RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Pacific Surfliner Trip

Author Topic: Pacific Surfliner Trip
MontanaJim
Member # 2323

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MontanaJim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I took the surfliner business class roundtrip from LA to San Diego a couple of weeks ago to go to a padres game. I used agr points.

I was very pleased with business class, and think spending the extra points was worth it. Was guaranteed a seat, had all kinds of snacks, newspaper, and red wine on the way to SD. Had a good trip.

The trip made me want to go back to the area and camp a night or two on the beach. Does anyone know of any campgrounds along the coast between LA and SD that are near one of the Amtrak stops? I dont want to rent a car or anything, would like to walk to the campground from the station if possible.

Posts: 416 | From: St. Albans, Vermont | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PaulB
Member # 4258

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for PaulB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There is a camp site at San Onofre. You could take the Surfliner and jump off right after you pass the nuclear power plant going south. However, the train's going close to 90 mph through there, so I wouldn't recommend it [Smile] Plus the campsite is usually booked up.
Posts: 286 | From: Knee deep in the retention tank | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
railrev
Member # 2640

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for railrev     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
San Clemente State Beach is not far from the stop at the San Clemente Pier. Probably less than two miles along the beach, then up a hill to the campground.

South Carlsbad is a bus ride from the Oceanside station unless you arrive at a time when you could board a southbound coaster. Ride two stops to Carlsbad Poinsettia and walk west about half a mile and you'll be at the entrance to South Carlsbad State Beach.

Both have long lead times to get in with an RV, but a tent camper may be able to get in a little easier.

--------------------
Railrev
Escondido, CA

Posts: 99 | From: Escondido, California | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cubzo
Member # 4700

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for cubzo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When you say camp do you mean tent or RV?
Posts: 229 | From: Long Beach CA | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TwinStarRocket
Member # 2142

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TwinStarRocket     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do they allow an RV as carry-on luggage on the Surfliner?
Posts: 1572 | From: St. Paul, MN | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cubzo
Member # 4700

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for cubzo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
oops guess I didnt read it with my eyes open, common mistake for me.
Posts: 229 | From: Long Beach CA | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Afraid I can't help you, Jim; I'm quite happy to "camp out" at campgrounds, so long as they have names like Holiday Inn, Marriott, and Hyatt.
Posts: 9976 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
William Tuft
Member # 5916

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for William Tuft     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Try Campland by the Bay. You can find them @ Campland.com Located on the north shore of Mission Bay. It's a very nice , safe place and relatively close to Old Town station. Surfliners stop @ this station on Sat/Sun only. It's a 5 minute taxi ride from there or ride to the end of the line @ the Santa Fe Depot downtown and take a 10 minute taxi ride.
I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Posts: 2 | From: San Diego, CA. | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page