RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Guest Rewards and Grandluxe

Author Topic: Guest Rewards and Grandluxe
royaltrain
Member # 622

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for royaltrain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mr. Norman posted a thread under a Grandluxe subject heading that I started some time ago, however, I thought I would begin a new one since I have just received an e-mail from Amtrak advertising a special offer that is quite interesting if somewhat controversial.

The e-mail, that presumably all AGR members will receive, advertises a special guest rewards offer of a $100 credit towards the purchase of alcoholic beverages (including wine and champagne) over and above the already complimentary wine in the dining car. All you have to do is make a reservation for one of their Grandluxe Limited tours from November to January. I was concerned if this only applied to new reservations, but I just called Grandluxe and they confirmed that I would be entitled to the Amtrak credit on my already made reservation if I gave them my AGR number (which I did of course).

It is interesting to note that the Amtrak e-mail states "members will not earn Amtrak Guest Rewards points towards this travel nor can they redeem points for this travel, at this time." Is Amtrak hinting that they may allow reward points (either given or redeemed) at some future date?

In Mr. Norman's posting there was a link to USA Today that quoted Mothers Against Drunk Driving objecting to the credit suggesting it was an overindulgence. I respect MADD's anti-drunk driving position, however, I think in this case their criticism is unfounded. Nobody is going to drive a car after indulging in $100 worth of alcohol on a two day train journey. If some passengers do overindulge all they have to do is retire to their luxurious suites and sleep it off.

Posts: 524 | From: Toronto Ont. Canada | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Somehow, Mr. Royal, a bottle of an Oregon Pinot Noir (Adelsheim) the first night with my Beef Tournedoes and the second night a Virginia Viognier (Chrysallis or Michael Shap's King Family; both "simply superb") with my Veal Chop would make quick use of my $100 bar tab credit.

At my 165lb weight, "dousing' a 750ml bottle results in a .08 BAC; but on-board I'm nowhere near the wheel.

MADD is "mad" on this one (disclaimer: I make an annual contribution to their organization).

Posts: 9980 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HopefulRailUser
Member # 4513

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for HopefulRailUser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Interestingly our local news tonight mentioned Amtrak offering $100 alcohol coupons for LD trains such as the Zephyr. No mention was made of the Grandluxe connection. Either the news got it wrong or it is a wider benefit(?) than we thought. The news also felt this was second in importance only to the tragedy of a bridge collapsing into the river in Minneapolis. Priorities are sure skewed on the news these days.

--------------------
Vicki in usually sunny Southern California

Posts: 951 | From: Redondo Beach, CA | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zephyr
Member # 1651

Icon 1 posted      Profile for zephyr     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My dear, Hopeful. The news media getting something wrong? Skewed priorities? Get real. It ain't possible. You're crazy-talkin', Vicki.

It's so true. And that's why I've made daily roundtrip Davis/Sacramento CZ reservations for the duration of the $100 booze program. $7 coach=$100 hooch---hey, do the math.

So cool. But since I like to carefully plan my rail travels, I would like to solicit in advance pledges for liver donations. Ira, Rocket, anyone--can you spare a liver?

Posts: 445 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
train lady
Member # 3920

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for train lady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It was on our news tonight too. They said it was on certain LD trains but you had to be part of guest rewards. " Also one train would be the silver Star that runs between DC and Florida" They also showed scenes of the diner and the lounge car.
Posts: 1577 | From: virginia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zephyr
Member # 1651

Icon 1 posted      Profile for zephyr     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey train lady, I'm a Guest Rewarder. Your liver available?

Wow, if this booze program is successful, maybe GR should add liver transplants to their redemption list. X points=1 liver transplant.

Now, that would be so very cool.

Posts: 445 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
train lady
Member # 3920

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for train lady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry Zephyr old boy. Mine is already spoken for. Why don't you try the bagpipers?
Posts: 1577 | From: virginia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zephyr
Member # 1651

I understand, train lady. But thanks for thinking of me.

But anyone else?

