RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » What's the most number of trains (or shuttles, boats, etc) you've taken in 1 trip?

Author Topic: What's the most number of trains (or shuttles, boats, etc) you've taken in 1 trip?
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thought this might be as interesting a subject as the how many trains in one day query. I actually try not to take a whole lot of trains in one day and have a guideline I try to follow when I can afford it, timewise and moneywise: On any given trip, spend as many days not on the train as on the train. That keeps me nicely rested and prevents me from getting If It's Tuesday It Must Be Belgium-itis, not to mention cabin fever. . . .

Another guideline I have is: If convenient, try not to go and come precisely the same way

Another is: If convenient, take a train/route you never took before--on the Amtrak system, I still haven't taken the City of New Orleans, the Down Easter, Missouri local trains, North Carolina local trains, Michigan local trains, Illinois local trains on short routes (I'll be taking an Illinois local to Springfield IL this fall but that is the same as Texas Eagle route), Oklahoma flyer, Sunset Ltd between San Antonio and New Orleans, Crescent south of Atlanta, Capitol Corridor train in California, Cardinal between Chicago & Indianapolis, Vermonter north of Springfield, Ethan Allen northeast of Albany, Maple Leaf from Buffalo to Toronto--well, I think that's it. Oh, and I also still haven't taken an ACELA, but I will be doing that soon.

I think my biggest trip in terms of different vehicles so far was:

1. Empire Service to NYC (overnight with friend)
2. Regional to DC, nice long layover before changing for
3. Capitol Limited to Chicago, layover not as long as I'd like, changing for
4. CA Zephyr (Wyoming reroute) to Emeryville, changing for
5. bus shuttle to San Francisco (stayed several nights)
6. bus shuttle from San Francisco to Emeryville, changing for
7. San Joaquins to Hanford, changing for
8. bus shuttle to San Luis Obispo (2 overnights), with public bus to & from Hearst Castle
9. Pacific Surfliner to Santa Barbara (2 overnights)
10. Pacific Surfliner to San Juan Capistrano (1 overnight)
11. Pacific Surfliner to San Diego (2 overnights)
12. Pacific Surfliner to Los Angeles, nice long layover before changing for Sunset Ltd to San Antonio, moving into
13. Texas Eagle part of train in El Paso (where my Guest Rewards began), with a reasonably long (but mostly nighttime) layover in San Antonio, continuing on Texas Eagle north to Chicago, changing for
14. Lakeshore Ltd home

Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My topper was the 1971 overseas marathon I noted at the related topic. The trip was 17 days (left work, on Big Bird same evening , returned to work the morning after return). There was only one day on that journey of 'no trains', and that was in Luzern, where I took a Lake ferry to Burgenstock and revisited one 'stop' from the 1960 'family trip overseas" ("back in my day", that was a common 'family rite of passage', nowadays the rite seems to be Disneyland; Europe is where you go on a HS Senior trip).

Otherwise, I likely rode some 40 trains on that journey.

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dilly
Member # 1427

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dilly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've taken a number of X-treme Amtrak trips. I believe the trip below may have been my most train-intensive -- although I did spend at least one night in each city to visit friends, meet with work clients, or both.

I never do multi-train long distance trips without taking a 24-hour rest break (at the very least) between each train. I love rail travel, but I'm not a masochist.

-- New York to New Orleans (Crescent)
-- New Orleans to Chicago (City of New Orleans)
-- Chicago to Milwaukee (Hiawatha)
-- Milwaukee to Chicago (Hiawatha)
-- Chicago to Sacramento (California Zephyr)
-- Sacramento to Emeryville (Capitol Corridor)
-- Emeryville to Merced (San Joaquin)
-- Merced to Los Angeles (San Joaquin)
-- Los Angeles to San Diego (Pacific Surfliner)
-- San Diego to Los Angeles (Pacific Surfliner)
-- Los Angeles to Fort Worth (Texas Eagle)
-- Fort Worth to Oklahoma City (Heartland Flyer)
-- Oklahoma City to Fort Worth (Heartland Flyer)
-- Ft. Worth to Chicago (Texas Eagle)
-- Chicago to Grand Rapids (Pere Marquette)
-- Grand Rapids to Chicago (Pere Marquette)
-- Chicago to Washington D.C. (Cardinal)
-- Washington D.C. to New York (NEC Regional)
-- New York to Hudson (Empire Service)
-- Hudson to New York (Empire Service)

