RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Shoreliner Loses Sleeper

Author Topic: Shoreliner Loses Sleeper
Silver Star
Member # 1570

Rate Member
Icon 8 posted      Profile for Silver Star     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Now Amtrak has cut the sleeper from the Twilight Shoreliner, effective sometime later this month. I read this on Trains website and confirmed using the Amtrak reservations site. I have tickets from Boston to Washington this summer and now must alter my plans at a fairly late date. Nobody at Amtrak seems to care whetehr they screw up people's travel plans. When I came home, a reservations agent had lefta message that the sleeper would not be running and that we would be reaccommodated in business class. I think not for an overnight trip! Bit by bit, they are dismantling the eastern overnights as the Silver Palm was first. Better beware of the Three Rivers as it fits this category. This is one unhappy "guest".
Posts: 52 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
reggierail
Member # 26

Rate Member
Icon 11 posted      Profile for reggierail     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Our new Amtrak president made a remark very recently that he was upset with the loss of the sleeper on that train. This may be one of his first official duties when he takes office soon.
That train or its predecessors have run sleeper service, as many as 10 heritage 10-6 sleepers, for 50 or more years. There was a brief cut in service in 1971 I believe.
You might want to hang loose for a while, if possible, I've seen the sleeper service threatened before & it's never been cut.

Reggie

Posts: 462 | From: Bakersfield Ca., 93312 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 8 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If Messrs. Atwell and "Star" will permit me to perfect their respective posts, this will be the first time that Amtrak has operated a Boston-Washington overnight train without a sleeper. There was no overnight train from A-Day to June 10, 1972. On June 11, the Night Owl was inaugurated with a Sleeping Car.

Although I cannot document the exact dates, there was a period of time in which the Three Rivers did not offer Sleeping Car service.

Posts: 9976 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vthokie
Member # 1456

Rate Member
Icon 8 posted      Profile for vthokie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.jefflubchanskycpa.com/AMT2446ALTOONAPA-OCT7-00DIGI75.jpg

If Amtrak has a shortage of sleepers, why are the taking perfectly good sleepers out of service?! (Like the one pictured in that link, recently taken out of service)

Posts: 56 | From: Hawley, PA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vthokie
Member # 1456

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for vthokie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Could Amtrak even order more Viewliners, assuming the funding was provided? Didn't the company that built them go out of business?
Posts: 56 | From: Hawley, PA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page