Yo!--Tanner, Pojon, Elvis, George, Royaltrain, Geoff (it's really spelt Jeff, ain't it?). Anyone? We're just talkin' a little liver here.

TwinStarRocket
Member # 2142

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TwinStarRocket     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Major news networks can always be counted on to use reliable sources, and verify what they report.

I caught a CNN breaking news report lately based on a passenger's frantic cell phone call from on board an Amtrak train. She said the "Southwest Chief" was trapped in Texas by rising waters in both directions and there was no way they could escape. Amtrak didn't know if they could even be rescued. Worse yet, it was running very late! CNN presented this as a legitimate news story.

The Southwest Chief, of course, doesn't run through Texas. Turns out she was on the Texas Eagle and they were merely waiting for a bus bridge to avoid track near a rising river. But an Amtrak train running late? That is breaking news.

Strange coincidence: Today's Minneapolis paper reported light rail to St. Paul is now in danger of losing federal funds, because a study showed the large double deck highway bridge they will use to cross the Mississippi (built in 1965) may not be strong enough for the train. The bridge that collapsed tonight was a half mile upstream and built in 1967.

A very very old 2-track ex-Northern Pacific bridge is between these two bridges, and was judged still strong enough to last many decades. It is now public property and for pedestrian and bikes only! ...And was never considered for light rail.

Posts: 1572 | From: St. Paul, MN | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As a non-drinker myself, I can't say I'm amused by the offering. I don't think I'd want to be aboard a train, luxury or not, where even a few passengers are being actively encouraged to drink up. (Now if they offered dancing girls...)

If they're resorting to giving away booze to attract business could it be that Grandluxe isn't getting the sales response it hoped for?

Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
train lady
Member # 3920

Member Rated:
Mr. Toy according to this AM news this applies to other trains as well. They again mentioned the DC- Florida runs. I agree with you about not wanting to be aboard such trains. It is not the wine drinkers that bother me its the non-stop beer drinkers.
DeeCT
Member # 3241

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for DeeCT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Exclusive Amtrak Guest Rewards® offer:
Receive a $100 per person credit toward the purchase of alcoholic beverages (including wine and champagne from our reserve list) when you book a GrandLuxe Limited Rail Journey.

This is cut and paste from the Guest Rewards email that I received.
As is often the case the reporters do not have a clue that Grandluxe is a separate entity, and certainly did no research for background for the story.
Train Lady - one of the advertised routes is a Washington to Miami trip that hooks on to the Siver Meteor.
So folks - no need to worry about your livers unless you have the $$$ to pony up for a Grandluxe experience.

Posts: 460 | From: North Central CT | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TwinStarRocket:
A very very old 2-track ex-Northern Pacific bridge is between these two bridges, and was judged still strong enough to last many decades. It is now public property and for pedestrian and bikes only! ...And was never considered for light rail.

Some cable news outlet last evening (Fox I think, but I was surfing through all 'em) had a reporter who said he was standing on the Stone Arch Bridge "an old railroad bridge that is now a bike path".
Posts: 9980 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
royaltrain
Member # 622

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for royaltrain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I hardly think one's liver is in such imminent peril as some people seem to think. Most people who purchase up-market rail or cruise products such as Grandluxe or the Queen Mary 2 are not likely to start dancing on the tables and singing sea chanties. These are sophisticated travellers who know how to consume alcohol responsibly. In the days when I travelled first class on airplanes, there was no limit on the amount of alcohol I could drink either in the first-class airport lounges or on board the plane. I never once observed a first-class passenger getting out of hand for the simple reason that the luxury market crowd are hardly in the same league as the Animal House frat brothers depicted in certain films.
Posts: 524 | From: Toronto Ont. Canada | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by Gilbert B Norman:
Somehow, Mr. Royal, a bottle of an Oregon Pinot Noir (Adelsheim) the first night with my Beef Tournedoes and the second night a Virginia Viognier (Chrysallis or Michael Shap's King Family; both "simply superb") with my Veal Chop would make quick use of my $100 bar tab credit.

