RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » New AGR Card (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: New AGR Card
Judy McFarland
Member # 4435

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Judy McFarland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My new AGR card arrived yesterday - but it does not have my AGR number on it like the old one did - so now I have to write that number somewhere to keep it with the card - maybe on the signature space on the back. What a pain! [Mad]

--------------------
My new "default" station (EKH) has no baggage service or QuikTrak machine, but the parking is free! And the NY Central RR Museum is just across the tracks (but not open at Amtrak train times. . ..)

Posts: 337 | From: Goshen, IN | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CoastStarlight99
Member # 2734

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for CoastStarlight99   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This must be Amtrak trying to cut back on costs. Now, I imagine the # is embedded in the magnetic stripe so when an agents gets your card they just swipe it instead of manually entering the number. This however is inconvenient for entering your # on the phone, or online when you have to look it up...
I wonder if my Select card this Spring will look like this as well...

Posts: 1082 | From: Los Angeles, CA. USA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chile2
Member # 3110

Rate Member
Icon 12 posted      Profile for chile2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My guess is that it may be the overall increased data security that has been happening with the credit card industry recently. By not putting the number on the card, it means that if someone finds a lost card, or steals it, there's less information for them to use. But, less convenient for us, I'd agree.

Good to hear you have your card, so hopefully (knock on wood) mine should be here soon......my daughter has great plans for burning a hole in it!

Posts: 72 | From: USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just spent a couple of hundred dollars on Amtrak tickets on another card a couple of days ago. The trip is coming up next weekend and I didn't think that my new card would be in my hands quickly enough to use.

At least I can start acculating Amtrak points again at my BWI area hotel.

Just out of curiousity, I applied for the new AGR card on-line the first day they were available September 10th. Is that how you did it?

David

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for smitty195     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just got mine too! Activation was simple (no sales pitch from Indian customer service this time), and I've already made an online purchase with it........here come the 8,000 AGR bonus points!
Posts: 2355 | From: Pleasanton, CA | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
palmland
Member # 4344

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for palmland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for bringing this up. I pre-registered for the card some time ago but forgot how many bonus points that early registration got me. I thought it was more than 8000?? We've been gone a lot this summer so I guess I need to apply - is the best way through Amtrak guest rewards or directly with Chase? thanks.
Posts: 2397 | From: Camden, SC | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well.......mine did not arrive today.

Maybe tomorrow. We do live in a small town which the post office considers 'remote'.

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Judy McFarland
Member # 4435

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Judy McFarland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To reply to earlier post by "notelvis" - yes, I did apply online as soon as I got that email. I had also "pre-registered" in late April (I think) in response to an email invitation to do so.

I haven't used mine yet, but I have to pay the balance of my room reservation for Christmas at the Izaak Walton Inn & that will be the cardI use.

--------------------
My new "default" station (EKH) has no baggage service or QuikTrak machine, but the parking is free! And the NY Central RR Museum is just across the tracks (but not open at Amtrak train times. . ..)

Posts: 337 | From: Goshen, IN | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jerome Nicholson
Member # 3116

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jerome Nicholson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just joined two weeks ago, and no card yet. I was told that I get bonus rewards if I take a train trip within 30 days of joining. Does the distance of the trip matter?
Posts: 510 | From: Richmond VA USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Distance probably doesn't matter.....you could probably do a Richmond - DC rountrip.....or Ashland, VA to Alexandria.....and it would only take a few hours.

Do be aware that they are really good at tracking whether or not you actually take the trip. The points don't accumulate until after the trip and then only if your ticket was properly collected.

Thanks for your reply Judy. I too had pre-registered and I did apply on-line when I got home September 10th......but it was after normal business hours.

--------------------
David Pressley

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Trainut
Member # 4052

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Trainut   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I pre-registered months ago, and have not received an application or anything. I tried to apply again on line, but it said you already have applied. Does anyone have any suggestions on what I should do?
You people that already have your card make me envious.

