RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Grandluxe cancels some trips

Author Topic: Grandluxe cancels some trips
royaltrain
Member # 622

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for royaltrain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just received a phone call from Grandluxe Rail informing me that due to "lack of interest" the Grandluxe journey from L.A. to Chicago on the 28th of Dec. 2007 is cancelled. I was told that the last trip out of Los Angeles would be the 13th of Dec. They did offer to rebook me on another date and give me a $200 discount. Unfortunately I could not possibly book for an earlier date, and therefore I told them to cancel my booking and refund my $500 deposit. This is most disappointing as I was looking forward to this trip (as well I guess I forfeit my $100 beverage certificate).

I now need to book a bedroom on the Chief for that date. I just hope there is space available.

Posts: 524 | From: Toronto Ont. Canada | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OHOHOHOH....looks like if you want to try it out, it's now or never.

And judging from Mr. Royal's report, try it out will be when THEY want you to try it out.

Posts: 9976 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for smitty195     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is this the Grandluxe trip where a few cars would be tacked on to the rear of the Southwest Chief, or is this a Grandluxe-only trip?
Posts: 2355 | From: Pleasanton, CA | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
royaltrain
Member # 622

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for royaltrain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by smitty195:
Is this the Grandluxe trip where a few cars would be tacked on to the rear of the Southwest Chief, or is this a Grandluxe-only trip?

This is the trip where the Grandluxe cars would have been attached to the rear of the Southwest Chief. I just checked Grandluxe's website and it now shows just three trains out of L.A. to Chicago: Dec 3,8,13, and from Chicago: Dec. 1,6,11. For the Zephyr it now shows just November departures: 2,8,14,20 from Emeryville, and 5,11,17,23 from Chicago. I didn't check any other services.
Posts: 524 | From: Toronto Ont. Canada | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jerome Nicholson
Member # 3116

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jerome Nicholson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, oh...doesn't sound good. I wonder how they are doing on the Silver Star - I've already paid for a DC - Orlando trip on Dec.12.
Posts: 510 | From: Richmond VA USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
royaltrain
Member # 622

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by Jerome Nicholson:
Oh, oh...doesn't sound good. I wonder how they are doing on the Silver Star - I've already paid for a DC - Orlando trip on Dec.12.

I just checked their website and Dec. 12 is not listed. It shows departures from DC to Orlando and Miami as Dec: 18,21,27,31.
smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for smitty195     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmmmmmm......not too good. I had hopes of this new service doing very well. I guess it wasn't meant to be. Maybe third time's a charm? [Smile]
Posts: 2355 | From: Pleasanton, CA | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jerome Nicholson
Member # 3116

Member Rated:
Icon 9 posted      Profile for Jerome Nicholson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by royaltrain:
quote:

I just checked their website and Dec. 12 is not listed. It shows departures from DC to Orlando and Miami as Dec: 18,21,27,31.
[Confused] I HOPE it's because they're sold out! I'd better call them now!
Posts: 510 | From: Richmond VA USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
While my family name is Norman and not Nostradamus, stand by for some deep discounting, which will only alienate those who stepped up to 'pay the piper" in full.
Posts: 9976 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jerome Nicholson
Member # 3116

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jerome Nicholson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's true! OMG!!! [Eek!] They've cancelled my trip and didn't tell me or my travel agent! Now I've got to reschedule!
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It may be the endpoint to endpoint service that is discouraging bookings. If they were willing to pick up people along the way as Amtrak does it might be a different story.

Or maybe its hard to get people on a luxury cruise three days after Christmas when everyone is burned out from holiday events.

Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jerome Nicholson
Member # 3116

Member Rated:
As far as DC - Miami is concerned, they added Orlando and Ft. Lauderdale as stops; I guess they found their platforms long enough to take such a long train. Did they agree to add intermediate stops on the Chief and Zephyr routes?
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
While I recognize that GrandLuxe differs from your basic first class accomodation (3 hots and a cot), this does not bode well for those who believe Amtrak should outsource their first-class services.

