RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » business class

Author Topic: business class
chefete
Member # 6245

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for chefete     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Could those that have traveled on business class please let me know what the differences are (the pluses) I am traveling 3 1/2 hours to dc at xmas with a child and am wondering if it would be worth the extra money for the space. Any help is greatly appreciated
thanks

Posts: 1 | From: williamsburg, va | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Business Class generally offers complimentary sodas and priority boarding if you're getting on at one of the bigger stations such as DC or Richmond. Many of the larger stations (where the train is sitting for longer than just a couple of minutes) would allow an adult going alone with a child priority boarding anyway.

Looking at the parameters of your post - I'd be inclined to go regular coach TO DC (assuming you are departing from Williamsburg) and consider business class on the return.....that way you would have a point of reference for whether it was worth it next time. You'll also have extra time (the priority boarding) to get on the train, locate seats together, and get situated before the train departs. Departing Williamsburg the train isn't going to be very crowded yet as it just originated a few minutes earlier in Newport News.

I hope that this turns out to be a pleasant trip for you.

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In terms of additional comfort such as a larger seat, none whatever. In terms of amenities, complimentary soda pop; maybe a newspaper. In terms of convenience, if such is of any importance, you WILL be able to "power up" your electronic devices ("may or may not" in Coach). In terms of inconvenience, the Business Class car is placed on the head end i.e. an additional walk.

But Business Class does offer a less crowded 'adult' environment, which is why I always book it when I'm traveling in the Corridor. However, the adult environment may have you thinking twice about using such with a small child. After all, even the best behaved child accompanied by the most conscientious parent, has "lapses".

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
train lady
Member # 3920

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for train lady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One thing the business class has that coach doesn't is a foot rest. Also there are usually fewer seats in business class and the rest rooms seem cleaner.
Posts: 1577 | From: virginia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob from MA
Member # 4686

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bob from MA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My wife and I, both seniors, now regularly opt for Business Class when available. Our experience with this has mainly been on the Lake Shore Ltd. Boston Section (#448/449) and the Pacific Surfliner. The cost seems insignificant when we are paying for sleepers on other segments of our trips.

On the Lake Shore, Business Class is in one half of the Cafe Car. Complimentary beverages and a newspaper are provided, as well as somewhat roomier seat spacing. There is some attention from the cafe attendant. Nearby restrooms in the cafe car get somewhat less use than those in the coaches.The car is usually quieter than the coaches.

Business Class on the Surfliners offers more. The cars are relatively new, one whole car (two levels) is used, there are complimentary juices and coffee that are self serve. In the morning there are packaged pastries, also complimentary. In the afternoon, each passenger is given a packet with crackers, cheese spreads and other snacks. An attendant rides the car.

I know the question concerned the Northeast Corridor, but I thought I'd add these comments for comparisons.

Posts: 127 | From: Worcester, Massachusetts | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rick Morris
Member # 5347

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rick Morris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have ridden Business Class on the Amtrak Cascades. Business Class occupies 2 cars, and offers roomier seats, the opportunity to sit in a single seat, rather than a double space, free newspaper (which you need to pick up in the Cafe car), a $3 off coupon for the Bistro car (which offers great food), and priority boarding. It's much quieter than coach and allows me to truly relax.
Posts: 23 | From: Spokane, WA | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Railroad Bill
Member # 5097

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Railroad Bill     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My wife and I rode Business Class on the Pennsylvanian from Philly to Pittsburgh and it was a most enjoyable experience. Plenty of soda, water etc served. Newspapers to read. Only fifteen seats in our section-back half of the Cafe car and it was the last car on the train. Great shots out the back door of the car via Horseshoe Curve. It was well worth the little extra cost.
Posts: 87 | From: Ohio | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We should note the former AmClub and MetroClub Business Class cars described by Railroad Bill are assigned to the trains where the longest passenger distances are expected. This of course would include the Pennsylvanian.

However, and even though Newport News to Boston is some 600 miles, the average distance traveled on such train is hardly that. Therefore, the Business Class cars on these trains such as #94 are simply Coaches, albeit the most recent to be refurbished. It is a safe assumption that one in the "oh so 70's Chinese house of ill repute Red" motif will not be assigned to Corridor Business Class service.

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Burden
Member # 88

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Burden   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We've used Business Class from Rutland, VT-NYP, NYP-ALB, SPG-NYP and about to make another trip to NYP and back in Business. We find it worth the extra cost mainly because of the lack of traffic and less noise. Being right next to the cafe is nice as well.

Dave

Posts: 73 | From: Unity, NH | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page