RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Parade Article

Author Topic: Parade Article
train lady
Member # 3920

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted      Profile for train lady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In the Parade Magazine ,tomorrow's edition, the lead article is Can We Save our Trains? (we get some sections of the Sunday Washington Post on Sat.)For those of you who don't get this magazine in your paper go to Parade.com There you will find the article plus a poll. 98% of the respondants voted for more fund for trains.
Posts: 1577 | From: virginia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amtrak207
Member # 1307

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Amtrak207     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the reminder to pick up a copy of the Times-Useless.
Posts: 391 | From: Schenectady | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
FYI: Times Useless, in Amtrak207's post, refers to a paper some people call the Albany Times Union, which carries Parade.

That is the upper Hudson Valley. Lower down in the valley is the Poughkeepsie Urinal (some call that one the Poughkeepsie Journal).

Train Lady: Thanks for letting me know about the Parade article!

Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
train lady
Member # 3920

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for train lady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
News paper names in parady can be fun. When I was in college in Williamsburg we always referred to the Richmond Times Dispatch as the Richmond Times Disgrace. At any rate I found the Parade article interesting though I wish they had mentioned the freight train problem
Posts: 1577 | From: virginia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dixie Flyer
Member # 4640

Rate Member
Icon 6 posted      Profile for Dixie Flyer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This article on trains is at:

A Better Way to Travel

--------------------
Richard T.

Posts: 30 | From: Northwest Georgia | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for pointing that one out. Its nice to see our point of view represented in the media for a change. Our paper dropped Parade several months ago in favor of the USA Today knockoff, which is quite inferior.
Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Henry Kisor
Member # 4776

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Henry Kisor   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Chicago Sun-Times often was called the "Fun-Times" for its emphasis on sports and celebrity. Its competitor is often called the "Tribulation."
Posts: 2236 | From: Evanston, Ill. and Ontonagon, Mich. | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Reader's Comments prove interesting; when I reviewed such, 36 were posted. One such was neutral, one was distinctly negative, but THIRTY FOUR were POSITIVE.
Posts: 9977 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tarheelman
Member # 6095

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for tarheelman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It was a good article---thanks to the original poster for the heads up on it. [Smile]

This 'Parade' article is the third story I've read this year that covered passenger rail in a mostly positive light. (The other two were both in 'The Wall Street Journal' on August 23.) It's good to see passenger rail getting favorable press now.

Posts: 100 | From: Kernersville, NC | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amtrak207
Member # 1307

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Amtrak207     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Now all we need is an appropriation that follows what people want.
Posts: 391 | From: Schenectady | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page