RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » HELP!!! I got questions

Author Topic: HELP!!! I got questions
LvgLasVegas
Member # 1611

Rate Member
Icon 11 posted      Profile for LvgLasVegas     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am taking Amtrak from DC to Las Vegas, NV and back again in mid May. Although I've taken Amtrak on day trips, this is my first long distance train ride. I'm a little worried about it and I have a few questions:

1) Since there is no direct train service to Las Vegas from Needles, CA, I'm going to take a bus from Needles at around 1 am. This is causing much anxiety in my husband. Is the station at Needles safe (compared to let's say, the bus depot near Union Station in DC)? Will there be alot of people around that time at the Needles' station or is there a good chance that I'll be alone?

2) I will be travelling alone. This is causing me much anxiety since I'm a short and thin woman. What can I do to be safe in my sleeper or while I shower? Should I take mace with me? Where is the attendant located in the Superliner sleeper car? Has Amtrak had incidents of sexual assault on its trains?

3) Powerwise, can Superliners handle a battery charger with the following specs:

Input: AC 120V
Output: DC 2.8V

Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions!

Posts: 3 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That sounds like a terrific adventure! I hope I can allay at least some of your worries.

Question #1. I am not familiar with the Needles station, or the bus schedule, so I can only speak generally. Typically if you have a Throughway bus connection the bus is waiting for you when the train arrives. You will probably step off of the train and get right on the bus.

But I don't blame you for being nervous about a 1:00am transfer in a small desert town. You should probably call Amtrak and confirm the bus connection time. Maybe someone else here knows more about this particular location.

Have you considered taking the train all the way to LA and taking the bus from there? It would make a longer trip, but I think it goes at a more reasonable hour.

Question #2. Sleeping cars are quite safe. You can lock the door to your room from the inside, and the lock is very sturdy. Drapes allow privacy.

The shower also has a lock on the door, but I would check it by giving the door a push (or a pull if it opens inward, I don't remember which way it goes) after you lock it, just to be certain it holds. If there is any problem talk to your attendant.

On a Superliner the attendant resides in room #1 at the top of the stairs near the center of the car. It is the room adjacent to the upstairs rest room. Your room will also have a call button above one seat.

I've never heard of a sexual assault on a train, but that doesn't mean it never happens. But if it has, it is probably a very rare occurance.

Question #3. The plug in the room says it is for electric shavers only, but it will easily accept any low power device like the one you describe. (When Superliners were designed shavers were about the only electric devices people carried on board, hence the wording on the outlet). Just don't plug in anything like a 500 watt hairdryer and you'll be fine.

I don't know if these outlets have very consistent power levels. You might want to take a small surge supressor if you are plugging in a computer.

If I may offer a little unsolicited advice:

1. I like to use one of those toiletry kits that hang on a coathook. They work really well in those small Superliner rest rooms (the coathook is on the door). We got ours at Target for $14.99.

2. You are required to wear shoes as you walk about the train, but you are free to kick them off in your room. I like to wear rubber soled shoes with velcro fasteners. This makes it easy to put them on and off as you desire, and comes in very handy for nighttime trips to the rest room.

3. Although your meals are included in your sleeper ticket price, it is a good idea to tip your dining car servers 15% of the value of your meal as you would in a restaurant. Tipping your car attendant $5-$10 is also a nice gesture.

4. While Amtrak is generally enjoyable, don't expect perfection. You are bound to encounter a few glitches along the way.

If you have any more questions ask away. We want you to have a good trip.

------------------
Trust God, love your neighbor, and never mistake opinion for truth.
-Mr. Toy

The Del Monte Club Car

[This message has been edited by Mr. Toy (edited 04-30-2002).]

Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Konstantin
Member # 18

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Konstantin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think that Mr Toy has given you some good advice. I also do not know about Needles in particular, but I would guess that a lot of people will be doing the exact same thing as you are. There will probably be a lot of people that get off the train in Needles then get on the bus to Las Vegas.

Be prepared for late trains. Amtrak is notorious for being late, but if you are prepared for it, then it should cause no problems for you.

------------------
Elias Valley Railroad (N-scale)
www.geocities.com/evrr

Posts: 446 | From: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Every couple of years, I get the "yen" to "scratch the green felt" or hear the electroinic bells myself (especially if a CEU qualifying seminar is available).