---------------------------

Posts: 793 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know if this qualifies but it's the most unusual trip I have ever taken.....it was in June 2002 when Amtrak was threatened with imminent shutdown by new President David Gunn. I thought I had better 'get on the stick' and ride some of the routes I had not........just in case. My ONLY objective was to ride as many western Amtrak routes (or portions thereof) that I would most regret having missed if the system did, in fact, get shut down.

Soooooo.....I drove to Nashville, TN and
1) flew Southwest Airlines via Las Vegas to Spokane, WA.
2) From there it was a cab to the Amtrak station where
3) I caught #27 to Portland in the wee hours.
4) same day connection to the Coast Starlight to Sacramento,
5) same day connection to the California Zephyr to Grand Junction,
6) same day turn on the westbound Zephyr back to Sacramento, night in the Vagabond Inn,
7) southward to Los Angeles the following morning on the Coast Starlight arriving just two hours late, night in a Days Inn, and
8) the Surfliner to San Diego
9) and back the next morning.
10) That night I left LAX on the Southwest Chief going to Albuquerque where I
11) caught the city bus to the airport and
12) flew Southwest Airlines to LAX and
13) caught an airport shuttle back downtown.

I walked into Union Station almost exactly 24 hours after I had left it and

14) boarded the 422 sleeper for Ft. Worth via the Sunset and the Eagle........

Except that a UP derailment caused our train to be annulled in El Paso. We were promised buses to San Antonio but the prospect of riding a bus 600 miles overnight was much less appealling than a second night in my roomette so.....

15) I shared a cab to the airport where I
16) bought another Southwest Airlines ticket to Dallas where I
17) got a cab to a nearby hotel.

The next morning I......

18) caught the Dallas light rail downtown to Union Station. It was a Saturday so the commuter trains were not running and the soutbound Texas Eagle was 6 hours late....so I walked two blocks and

19) took a Greyhound Bus to Ft. Worth where I then
20) made my original connection to the Heartland Flyer for Oklahoma City. I got
21) a cab to my hotel near the airport and the next morning I
22) flew Southwest Airlines back to Nashville.

Whew......what was I thinking? I don't believe that I would attempt this again regardless of the reason.

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rresor
Member # 128

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for rresor     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've had a couple of marathon trips, but my favorite memory is of a "farewell" trip in March of 1971. I was a senior in HS, and my friend and I only had a one-week spring break in which to travel. Also, parents wanted to keep costs down. So...

1) SR "Birmingham Special" WAS -- Lynchburg
2) N&W "Pocahontas" (w/former WAB dome) to Cincinnati
3) "Pan American" to New Orleans
4) "Gulf Wind" to Jax
5) "Silver Meteor" to SAV
6) Overnight in a hotel
7) Nancy Hanks (w/dome) to ATL
8) Nameless L&N train to St. Louiss
9) Overnight in a hotel
10) "Wabash Cannon Ball" to Detroit
11) Overnight in a hotel
12) C&O connection to "George Washington" at Ashland, KY, thence back to DC

Posts: 614 | From: Merchantville, NJ. USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David
Member # 3

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for David     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Although my posting is about "boats" as invited by the title of this thread, there is still a railway connection because the three ships were owned by the Canadian Pacific Railway as was the rail diesel car (dayliner) that connected two of them.

In one day in Sept. 1972 we were aboard all three vessels, which comprised the entire passenger fleet of the CPR. (The last oceanic ship, Empress of Canada operated by CP Ships, had been withdrawn the previous year.)