Posts: 39 | From: Saint Croix Falls | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for smitty195     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You can give Chase a call to see what's up. Here is their phone number:

800-432-3117

You should have received an email a few weeks ago. Since you've heard nothing, it might be lost in "the system" somewhere. Everyone else I've talked to who signed up for it a few months ago has already received the sign-up email, and most have received the card already. Good luck---I hope that phone number doesn't go to India!

Posts: 2355 | From: Pleasanton, CA | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
City of Miami
Member # 2922

Icon 1 posted      Profile for City of Miami     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeeeaaa! Mine came today too. I have already made an activation purchase. As a matter of fact I just made my first Amtrak reservation. With the 8K points plus double points for that one, I'm well on my way to my next complimentary trip!
Posts: 326 | From: San Antonio Texas USA | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I got my card today and just activated it. I didn't speak to a "live" person in India or elsewhere during the whole process of activation and PIN selection.

I'm a little confused about the language on the 8,000 points. It says 4,000 will be in the Chase account and 4,000 in the Amtrak account. Can the 4,000 in Chase be transferred to Amtrak?

Frank in cloudy SBA

Posts: 2160 | From: Santa Barbara, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
Frank,

I noticed the same thing recently in the fine print. I asked about this on another railfan website, and was told that 4,000 points will go directly into your AGR account as "bonus points", and 4,000 points will go on your Chase statement, which then transfer over to your AGR account as "credit card points". I'm still scratching my head and don't really understand it, other than we will get 8,000 points in our AGR accounts either way. Maybe this is a bookeeping issue, or a rules thing? I haven't really figured it out.

Andy
(PS: Is it 4,000 and 4,000? I'm trying to recall, but I thought it was 5,000 and 3,000. Hmmm...either way, it's still 8,000)

sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I haven't received mine yet, but I was a little late in applying. I'm just guessing, but perhaps the reason for the points being divided could have to do with who is giving the bonus, Chase or Amtrak, with some of the points coming from Amtrak, others coming from Chase. Chase must give Amtrak something for our transactions on the card (since it makes money when we use the card), so if Chase gives a bonus, it must give Amtrak something for that too. If this is the case, the points division doesn't affect the card holder but just has to do with the business arrangements between Chase and Amtrak.
Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chile2
Member # 3110

Rate Member
Icon 6 posted      Profile for chile2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It was driving me nuts to read about everyone getting their AGR cards already and mine hasn't come yet. So, I got on Amtrak's website, followed the link to the Guest Rewards card, and called the number they gave (1-800-385-4995).

After calling, follow the prompts, and the automated answers will tell you if you've been approved and if the card is on its way. I went ahead and also talked to an agent, just to be sure they had my correct mailing address as I'm never sure with filling out online forms. The agent said the card was mailed yesterday and would take 7-10 days to arrive. Golly, I hope the US Post Office isn't that slow, but they could be [Wink] . The agent also said to call them if the card did not arrive by the end of the first week in Oct. Anyway, it makes me feel a bit better to check up on it and I thought I'd mention it in case others wanted to do the same.

Also, for those who missed out on any emailing about the new card, you can use the Amtrak link and number above to phone in your application.

Posts: 72 | From: USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
moxeetwo
Member # 3326

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for moxeetwo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I applied on Sept. 17th, I just called to check the status of my application, it said they would respond within 30days. Just wanted to know why some of you have received your card so soon after applying.
Posts: 4 | From: St. Helens, Oregon | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TwinStarRocket
Member # 2142

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TwinStarRocket     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good thing trainweb is here for us to find out about the glitches. I tried the phone number chili2 mentioned, and they never recieved my application. Back when I thought I was applying, I was surprised they asked for so little info. I thought they might have my data pre-loaded from AGR. I do have a nasty habit of not reading everything on a page so I could have messed up. When I completed my application this time I got an e-mail confirmation back immediately.

Another glitch is that I always have to log into the AGR site twice to get on. ?

Posts: 1572 | From: St. Paul, MN | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HopefulRailUser
Member # 4513

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for HopefulRailUser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jerry - If you live in California you only have to log on once to the AGR site. I am sure Zephyr would say it has something to do with 5xxxx zip codes.

