the Metropolitan Lounge and check your luggage there, as noted. If not, there are lockers in Union Station, though I suppose sometimes they are filled; I don't know, I've never used them.

Have a great trip!

Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page