RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » An Adirondack Upgrade

Author Topic: An Adirondack Upgrade
Amtrak207
Member # 1307

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Amtrak207     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm pretty surprised it hasn't been mentioned on this forum yet, but the Adirondack has been running full dome car 10031 since train 69 of October 16. Since Amtrak sold the other two full domes, this car can only be placed on one trainset at a time, and only north of Albany. I'll have to see how many times I can ride this trip. New York has given us a present.
Posts: 391 | From: Schenectady | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just saw this last night on the Trains NewsWire.

Enjoy it while you can......they say it's only for four weeks.

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Courtesy of another site:

http://railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=206823

A picture, or "pic" in internetese, is worth a thousand words.

Posts: 9977 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
box283
Member # 5546

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for box283     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
now that would have been a real treat...maybe a temporary upgrade during leaf-peeping season?

--------------------
"that's no way to run a railroad!"

~my grandfather, who worked on the NY,NH&H

Posts: 14 | From: PA | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amtrak207
Member # 1307

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Amtrak207     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, it's there for the scenery. Sure, not the most timely addition, but the route north of Fort Edward is scenic whether it's in peak foliage or under a foot of ice. I'll be taking a joyride this weekend. If anyone else wants to attempt it, 69 and 71 have been averaging -:45 northbound, ballooning out to around an hour ten, and 68 has been averaging -1:15 of late.

Even more of a treat was today's train, with three PVs on the back! I like this train!

Posts: 391 | From: Schenectady | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had no idea of this. If only I'd known, I'd have planned a trip!

What's a PV?

Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jerome Nicholson
Member # 3116

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jerome Nicholson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by sojourner:
I had no idea of this. If only I'd known, I'd have planned a trip!

What's a PV?

"Private Varnish" - meaning privately-owned car. That would be an impressive picture, going past Lake Champlain.
Posts: 510 | From: Richmond VA USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amtrak207
Member # 1307

Member Rated:
Quick update: the trip didn't happen until today.

Stunning.

I'm going back next weekend. Absolutely stunning. To top it all off, there was a volunteer tour guide from the National Parks Service onboard. We saw four eagles, ten hawks, six herons, countless hills and mountains, and just raw scenic bliss the whole way.

10031 runs northbound Monday, Thursday, and Saturday, returning south the next day. Wednesday is a layover day in Rensselaer.

There is still time. The car runs until next Sunday (inclusive). While the foliage is not at its peak, this route is beautiful twelve months out of the year. The guide kept saying how if the people up there wanted the car back next year (a little earlier, perhaps) that they should write to their officials. Thursday, October 25 was a media day, where the car was featured on a few local TV stations, in the Albany Times-Useless, and on the front page of the Schenectady Gazette, just below "U. S. Raises Pressure on Iran." Slow news day?

sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I phoned Amtrak and told them I was so sorry I had other trips already books and no time to take the dome car to Montreal, because I'd heard about it too late. I wanted to know if they plant to run the train next year. They still don't know, but I said how great that would be etc etc . . . consumer relations dept can put in a report (agent will transfer you to them if you phone).
So even if you cannot make the trip, folks, you can talk about it for next time. Or you can email from the website. . . .

Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I surely hope they return the dome for a longer period of time next year. Publicize the trip in advance and I'll be making a trip on the Adirondack for certain.

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page