1) In early morning we arrived in Vancouver on the Princess Patricia after an Alaska cruise.
2) About two hours later we crossed to Nanaimo on Vancouver Island aboard the Princess of Vancouver. We then took the CPR "dayliner" down to Victoria.
3) We departed Victoria in late afternoon on the Princess Marguerite, arriving in Seattle later that evening.

That was the only time that I was aboard three ships in a period of less than 10 hours. Although the latter two were ferry boats, they were splendid vessels in the CPR tradition: wood-panelled staterooms were available and the dining rooms were set with crisp linen and gleaming CPR silver.

Posts: 216 | From: Mississauga, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by rresor:
I've had a couple of marathon trips, but my favorite memory is of a "farewell" trip in March of 1971. I was a senior in HS, and my friend and I only had a one-week spring break in which to travel. Also, parents wanted to keep costs down. So...

1) SR "Birmingham Special" WAS -- Lynchburg
2) N&W "Pocahontas" (w/former WAB dome) to Cincinnati
3) "Pan American" to New Orleans
4) "Gulf Wind" to Jax
5) "Silver Meteor" to SAV
6) Overnight in a hotel
7) Nancy Hanks (w/dome) to ATL
8) Nameless L&N train to St. Louiss
9) Overnight in a hotel
10) "Wabash Cannon Ball" to Detroit
11) Overnight in a hotel
12) C&O connection to "George Washington" at Ashland, KY, thence back to DC

If it were still possible to make this trip today, I would be willing to pay a huge sum for the ticket!

Of particular interest would be the Birmingham Special and Pan American.....trains I saw in passing but never had the chance to ride as I was only 8 when they expired.

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK, allow me to throw in another parameter; taking the train to get from somewhere to get somewhere else - not a joyride, which is what any of these postings to date appear to be.

NY to Marion IA Sep 1963; purpose first a visit with "GF" @ small school in Cedar Rapids (Coe), then return to Champaign for First Semester.

Seven trains:

1) NY-Richmond (Broad St) PRR-RF&P Silver Meteor
2) Richmond (Main St)-Cinci C&O FFV (only time I have ever seen New River Gorge by light of day - Porter got a $5 tip out of a college kid when he moved me to Bedroom on Fireman's side)
3) Cinci-Memphis (Union Sta) Humming Bird (unnamed Nash-Mem)
4) Memphis (Central Sta)- Chicago (Central Sta) Panama Ltd (pick up Sleeper)
5) Chi (Un Sta) Marion MILW 111 City of Portland
6) (two days later) Marion-Chi MILW 104 City of LA
7) Chi (Central Sta)-Champaign Panama Ltd.

OK, someone will be quick to say "that's two trips" - as you had reason to go to Cedar Rapids involving four trains then to Champaign with the other three.

Did that junket ever elicit the howls from my train hating Father "why can't you just FLY like everyone else does"!!!

Oh and the girl in Cedar Rapids, Gayle?, a happily married grandmother nowadays.

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PullmanCo
Member # 1138

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PullmanCo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When I was stationed in Germany, I would take 3-4 days of leave, get a DB-national pass, and hop on the next train to anywhere! Over theose 3-4 days, I'd be aboard perhaps 8 different runs [Smile]

--------------------
The City of Saint Louis (UP, 1967) is still my standard for passenger operations

Posts: 1404 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MetSox
Member # 6035

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MetSox   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This may sound insane, but at least it'll give you an idea about how passionate I am about train travel. I went to Japan this past April and rode 303 trains in 18 days. That includes everything from the Shinkansen (bullet trains) to trolleys that I only took a few blocks and everything in between. I also broke my record for most trains in a day - 37. I thought I could break my record for most trains in an hour (10 in Paris, New York and London) when I figured out how to ride all 12 subway lines in Tokyo without ever going more than one stop, but it took me an hour and a half.

