RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » 360 Tours of Superliner

Author Topic: 360 Tours of Superliner
Southwest Chief
Member # 1227

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Southwest Chief   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wanted to view the 360 tours offered by TrainWeb of a Superliner lounge for HO modeling purposes. But it would not load for me.

I use Firefox and apparently need a plug-in for it to work. But when I tried to automatically download the plug-in, none could be found.

Has anyone else using Firefox (my version is 1.5.0.9) been able to view the 360 tours?

--------------------
Matt
Visit gallery for photos of our train layouts

Posts: 579 | From: San Bernardino Subdivison | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for smitty195     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Matt,

I'm on a Mac using both Safari and Firefox, so I can check on my end if you'd like. Can you give the URL?

Andy

Posts: 2355 | From: Pleasanton, CA | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Southwest Chief
Member # 1227

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Southwest Chief   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How silly of me, forgot to post the URL [Roll Eyes]

Here is the one I tried:
http://www.360360.com/trains/slslcar.html

And this is the main page:
http://www.360360.com/

--------------------
Matt

Posts: 579 | From: San Bernardino Subdivison | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Southwest Chief
Member # 1227

Member Rated:
After more research I found that the plug-in is for IPIX. And I downloaded and installed the plug-in (2 .dll files) directly from their website for XP and Firefox, and it didn't work.

Here is what I downloaded if this helps:
http://www.ipix.com/download/manual.html

The interesting thing though is I no longer get the plug-in required for this site, but the picture never loads and remains blank. So I must be on the right track so to speak.

--------------------
Matt

Southwest Chief
Member # 1227

Member Rated:
I got it !!!!

Ok I needed a special .xpi file what ever that is. Here is the link to anyone having similar trouble and uses Firefox 1.5:

http://www.firefoxdownload.org.cn/ipix-plugin.html

Simply download the file (npipx32.xpi) by clicking on the Install button. It will download the file to your desktop (or wherever you have downloaded files go). The all you have to do is move the file into the plugin folder of Mozilla Firefox (usually located in your Program Files Folder).

--------------------
Matt

smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for smitty195     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm glad it finally worked for you! On my end, it worked right away without me doing anything to it. I'm running a Mac with OS 10.4.10 and Safari. With Fireofx, I am using version 1.5.0.1. I did not have to do anything special with Firefox either. Hmmmm....

As a side note, on the TrainWeb page that shows the interior of the Superliner Sightseer Lounge car (the first link you gave), if you move to the right and you go past the upstairs bar area, just to the right of that you will see a cardboard trash can and then 2 built-in trash cabinets. On the Sightseer Lounge Car I was in the other day, I was very surprised to see that the 2 trash cabinets had been removed and they installed a pay phone booth!!! Yep---a pay phone booth. What in the heck is Amtrak thinking???? They spent money to do this at the same time they have discontinued pay phone service on ALL trains! I understand why they discontinued pay phone service, since almost everyone has a cell phone now (except Chris Guenzler!). On Acela, the pay phones are still there but there is a digital display message that says they are no longer connected. In the Pacific Parlour Cars, the pay phones are gone and the hole in the wall was replaced by a Beech Grove plaque. I find it very difficult to understand Amtrak sometimes-----spending the bucks to build and install a pay phone at the same time they are turning them all off.

Posts: 2355 | From: Pleasanton, CA | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
climbguy
Member # 5879

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for climbguy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am still having trouble, I downloaded the plugin but can't figure out where to install it.
Posts: 12 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Southwest Chief
Member # 1227

Member Rated:
1st:
What is your Firefox version? This is easily found by opening your browser, clicking on help, then clicking on "About Mozilla Firefox". My version is 1.5.0.9, and could be updated but I haven't done this yet.

2nd:
Which plugin(s) did you download?

The Ipix site suggets the files named AppSub32.dll and NPIpx32.dll but for me these did little. What you should use is the file named npipx32.xpi and this can be found here:

http://www.firefoxdownload.org.cn/ipix-plugin.html

3rd:
Then you have to place this plugin in the Mozilla Firefox plugin folder. On my computer this folder can be found here:

C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\plugins

Not knowing where your Firefox folder is located gives me little to go on with showing where to install the plugin.

4th:
For more information about Firefox's apparent incapability with Ipix, scroll down to the June 19 2004 entry, or Ctrl F "Ipix" to find this entry fast at this link:

http://www.computergripes.com/firefox.0.8.html

--------------------
Matt

climbguy
Member # 5879

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for climbguy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry, I am running OSX.4 with firefox version 2.0.0.6. Do you know how to do it on a Mac?

thanks!

Posts: 12 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
a meyer
Member # 4954

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for a meyer   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
climbguy,
I am also a Mac user and have had problems with IPIX images.
Apparently IPIX has not provided a plugin for the newer Macs with the Intel processor. These new Macs have been on the market since June of 2006, so if your Mac is Intel based, IPIX is not "native".
However, I can view IPIX images on my Intel based Mac by running the web browser (Safari or Firefox) in "Rosetta".

I actually use Safari.

To do this:
1) quit Safari or Firefox
2) find the browser app file in the Applicatons folder
3) right click on the icon (or hold the CTRL key and click)
4) choose "Get info"
5) click on "Open using Rosetta"
Restart your browser and go to the trainweb 360 site and hopefully it will work. Unfortunately, when running Safari in Rosetta, it does run slower, so you may want to switch back after using IPIX sites.

Good luck,
Andy

Posts: 120 | From: Arizona | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
climbguy
Member # 5879

Rate Member
Thanks Andy that worked. I can't believe iPix still doesn't have a driver for intel macs.

On a different note I see the inside of the sleeping car is the old version before they were refurbished. Does anyone know if there are 360 tours of the new cars?

Southwest Chief
Member # 1227

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by climbguy:
Does anyone know if there are 360 tours of the new cars?

The available 360 sleeper tour is of a Superliner II. Unfortunately there aren't any 360 tours yet of a refurbished Superliner I sleeper. But there are some great interior comparison photos found at this link provided by our own Mr. Toy:
Link 1

And while not the best for interior details, my sister shot a brief interior run through video of a partially refurbished sleeper (32019) seen here:
Link 2

--------------------
Matt

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page