May I retierate the above?

As Mr. Royal notes in his immediate, we are hardly addressing that Mexican passenger operation from Guadalajara to Tequilla and (maybe) back.

train lady
Member # 3920

Member Rated:
It would seem that the media is a bit on the confused side or is reporting only their interpretation of the report. How unusual. Last night they definitely said Silver Star. Today it is "certain sleeper cars" whatever that ,means
TwinStarRocket
Member # 2142

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TwinStarRocket     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mr. Norman, the Stone Arch Bridge is just north of the collapse and used for sightseeing: bicycles, peds horse drawn carriages and motorized rubber tire trolleys. I found this excellent link I also posted on another (MN Bridge Collapse) topic:

http://www.mrdbridges.com/stoneArch.php

The ex-NP now ped/bike bridge is just south (downstream) of the collapse, and connects nothing to nowhere... just abandoned rail ROW. A nice quite spot when bridges are not collapsing. It's 2nd bridge down parallel to I-35W, if you look on Google Satellite Maps.

The Stone Arch Bridge is recognizable on Google by the falls and rapid water just north of it.

Posts: 1572 | From: St. Paul, MN | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The news release posted on Train Web's home page today (from the Chicago Tribune) specifically states that the new alcohol policy is ONLY for Grand Luxe travelers. If Grande Luxe cars are attached to the end of AMTRAK trains, those passengers have no access to the regular AMTRAK part of the consist. Apparently the deal is that only if you are in AMTRAK's "loyalty program" (? -- is that an AGR holder?) will the new policy apply.
Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Judy McFarland
Member # 4435

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Judy McFarland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Would never recommend a bagpiper's liver - too much Scotch, I would think!

--------------------
My new "default" station (EKH) has no baggage service or QuikTrak machine, but the parking is free! And the NY Central RR Museum is just across the tracks (but not open at Amtrak train times. . ..)

Posts: 337 | From: Goshen, IN | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ocala Mike
Member # 4657

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ocala Mike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, Judy, but that liver is well protected by his sporran (now there's a good word for today!).

--------------------
Ocala Mike

Posts: 1530 | From: Ocala, FL | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 12 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Volks, my ancestry is Scotch (my MMN and MN is Browning, I guess my Father got some of those French in the way when they came over to Mother Country in 1066).

Thank you very much Ms. Grandma and Mr. "Tony Soprano's brother". [Razz] [Razz]

notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by zephyr:
I understand, train lady. But thanks for thinking of me.

But anyone else?

Yo!--Tanner, Pojon, Elvis, George, Royaltrain, Geoff (it's really spelt Jeff, ain't it?). Anyone? We're just talkin' a little liver here.

I think the special in the diners this fall is going to be chicken fried liver.

Or maybe pickled liver?

Leftovers could be recycled into the Bob Evans Breakfast Scrambler.

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I feel sure the Bob Evans Breakfast Scrambler would do more damage to vital organs than any booze would.

In fact, I noticed that while the quality of the food in the regular Amtrak l-d cars has gone down, the alcoholic beverages are still pretty good, and the selection pretty good as well!

BTW, who is doing the cooking on the GrandLuxe, does anyone know? Will they give back the opportunity for some of the better Amtrak chefs to get jobs, or do they have gourmet chefs, or what?

Also, will there be any special prices, does anyone know? For instance, if a Grandluxe doesn't sell out, can one buy a discount ticket last minute some place?

Just wondering. . .

Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PullmanCo
Member # 1138

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PullmanCo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
All those Chefs working for Grand Luxe during the season? They'll have an opportunity to work now during the off-season!

Dining Car crews during the pre-Amtrak (mostly FRESH) ingredient era were 5 cooks to 6 waiters, all under a Steward.

I have a several cookbooks. The Pullman Company's Restaurant service in the late 30s comes closest to Amtrak before SDS: Insert the can of soup in boiling water for 20 minutes, open into bowl, serve.

If you look at either UP or Fred Harvey menus, the emphasis was on fresh ingredients!

Posts: 1404 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page