If it were me, I would wish to route my trip to Las Vegas through San Bernardino, especially if one is using a sleeping car. At SNB, I would likely rent an automobile (Hertz and Amtrak have a marketing arrangement with autos either right at the station or at a nearby downtown location), or consider using bus service for the 160 miles to "The Meadows".

The Needles connection is one thing if you were riding coach and wanted to "hit the tables" immediately on arrival. But I don't think that is you, my dear.

If you choose, you could easily reroute your trip through SNB; your accomodations are already booked and paid for and the additional rail fare would be neglibible especially considering that you would have a "better nights sleep".

Posts: 9976 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sfcajon
Member # 1451

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sfcajon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Would agree w/ SNB suggestions. Needles in middle of nite is not much fun. There is no "station", just an asphalt "platform." The old Santa Fe one is closed. The bus driver does meet the Vegas passengers & will wait for train no matter how late. If you do go that way have the conductors help you find the bus driver. At either place expect to handle your own bags.
Posts: 13 | From: Downey CA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
royaltrain
Member # 622

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for royaltrain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have never connected at Needles, however, a few years ago I left the S.W. Chief w/b in Kingman Arizona at about 1:30 am. I had arranged with a local Hertz agency to pick me up, take me to the local airport, rent the car and drive on to Nevada from there. It was a bit of a pain, but at least I avoided the dreaded bus. Last year I went on to Los Angeles, rented a car and made the long trek across the desert to Las Vegas. Due to heavy traffic and several accidents, it took me over six hours to complete the journey. My mother used to live in Las Vegas, but has now moved to California, so I won't have travel to Las Vegas again for at least the forseeable future.
Posts: 524 | From: Toronto Ont. Canada | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LvgLasVegas
Member # 1611

Rate Member
Icon 6 posted      Profile for LvgLasVegas     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To All,

Thank you all for your suggestions and advice so far! I was considering going to LA and then take the bus back to Las Vegas, but my company puts a cap on how much I can spend on transportation (I'm going to Las Vegas for a convention) and finacially I'm strapped right now (I recently had to purchase a car).

I have another question. Can I lock the sleeper doors from the outside? I would just like to drop off my bags in my sleeper and zone out for awhile at the lounge car without worrying if someone is going to rob my stuff. Also, can I sit in Coach if the lounge car is full or are the Coach cars Reserved in long distance trains?

Again, thanks for all your help!

Posts: 3 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Unfortunately, Sleeping Car doors cannot be locked from the outside, but be assured that theft of property is indeed rare aboard Amtrak - especially from Sleeping Cars.

First, each Sleeping Car has an attendant assigned to it, whom has a "sixth sense" of "who belongs". Further, the Sleeping Cars are either positioned at the head or rear of the train, and are "off limits" to passengers not holding space therein. There is no reason for "through traffic".

Lastly, Sleeping Cars of course have an inside lock, which common sense says should be locked while you are sleeping. However, proper use of the lock would make the crime of robbery (unauthorized removal of property under threat of violence to a person) as good as nonexistent.

Posts: 9976 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Southwest Chief
Member # 1227

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Southwest Chief   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've never actually boarded or detrained at Needles but have seen it many, many times on the Chief. Every time I'm on the train it seems a fairly good amount of passengers get off at needles, as well as get on. Also it's an interesting stop as the east bound #4 and west bound #3 trains meet nearby(if on time). Unfortunatly sfcajon is right, there is no real station. Too bad, there is a neat old harvey house that is in total disrepair. I wish someone would refurbish it like they did to the now beautiful ones in Barstow, Ca. and Winslow, Az. As far as locking your sleeper door from the outside, unfortunately you can't. On one of my many trips on the Chief the toilets in both sleepers didn't work. So the passengers were allowed to use the Amtrak crew car. When I was in that car, I noticed that every crew member put a combination lock on their room doors. So theft must be an issue for crew members. I don't think you can sit in coach if the lounge is full. You probabbly will be allowed to sit in the dining car if it's not a serving time. The crew will usually allow sleeping car passengers to do this. But it really isn't allowed so it will just depend on the crew. I remeber trips long ago when my dad would ask if we could sit in the diner because of the terrible smoking in the lounge and our sleeping car (as back then the only car smoking wasn't allowed in was the diner). It's nice to see Amtrak has done away with smoking except for in the designated Coach Smoking area. A good compromise for smokers and non smokers. The Southwest Chief is one of Amtrak's best intercity trains. I hope you enjoy your trip. As a side note it's too bad Amtrak discontinued the Desert Wind. This train went direct to Las Vegas. I traveled it many times. You could have taken the Capital Limited to Chicago and then instead of boarding the Southwest Chief, you could have boarded the California Zepher. The Zepher would split into three trains at Salt Lake City and one of the three trains was the Desert Wind.
Posts: 579 | From: San Bernardino Subdivison | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
reggierail
Member # 26

