RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Coast Starlight info.

Author Topic: Coast Starlight info.
a meyer
Member # 4954

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for a meyer   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I will be taking the Coast Starlight from Seattle to Los Angeles next week. I have taken the SW Chief and Texas Eagle in the last year, but understand the Coast Starlight has a couple extra amenities.
Is the Parlour car quite frequent on the Coast Starlight recently? Also, is the Parlour car and wine tasting pretty much for sleeper car passengers on the train?
Thanks for any info!
Andy

Posts: 120 | From: Arizona | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for smitty195     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The PPC (Pacific Parlour Car) is for sleeping car passengers only. However, you may not have a PPC on your trip. In preparation for the re-launch of this train next year, they are being pulled out of service to get sent back to Beech Grove for refurbishment.

If you do not have a PPC, they will still do the wine tasting in the dining car in-between lunch and dinner. The dining car will rush everything through to get you in and out after the lunch rush, and before the dinner rush.

If you do end up having a PPC, you will really enjoy it. It's a nice amenity to have, especially on that train with the spectacular scenery. Just don't hog your seat like lots of elderly folks seem to do on every trip I take (which is quite often). They plant their rear-ends down in one of the eight swivel seats, and fall asleep for the next several hours as gorgeous scenery goes by the windows. In the meantime, other passengers would love to sit there and enjoy the scenery and conversation. It's a big pet peeve of mine.....

Posts: 2355 | From: Pleasanton, CA | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It is my understanding that a second sightseer lounge is being substituted for any parlour cars that may be out for refurbishing.

--------------------
The Del Monte Club Car

Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for smitty195     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The substitute car (when there is no PPC) will not come for several more months.
Posts: 2355 | From: Pleasanton, CA | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
amtraxmaniac
Member # 2251

Icon 1 posted      Profile for amtraxmaniac     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
DOes the CS still have the kids car area?
Posts: 387 | From: Bakersfield, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
I think there are 3 "kiddie cars" remaining. One of them was converted into a game room, where they had electronic games that were provided by a vendor. The games did not take cash---they took tokens that you got at a machine in the car. There was a sign next to the token machine that said Amtrak is not responsible for lost money, or anything else with the machines, and not to ask Amtrak employees for assistance. Another STUPID and HORRIBLY executed idea by Amtrak. Sometimes I wonder what the heck they are thinking!

The Kiddie Cars that do remain on the Coast Starlight are not really Kiddie Cars any more. The games are gone, the TV's don't work, and crews are now storing luggage in there. The area looks like something that "once was", but is now ANOTHER Amtrak concept that has been forgotten and abandoned.

The new re-launch of this train on May 8, 2008 should clear up all of these problems.....that is, until the new re-launch is forgotten in a few years and these things happen once again.

HopefulRailUser
Member # 4513

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for HopefulRailUser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Smitty, I am due to take the Starlight on May 8th, all the way to Seattle. This could be interesting.

--------------------
Vicki in usually sunny Southern California

Posts: 951 | From: Redondo Beach, CA | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
I might meet you on the train, Vicki! I'm keeping a close eyeball on the re-launch of this train. My goal is to ride in a newly refurbished PPC as soon as it's back in service, as well as to ride on the first day of the re-launch. If Amtrak can stick to that May 8th date, I'll be there! (I'm REALLY curious to see what a $7,000 coffee maker looks like. That's what they spent to put one in each refurbished PPC! Maybe it's made out of spare Space Shuttle parts) [Smile]
JoeR
Member # 2633

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for JoeR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just rode the Starlight on November 9th. The PPC was on the train and functioning, with an attendant most of the time (only coffee, tea and juice were offered though) They had Danishes on offer in the morning, and wine and cheese in the afternoon. I also observed the Starlight of November 8th that also had a parlor car. In speaking with a couple on the train who rode down on the Starlight, they also had a PPC. So it seems like you have a very good chance of getting one even now, albeit without all the amenities..
Posts: 38 | From: Highland, NY, USA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
a meyer
Member # 4954

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for a meyer   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just got back from taking the #11, Nov. 10 from Seattle to LA. Parlour Car was available with juices, coffe, danish, and muffins each morning. The wine and cheese tasting was offered both afternoons.
I spoke with several passengers who have taken the Coast Starlight a couple times in the last few months and this was the first time they had a parlour car.

Posts: 120 | From: Arizona | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
You got lucky and had a PPC! It always makes the trip much more enjoyable.
Railroad Bill
Member # 5097

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Railroad Bill     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just wondering!. With all the hype about the refurbished PPCs, will there be any room in these cars when the train is full of sleeper passengers? How many seats are there in this car and can it accomodate a large influx of passengers?? Looking forward to riding the Coast Starlight in both January and next May?
Posts: 87 | From: Ohio | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page