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
David, I'm not sure outsourcing is the issue. The economy is taking a downturn right now, so luxury transportation is probably not going to fare too well. It may just be bad timing, but I think it shows that trains need to appeal to the masses to be successful. Amtrak's existing classes of service do that fairly well in half a dozen Superliners per train. But trying to fill seven more cars with high-end fares may be expecting too much. I wish them success, but perhaps there is a need here for more market research. The theory that long distance trains are primarily "land cruises" may lose some ground if Amtrak can fill trains but GrandLuxe cannot.
Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kiernan
Member # 3828

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kiernan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When the Grandluxe train was here in Lamy earlier in the summer, I went out to take some pictures. I was disappointed and took pictures of the church in Lamy instead. The cars looked beat up and I'm not at all surprised that they can't fill them. And as I've asked before, why would you want to be downstairs in Grandluxe when you can be upstairs in Amtrak where you can actually see something?

--------------------
Kiernan

Posts: 155 | From: Santa Fe, New Mexico | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can't say I'm too surprised at all these Grandluxe cancellations.............

The old AOE, "self-supplied" luxury cruises (not attached to the end of an AMTRAK train) can't be beat...........

Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Toy:
David, I'm not sure outsourcing is the issue. The economy is taking a downturn right now, so luxury transportation is probably not going to fare too well. It may just be bad timing, but I think it shows that trains need to appeal to the masses to be successful. Amtrak's existing classes of service do that fairly well in half a dozen Superliners per train. But trying to fill seven more cars with high-end fares may be expecting too much. I wish them success, but perhaps there is a need here for more market research. The theory that long distance trains are primarily "land cruises" may lose some ground if Amtrak can fill trains but GrandLuxe cannot.

Valid point Mr. Toy.

I wonder if shedding the theory that Amtrak's long distance trains are primarily 'land cruises' will be something that would benefit Amtrak in the long run?

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Mr. Toy, when comparing Grand Luxe single level equipment with Superliners and their stated "50 pax per train", we are talking four Superliners; three 10BR Sleepers (as assigned to Auto Train) and some kind of Diner-Lounge. That is probably the best reconcilment to your statement regarding "seven more cars'.
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
GBN, I know. I half expected someone to point out the capacity differences between car types. I was just trying to point out that it is lot of cars to fill at high-end prices on a regular schedule. There may be a market for high-end service on some regularly scheduled trains, but I would be surprised if they could draw more than a handful of big spenders (maybe one luxury sleeping car full) on a single run.
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
quote:
As far as DC - Miami is concerned, they added Orlando and Ft. Lauderdale as stops;

Mr. Nicholson, West Palm Beach vice Ft Lauderdale
Jerome Nicholson
Member # 3116

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by Gilbert B Norman:
quote:
As far as DC - Miami is concerned, they added Orlando and Ft. Lauderdale as stops;

Mr. Nicholson, West Palm Beach vice Ft Lauderdale
Right! My mistake.
PullmanCo
Member # 1138

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PullmanCo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A few comments:

Looking at the GL website, it looks like they decided to run a single consist through the winter season:\

Denver to Emerville, then running 3 weeks or so on the CZ.

After the last westward run in Chicago, ferry it to Chicago, pop it from the Zephyr to 3-4 and run it on the Fast Mail.

Finally, ferry it to DC, run it in Florida service, then after tne new year take it home to Denver.

From anecdotes, there seem to be growing questions about the quality of the service provided. As Mr Norman will attest, once upon a time, Pullman had excellent bedding for a berth. Lord knows I got good nights sleep in both lowers and uppers! At least one person out there has complained about mattresses, and about the lack of linen changes. Further, during the summer season, there are comments about cars going hot from dropping A/C for whatever reason.

Finally, to those commenting about "downstairs," remember that floor height on a standard car is about 51" above the rails. Standard cars are all above the wheel-line, where the lower deck of a SL/CA car is well below axle height!

Posts: 1404 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page