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for reggierail     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sleeper passengers can roam anywhere on the train that they like. It's rare the lounge would be full, but the coach seats can be used by anyone. Please look above the seat to see if a seat check is there indicating someone is using the seat. If I was riding in coach, went to the lounge car for a snack & came back to find someone in my seat, I might be a little annoyed. If available the coach attendant would assist you.
Generally speaking the crew discourages passengers using the diner when closed for meal service. They usually have the tables set for the next meal period & don't appreciate people messing with what they have set up.
BTW, some crew members lock their rooms as they are responsible for sums of cash collected during the trip & need to safeguard it.
Reggie

------------------

Posts: 462 | From: Bakersfield Ca., 93312 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daisybumble
Member # 855

Rate Member
Icon 6 posted      Profile for daisybumble     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If the lounge is full, why would you want to sit in coach when you have a just-as (if not more)comfortable seat in your sleeper? You'll have a little table to pull out that probably provides more room than the airline-style tray on the back of coach seats. As a bonus, since you're travelling alone and have the sleeper to yourself, you can pull down the two facing seats in the sleeper to make the lower bunk (it's easy to do, but you can also ask the attendant for help. Then you can stretch out and relax...even without the bedding, it's very comfortable. And you won't have to worry about your stuff.
Speaking of your stuff, I think the best thing to do is to not leave anything lying around when you're not in the room. Put everything back in your overnight bag and zip it up...you might even want to stow your bag on the upper bunk to keep it out of the way. When you leave the room, close the curtains on the windows facing the corridor and close the door--just like at home, make it look like the room is occupied. There's always going to be people with sticky fingers, but you lessen your chance of theft if you make it difficult for someone to get at your stuff.

Posts: 53 | From: Chicago | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LvgLasVegas
Member # 1611

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for LvgLasVegas     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Again, thank you all for giving me the heads up on Amtrak sleepers and safety.

I've got another question. I was thinking of taking a hand held TV just in case I want to watch a show or keep up with the news at nighttime. Does anyone know how good the reception is on an Amtrack train, if any?

Thanks again for all your help!

lakeshorelimited
Member # 576

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for lakeshorelimited     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think that the long distance trains are quite safe, in my opinion. I have not heard of any on-board theft. Personally, I have left my coach seat to stay in the lounge for hours on long as well as short distance trains. On the Capitol Ltd. all day my unattended bags weren't touched. I just make sure to bring valuables with me- my wallet, digital camera, etc..

The sleeping cars are even more secure, since the attendents know who should be in there and who shouldn't be. So, since I haven't heard of any problems in coach even, I wouldn't worry about the safety of your items in your sleeper.

Posts: 140 | From: Albany, NY | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lakeshorelimited
Member # 576

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for lakeshorelimited     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Also, about the TV's.. as I've heard, they work on Amtrak trains, but you will not be within broadcast distance for very long, especially since the receiver on a portable TV won't be very powerful
Posts: 140 | From: Albany, NY | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
graynt
Member # 17

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for graynt     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I ve brought along my little tv with me and the reception isn't bad. You ll be heading to a city, then probably stopping for awhile and heading out and that shold give you close to a couple of hours of decent reception..and if you are stopped for any length of time the signal lasts longer.

i usually find that I enjoy watching at night when you are in your sleeper or in a coach seat and you don't feel like socializing. I ve watched Leno and Letterman on a late running Coast Starlight through San Francisco.

I was on a train from Florida to New York on September 11th. You can imagine how valuable having a TV was that morning.

Posts: 176 | From: Bloomsburg Pa | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page