RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Amtrak speed on Florida East Coast

Author Topic: Amtrak speed on Florida East Coast
vthokie
Member # 1456

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for vthokie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just curious, will Amtrak be able to exceed 79 mph when it starts running on the Florida East Coast Railroad? IIRC, FEC uses cab signals on the line. I don't know what track conditions are like, but I seem to remember seeing welded rail and even concrete ties.
Posts: 56 | From: Hawley, PA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 13 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I will certainly acknowledge that the FEC is a "good track" road (I seem to lay eyes on the track every year, but not so lucky with trains); however I believe I have seen it reported elsewhere that any passenger trains operating on the line would be held to 70mph so that "interference" with their freight operations would be minimized. Since Jax-West Palm mileage via FEC is some 75 miles less than via the existing routing, a significant schedule improvement would still result.

However, unless the proposed service over the FEC will not result in any reduction of service over the existing ACL-Auburndale-SAL routing, I do not think much of the idea.

First, the FEC has not operated a scheduled passenger train since 1969 (the through trains were rerouted early 1962 resulting from a strike). At that time, Mickey was only indigenous to Southern California, and since the Orlando area tourist attractions (all of which arose resulting from the rodent's cloning and migration to the East), are the "#1 draw" for visitors using any mode of transportation, it would be folly to have any existing Amtrak service bypassing them.

Let's address what, if anything, would be gained by service diverted to an FEC routing.

Vero Beach? I've been there many times (father once resided there) and it has always been "Zero Beach" to me. In fact, I somehow think that the return coupon of all too many round trip tickets would be submitted for refund by the Executor of a passenger's Estate.

Cape Canaveral's Kennedy Space Center is presently served by "Ambus" from Orlando, which can't be all that inconvenient.

I must acknowledge that Amtrak has a cross marketing arrangement with NASCAR, even though such strikes me as a "strange bedfellows" situation. Daytona is the best known "running" on the "circuit" (or at least has the most predominant TV coverage).

Northeastern Florida does have some attractive resorts such as St Augustine, Ormond Beach, and Palm Coast; but their "season" is FROM Easter TO Thanksgiving (with time out in August and September for hurricanes) instead of the prevailing opposite for West Palm and South. During the summer if there are spare A-II's and Viewliners available, they are needed to augument the Lake Shore's consist.

In short, the most positive thing that could arise from an FEC routing would be service to the well known Martin County area such as Hobe Sound and the "emerging areas" such as Jupiter and Jensen Beach (whoops, St Lucie for Jensen).

I know that there will be differing opinions to this post; in fact I have even sent a "heads up" to a member whom I know has differing thoughts. So tune in for the rebuttals.

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
reggierail
Member # 26

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for reggierail     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I concur Gilbert. We need to add service to more places, not substitute service. Simply stated, more service & more frequencies of service.
Each added frequency makes the use of the service more convenient. When the passenger realizes he can go to the station & be able to travel to his destination every hour or two, he's much more likely to use the service. Right now, he may have a wait of 24 or even 72 hours before the next train to his destination.
Reggie

------------------

Posts: 462 | From: Bakersfield Ca., 93312 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rresor
Member # 128

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for rresor     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A couple of responses to the posts about FEC service:

1) FEC has installed a Harris cab signal enforcement system (Harris, now owned by GE, is on-line, in Melbourne, FL.) Don't know the details of it, but as Mr. Norman points out, FEC wouldn't want to create too many dispatching problems for itself.

2) FEC is indeed welded rail, concrete ties, and CTC (with enforcement) in its entirety).

3)Amtrak's original proposal would have had two trains split at Jax, meaning no reduction in service through Orlando (these sections of each train would presumably go to Tampa). That would mean more train miles, and in the light of present circumstances, it's hard to say whether that will happen. Nevertheless, the State of Florida has committed $85 million to various improvements including the rebuilding of the "Northwood Connection" in West Palm Beach. That work is supposed to start next month.

Posts: 614 | From: Merchantville, NJ. USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page