This was the most I'd been on in one trip but there have been a few others:

1995 Europe 246
2001 Europe 226
1999 Europe 205
2004 Scandinavia 197
2006 NYC, Toronto, Balt., DC, Phila. 195

This is why I have to take my train vacations alone, nobody else would want to put up with that many trains. Why did I do it? Because I felt like it.

Posts: 49 | From: Brookline, MA | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rick Morris
Member # 5347

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rick Morris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, let's see. Mine may not be as long as the others, but I have done my share. Let me share with you the last trip I had, which was in June.

1) Ride to train station in Spokane, WA, with mom's friend.
2) Empire Builder (coach class) from Spokane to Seattle.
3) Amtrak Cascades (Business Class) from Seattle to Portland, OR.
4) Portland Tri-Met bus to hotel.
5) Overnight in hotel.
6) Portland Streetcar to MAX lines
7) MAX to Waterfront Park
8) Tri-Met bus back to hotel.
9) Overnight in hotel.
10) Portland Streetcar to MAX lines.
11) MAX to Pioneer Square
12) Tri-Met bus to Union Station
13) Empire Builder (coach class) from Portland back to Spokane.
14) Taxi from train station back to home.

Posts: 23 | From: Spokane, WA | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rresor
Member # 128

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for rresor     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay, one more slightly more relaxed trip (a lot less than 246 trains in one trip!) involving steam trains and Amtrak, back in 1971.

1) UP business train w/3985 Omaha-Gibbon-Topeka-KC (Neff Yard)
2) bus back to Omaha in the wee hours, short night in hotel
3) Amtrak OMA-CHI detour on C&NW, arriving CHI about 3 AM
4) Taxi to Midway; Southwest to St. Louis
5) UP business train and 3985 STL to CHI (Yard Center) via former C&EI
6) Taxi to MDW
7) Rent car, drive to Ft. Wayne, short night in hotel
8) NS steam special with 611 FTW to CHI (NS yard) via former NKP
9) Crew van to Chicago Loop
10) El to O'Hare
11) Flight ORD to PHL

And all this fit into a three-day weekend!

Posts: 614 | From: Merchantville, NJ. USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rresor
Member # 128

Rate Member
Sorry, typo. 1993, not 1971.
PullmanCo
Member # 1138

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PullmanCo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Randy,

I was actually at Neff taking pictures of that arrival.

3985 is a wonderfully good-looking locomotive!

Posts: 1404 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TBlack
Member # 181

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TBlack     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1956; Boston to Spokane, WA the long way: 5 trains, 2 boats:

Train from Boston to Toronto
Steam powered boat train from Toronto to Port McNicoll (open platform observation car)
SS Keewatin from Port McNicoll to Fort William
Steam powered boat train from Fort William to Winnipeg
The Canadian from Winnipeg to Vancouver
Ferry from Vancouver to Seattle
Western Star from Seattle to Spokane

Takes about a week, as I recall.

Posts: 518 | From: Maynard, MA, USA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John Hull
Member # 4465

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for John Hull     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Last November we spent two weeks on a kind of circular tour from San Francisco to celebrate our birthdays (as if we needed an excuse!).
1) Caltrain SF to San Jose
2) Thruway coach to San Luis Obispo
3) Pacific Surfliner to Santa Barbara (2 nights)
4) Santa Barbara to LA
5) Texas Eagle to Austin (2 nights)
6) Texas Eagle to Springfield Ill.
7) Bus connection to Galesburg (1 night)
8) CZ to Sacramento (2 nights)
9) Sacramento to Merced
10)Bus Merced to Yosemite and return
11)Merced to Stockton
12)Thruway coach Stockton to Sacramento
13) Sacramento to Oakland Coliseum
14) BART Oakland Colisuem to SFO

It wasn't as tiring as it may seem. The hotels were good and the first class accommodation was great.
I have a bigger trip planned, but it must wait till a health problem is cleared for flying. Sadly I cannot afford the time or money to sail across 'the pond' on the Queen Mary 2!
John