--------------------
Vicki in usually sunny Southern California

Posts: 951 | From: Redondo Beach, CA | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TwinStarRocket
Member # 2142

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TwinStarRocket     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, we have to work twice as hard as Californians to get to a website, and then swat misquitos and shovel snow too. No wonder we turned out this way.
Posts: 1572 | From: St. Paul, MN | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zephyr
Member # 1651

Icon 1 posted      Profile for zephyr     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dag nab it, Vicki. You beat me to the punch.

Actually, I think Mr. Rocket's difficulties may be due to recent AGR and Chase computer software upgrades that included enhanced spam filters. These new filters are very sophisticated (but apparently not perfect), and I think they are programmed to associate Minnesota with spam. A minor glitch, but I certainly understand how it happened.

And speaking of spam, is there like a special Food Guide Pyramid for Zip Code 5?

Posts: 445 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by TwinStarRocket:
Yes, we have to work twice as hard as Californians to get to a website, and then swat misquitos and shovel snow too. No wonder we turned out this way.

But any true zip-fiver will tell you that it just keeps the riff-raff out, right?

For the record, my new Chase AGR MasterCard arrived today. Activated with just a phone call and no sales pitch. I'll be able to use it for the hotel on my northeastern Amtrak jaunt this weekend. Time to let the points roll in!

--------------------
David Pressley

City of Miami
Member # 2922

Icon 1 posted      Profile for City of Miami     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No bonus points on my account yet though.
Posts: 326 | From: San Antonio Texas USA | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HopefulRailUser
Member # 4513

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for HopefulRailUser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You have "misquitos" there? Are those the special, large ones?

--------------------

Posts: 951 | From: Redondo Beach, CA | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TwinStarRocket
Member # 2142

Member Rated:
Vicki, a 'misquito' is what happens when a zip-fiver tries to spell mosquito. And Zephyr, the zip5 food pyramid would probably include lutefisk, lefse, hotdish and roadkill. When none of these are served on the Empire Builder, the chicken fried steak may be substituted if substantial portions of ketchup and mayo are added.
zephyr
Member # 1651

Icon 1 posted      Profile for zephyr     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When grocery shopping in Zip 5, is it true Hormel Spam and Velveeta Cheese are found in the deli sections of your local groceries?
Posts: 445 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MontanaJim
Member # 2323

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MontanaJim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I got my card yesterday. Came in an envelope with only a street name and town as the return address. almost threw it away because i thought it was junk mail. They should put the company name on their or something.

At any rate, i got a "world" card. not sure if there are other kinds. Cant wait to start using it.

Posts: 416 | From: St. Albans, Vermont | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Montana Jim, credit cards are customarily sent as "low key" as possible; it has been that way since I had my first one, which was likely before you were on the planet.

Otherwise, Today's Wall Street Journal has an article suggesting how the (still) financially challenged airline industry could raise a bit of quick $$$$ by selling (spin off) of their frequent flyer plans. Could there be same for Amtrak if they were to "pull the pin" on Guest Rewards?

I know people who once signed up for an airline plan when they were both working and both had business travel requirements. Now they have retired, immediate family all resides in the same area, and travel is "not exactly on their to do list". Apparently, they have both earned AND redeemed points from and to sources other than air travel.

I realize anyone here earning points for either the Guest Reward or the affinity card plans wants to redeem them for one thing only - rail travel. But it would appear that there are persons out there who wish to redeem the points for other purposes, and as the article suggests, these reward plans are simply a business independent of the airline.

The article suggests that United's plan likely has a market value of some $5.7B; American's, the largest, likely has a market value even higher. While the "market value' of Amtrak's, if even any, likely is measured in the M's, might there be some quick $$$ from "pulling the pin"?

Of course, I make this suggestion with great trepidation; after all, the Warrington Gang started to wonder if there was some quick cash for "hocking" Amtrak's previously unencumbered rolling stock.

