RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Viewing Acela Express at top speed

Author Topic: Viewing Acela Express at top speed
vthokie
Member # 1456

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for vthokie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just curious, are there any stations where the Acela Express passes by at 150 mph? I think Mansfield and Attleboro (in Mass) are within 150 mph territory, but I thought I'd see if anyone can confirm that.
Posts: 56 | From: Hawley, PA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TBlack
Member # 181

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TBlack     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think the fast stretch is farther south than that. Try between Providence and the RI/CT border
Posts: 518 | From: Maynard, MA, USA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
irishchieftain
Member # 1473

Icon 1 posted      Profile for irishchieftain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh man this topic again...
You know, those trains were supposed to do 150 mph on vast stretches of the NEC...and funny thing is, they don't even accelerate up to that speed on the original test segment near Princeton Junction, NJ. I apologize for my vitriol, but this just leaves a bad taste in my mouth...because it was put on the public about four years before the train appeared that it would be zipping around the reverse curve in Elizabeth, NJ at about 100 mph (at least) and cruising down the former PRR at that touted 150 mph. (Of course, they got out of it with that "up to 150 mph" clever talking...)

Posts: 566 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 4 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Acela is authorized 150mph (working Eastward) MP 162-170 (8mi) and again MP 195-205 (10mi) total 18 miles of 456.

That's all Folks!

[This message has been edited by Gilbert B Norman (edited 05-02-2002).]

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
irishchieftain
Member # 1473

Icon 1 posted      Profile for irishchieftain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's all Folks!

Yeah, and if things continue as is, that's all there ever will be in the US...

Posts: 566 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vthokie
Member # 1456

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for vthokie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay, so can anyone tell me if Attleboro and/or Mansfield are between mileposts 195 and 205?
Posts: 56 | From: Hawley, PA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rresor
Member # 128

Rate Member
Icon 6 posted      Profile for rresor     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Attleboro is at MP 196.9, Mansfield is at MP 204, so you can choose either.

Have fun!

Posts: 614 | From: Merchantville, NJ. USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vthokie
Member # 1456

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted      Profile for vthokie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Excellent, thanks, that's exactly what I wanted to know! Hmm, since Mansfield is only a mile from the end of 150 territory, will they still be accelerating/decelerating at that point, or will they be at 150 mph?

In response to irishchieftain's earlier post, yeah, I too was disappointed that there wouldn't be 150 mph running on the New York - Washington segment, particularly on the straight stretch from New Brunswick to Trenton, NJ. At least they raised it to 135 mph - that's better than nothing. Still, I hope they replace those old wires soon with constant tension catenary!

drew_henderson
Member # 1480

Rate Member
Icon 13 posted      Profile for drew_henderson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by vthokie:
... Still, I hope they replace those old wires soon with constant tension catenary!

You and me both. Can't tell you how many times NJT/Amtrak trains get delayed because of downed wires.

Posts: 22 | From: Yardley, PA US | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
irishchieftain
Member # 1473

Well, the constant-tension catenary won't increase the number of miles past 45 that the Acela Express will run at 150 mph on the NEC, apparently...that is, unless the FRA cleans house...
vthokie
Member # 1456

Rate Member
That's okay, I really just want to see 150 on that straight stretch through Princeton Junction. I'm sure there will be plenty of additional miles that will support speeds in the 125 - 135 mph range.

Also, they need new wires just to put an end to those hot weather speed restrictions!

[This message has been edited by vthokie (edited 05-15-2002).]

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page