RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Philadelphia For Two Hours

Author Topic: Philadelphia For Two Hours
Railroad Bill
Member # 5097

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Railroad Bill     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My wife and I will be returning home to Ohio from D.C. via Philadelphia in October and then the Pennsylvanian to Pittsburgh. May have a two hour wait in Philly. Anything interesting to see around the 30th St Station in this short amount of time. A good restaurant--tourist trap--historic building, etc. Thanks for your never-ending assistance to Amtrak travelers.
Posts: 87 | From: Ohio | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for smitty195     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you're traveling in a sleeper, you will have access to Club Acela located on the 2nd floor. They have free wi-fi access, and if you don't have a computer, there are a few there for you to use for free (including a printer). I was there a few weeks ago for the first time, and I was not impressed by the surrounding area. Train stations are usually in the not-so-great part of towns, and this is no exception. I got a rental car at Philly (downstairs in the creepy garage), and used a navigation unit to get out to Broomall. It took me through the WORST projects I've ever seen, which were just a few blocks from the station. I'm glad I made it out of there alive.

Maybe someone who knows the area better can give you some better advice, but from my perspective, just hang out in the station.

Posts: 2355 | From: Pleasanton, CA | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jp1822
Member # 2596

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for jp1822     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wouldn't the Capitol Limited be a better and direct option for your travel from DC to Ohio - more direct and no change of train?

You are travelling back to Ohio from DC via Philadelphia right? So you are taking a NEC train northbound to Philly, then at Philly transferring to the Pennsylvanian and then at Pittsburgh transferring to the Capitol Limited? Or are you terminating your trip in Pittsburgh an not going on from there via the Capitol Limited?

Curious as to why you've chosen to take this routing over the Capitol Limited.

If it is only a 2 hour layover, I'd probably stay at the station, and unfortunately, there is no great restaurant at the station. You'd have to go more towards center city and take a cab. But then you'd have to get a cab back to 30th St. Philadelphia Station.

If you don't have sleeper accomodations or First Class accommodations via the NEC (on Acela Express), you won't be able to get into Club Acela. Pennsylvanian doesn't offer sleeper accomodations.

Business class aboard the Pennsylvanian is certainly worth the extra fare if you want my opinion (it's a 1/2 cafe and 1/2 business class car with 2-1 seating). I don't think it is that much more money from Philly to Pittsburgh. You'll get extra legroom and at least free soft drinks aboard!

Course I'd be more apt at taking the Capitol Limited to avoid the transfers and the Cap offers better service with the Superliner equipment - full service diner and you could probably get a sleeper for a descent price, even though you may not be onboard for a full overnight (sleeper class entitles you to free meals in the diner and privacy of your own room).

Posts: 337 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
20th Century
Member # 2196

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for 20th Century     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Phil. 30th Station is on the Schuylkil(?)River. Itself it is not in a bad part of town, but Philly does have some places I dare not wander. You need to cross that river and head east towards Center City and Society Hill for the attractions.
However your 2hr. window would make it difficult. SEPTA(rail/bus transit) trains stop at the station.

Posts: 498 | From: New Hope, PA, USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Liberty Limited
Member # 4300

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Liberty Limited   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you're travelling into Center City on a weekday, it's an easy jaunt across the river into Center City via one of the SEPTA Regional Rail Lines. According to the Amtrak timetable, the holding of a valid ticket with the day's date enables you free passage on the SEPTA Regional Rail lines between 30th Street and Market East. I've never seen SEPTA Conductors check tickets on this stretch anyway, but you are covered if they do.

You could ride one stop East to Suburban Station or two stops east to Market East. Near there, you should find something to your liking, even if its in the food court of the Gallery Mall attached to Market East. Better yet, you might want to consider the Reading Terminal Market nearby.

I've alighted an NEC Amtrak train, and been walking through Center City less than 10 minutes later using this connection. Once you alight and come into the main station, head to the West (to the left of the the direction your train was travelling) and follow the signs for the SEPTA trains, then look at the LED signs leading to the platforms nearest you to find the next train heading East towards Center City.

Reverse the process returning. To me, it's easy.

--------------------
History of Baltimore and Baltimore Transit - Visit http://www.btco.net !

Posts: 86 | From: Baltimore | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't think there is much to worry about crimewise right by the station or in Center City, but 2 hrs will be tough to see much. By the time you deboard your train and get into Center City, you will have to turn around again pretty soon. What I'd do is pay a cabbie to take you past a few famous things--the famous City Hall, Independence Hall, Franklin Av/art museum and bring you back to the station.

Or, as noted, just 30th St Station is worth exploring itself, architecturally interesting. Ask at the Amtrak desk if they have a handout with info on the station, but even if not, you can explore. (Sometimes there are even walking tours of the tstation, but it's unlikely you'd hit one just when you are there.) Most notably, there's a mural from the old Broad St station, and the famous angel-like statue (honoring train personnel who died in WWII, as I recall), as seen in Witness. You should watch Witness before you embark on your trip--great movie, with some famous scenes at this station in the 80s, when there was more crime than now. (You may not want to use the men's room afterward, hahaha . . . )

But I too don't understand why you are going through Philadelphia and Pittsburgh to get to Ohio, rather than the Capitol Ltd. Is it because your Ohio stop is only on the Lakeshore Ltd??? or were you just wanting to take the Pennsylvanian (which is quite nice--Main Line after Ohiladelphia, Amish country, crossing Susquehanna at Harrisburg (also 3 Mile Island!)--and esp Horsehoe Cruve. Be sure to sit on the left facing forward when you are in the area of the Horsehoe Curve (around Altoona).

Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you enjoy watching trains, explore around 30th St. Station and find the hallway/ramp that leads up to the second level, where the SEPTA trains arrive and depart. I just found that area on my last trip through Philly (2002)-- didn't know it was there before!

Also -- there are several "eateries" in 30th Street Station, plus ssveral shops to walk around.

Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks, Mr Norman, I fixed the post
Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Railroad Bill
Member # 5097

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Railroad Bill     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks all for the information. We are taking the Pennsylvanian home because our eastbound trip to Washington was on the Capitol and we wanted to ride the Pennsylvanian across PA to see Horseshoe Curve from a train perspective. We also wanted to ride an NEC train since that will be a new experience as well. We have become Amtrak nuts since our trip on the EB and CZ this past summer and now have a bunch of Amtrak trips scheduled to ride around the country. (This retirement thing is really catching on**smile). We will probably just stay around the station. Take a tour of the building and watch trains. We do have business class scheduled for the Pennsylvanian so that will be nice also. The only part we are not too crazy about is the long wait in Pittsburgh to get the Capitol back to Cleveland. But will find something to do in Pitt for the three hours or so wait there.
Thanks again for all the great advice on this site.
Railroad and Mrs. Bill

Posts: 87 | From: Ohio | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MontanaJim
Member # 2323

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MontanaJim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
take a quick cab ride to the southside of philly and have an authentic cheesesteak at either genos or pat's (or both!). Most authentic philly experience you can get.
Posts: 416 | From: St. Albans, Vermont | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
train lady
Member # 3920

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for train lady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bill, another thing you might consider is taking the train to a central point and then driving around. We Amtraked from DC to Seattle, rented a car there and then drove up into BC and Alberta. For some years we went to Denver and from there (each trip to a different place) drove all over the west. Another time we took the train to SF and then drove up into Oregon and back down the coast. And It can be done for a moderate cost. One of the joys of being retired!!
Posts: 1577 | From: virginia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page