Brief passage from the article at Journal's subscription site (or newsstand for $1.50):

The latest head scratcher for airline executives: Is it possible to peel off one of your more profitable components -- your frequent-flier program...........the spin-off idea, one which is building steam across an industry grappling with soaring oil prices and declining stock values. Investors, analysts and consultants alike are coming to believe that frequent-flier programs -- which sell miles to partners, like credit-card companies, who offer them as rewards -- can be better moneymakers than the airlines they support. Splitting off a subsidiary makes it unavailable to subsidize a struggling airline. That, the theory goes, can lead to better decision making at both units.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB119093716757341981.html

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Railroad Bill
Member # 5097

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for Railroad Bill     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just received my new AGR Chase card and activated this morning. This card does have my AGR member number on the bottom of the credit card. I am a bit confused over the conversations here. Is there a new AGR membership card being sent out as well as credit cards to those who signed up for that?
Also, how soon after you activated the Chase card were the points posted to the AGR account? I understand that one needs to make a purchase with this card before other points are awarded? Also I see that the Mastercard is only worth 5000 points now to those just signing up.
Thanks for your help in all this.

Posts: 87 | From: Ohio | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
Railroad Bill,

The Chase MasterCard through AGR is the new card. There is *no* new Amtrak Guest Rewards membership card being sent out. The one you have right now is the current card---there is not a new card coming until the normal time when your card expires.

The 5,000 points is for those who are signing up for the card now (or in recent months). The 8,000 points were for those who pre-registered for the card many months ago. You need to use the card once (make one purchase), and then you will get the 5,000 points. I don't know when those points will show up in your AGR account, but it shouldn't be too long. I'm trying to remember what the "fine print" said---I'm thinking it said something like 6 to 8 weeks before the points appear on your statment.

Since your MasterCard has your AGR number on it, I guess they worked out the bug in the system. The first batch of cards sent out (including mine) do NOT have the AGR number on it.

sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mine doesn't have the AGR # on it either. I'm wondering if they will send out replacements or just wait until it comes up for renewal.

Frank in gorgeous SBA

Posts: 2160 | From: Santa Barbara, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was just looking through the info that came with the card so I could access the balance and make a payment online before I head to the Antipodes. I noticed that the sample card on the brochure DOES have the AGR # on it. I wonder why mine and others don't.

Frank in dark and cooling SBA

Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My cards arrived a couple days ago, less than two weeks after submitting the application on-line. My card has my membership number, but the secondary card with my wife's name on it does not.

I notice the Amtrak logo is quite a bit smaller than the old card.

Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
palmland
Member # 4344

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for palmland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Got my card yesterday. Had membership number on mine but not my wife's. After reading the fine print I plan on using it only for large purchases that I have budgeted (such as train/plane trips) and payoff within a few days. The 17.9% interest rate is far different than the MBNA/BofA card that I believe was 7.9%.
Posts: 2397 | From: Camden, SC | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amtrak207
Member # 1307

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Amtrak207     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A friend of mine (also an AGR member) said his card arrived without the number (as did mine) but he got an e-mail message saying that they were going to reissue the cards sent out without that information. You mean all you folks don't have that ten-digit number memorized! You've got some work to do before being promoted to Uber-foamer status!
Posts: 391 | From: Schenectady | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
City of Miami
Member # 2922

The 8K points have appeared on my AGR account so there's no problem about the number not being on the card.
OCL1
Member # 4621

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for OCL1         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Please be aware the bill payment date may be shorter than you expect. My first statement arrived today (October 18th) and payment is due November 1st. This means it probably has to arrive October 31st to be credited November 1st, and that I need to mail the payment within the next seven days just to be safe.

I'm happy with my AGR (and for the past trips it has provided), but I will be paying this account electronically every month.

Posts: 5 | From: Ocala, Florida | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TwinStarRocket
Member # 2142

Member Rated:
I had trouble with the old BofA Guest Rewards card not sending my bill on time, so it ended up late and I was charged $29. Since then I monitor all my credit cards online. I recommend it to everyone. It is so easy. If you don't recieve the bill in time, you just pay online or by phone.
HopefulRailUser
Member # 4513

Member Rated:
TwinStar and others in the know - Can one set this card up for automatic payment from a bank account and get online statements, no paper stuff? I plan to apply soon but want these features.

Canadian and Starlight report soon, just got home.

--------------------

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page