Posts: 41 | From: Yaxham, Norfolk, UK | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CoastStarlight99
Member # 2734

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for CoastStarlight99   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am looking forward to Chris Guenzler's response!
Posts: 1082 | From: Los Angeles, CA. USA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dixiebreeze
Member # 3224

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dixiebreeze     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My most diversified was early this September. Auto for 2 hours to board the Silver Star to D.C., then the Capitol Ltd. to Chicago and then the Zephyr to Martinez (Calif.). On the return, Southwest Airlines to Phoenix and then Southwest again to Tampa, and another 2 hour auto trip home.
Posts: 133 | From: Florida, U.S.A. | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CG96
Member # 1408

Rate Member
Icon 7 posted      Profile for CG96     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
3. Going on trips between WI, or MN, and Florida. First the Empire Builder, then the Capitol (though I have managed to get one trip aboard the Cardinal), then Silver Service to Florida. Several of my trip reports can be found in the "Trip Reports" section of this website.

--------------------
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one corner of the Earth all one's life."

Posts: 506 | From: Wisconsin | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dixie Flyer
Member # 4640

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dixie Flyer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Excellent comment, CoastStarlight99!

--------------------
Richard T.

Posts: 30 | From: Northwest Georgia | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chrisg
Member # 2488

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted      Profile for chrisg   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My 33 day train trip went like this.
1. 763 San Diegan Santa Ana to Los Angeles
2. 14 Los Angeles to Seattle
3. 760 Mt Baker International Seattle to Vancouver
4. 2 The Canadian Vancouver to Sudbury Jct
a Canadian Family drove me into Sudbury
5. 185 Lake Superior Sudbury to White River
6. 186 Lake Superior White River to Franz
7. Algoma Central 2 Franz to Canyon
8. Algoma Central 1 Canyon to Hearst
ONR Van Hearst to Cochrane
9. 427 Polar Bear Express Cochrane to Monsoonee
10. 624 Polar Bear Express Monsoonee to Cochrane
11. 122 The Northlander Cochrane to Toronto
12. 50 Enterprise Toronto to Montreal
13. 68 Adriondack Montreal to New York City
14. Northeast Direct 178 New York City to New Haven
15. 67 Twilight Shoreliner New Haven to Washington, DC
16. MARC 842 Washington to Dorsey
17. MARC 851 Dorsey to Washington
18. Metroliner 116 Washington to Philadelphia
19. NJT 4615 Philadelphia to Atlantic City
20. NJT 4602 Atlantic City to Philadelphia
21. 58 The Vermonter Philadelphia to St. Albans
22. Thruway Bus St Albans to Montreal
23. 26 Montreal to Quebec City
Rental Car to Sept Isle
24. QNSL Sept Isle to Labrador City
25. QNSL Labrador City to Sept Isle
26. QNSL Sept Isle to Shefferville
27. QNSL Shefferville to Sept Isle
28. Rental Car back to Quebec City
29. 23 Quebec City to Montreal
30. Subway to and from Expo Game at Olympic Staduim
31. 14 The Ocean Montreal to Halifax
32. 618 Bras de Or Halifax to Sydney
Finished all of Via at Sydney
33. 619 Bras de Or Sydney to Halifax
34. 15 Halifax to Montreal
35. Bus for Adriondack due to CP Rail freight
derailment
36. 48 Lake Shore Limited Albany to Chicago
37. 850 Chicago to Jeffersonville
38. 851 Jeffersonville to Chicago
39. 28 Empire Builder Chicago to Portland
40. 11 Coast Starlight Portland to Los Angeles
41. Bus in place of San Diegan due to late Starlight into Los Angeles
Walked home from Santa Ana Train Station

You can read all about it at:
http://www.trainweb.org/chris
on the 1980-2005 page

Chris

Posts: 711 | From: Santa Ana | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page