RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » No diner for Three Rivers?

Author Topic: No diner for Three Rivers?
vthokie
Member # 1456

Rate Member
Icon 13 posted      Profile for vthokie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is there any chance of the Broadway Limited returning, or adding diners to the Three Rivers? It seems like New York to Chicago would be a big enough route to warrant it. Also, you'd think Pennsylvania would want better service on the Philly - Pittsburgh corridor. What happened to the Broadway Limited anyway, just not enough passengers to justify it?
Posts: 56 | From: Hawley, PA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 4 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
At this time, Mr. Hokie, it is simply a lack of the "secret ingreedient" that keeps the Three Rivers from offering the same level of on board amenities as found on the Lake Shore.

And for those tuning in late, "secret ingreedient" was that of a brand of coffee once marketed (for all this "coffee is coffee" Member knows, still is) in the New York area known as "Chock Full of Nuts". Suffice to say the "secret ingreedient" was $$$$$$$$.

All I can do is climb on my soapbox and hope that President-Designate Gunn is listening. Beg borrow or steal the $$$$ to get as many of those wrecked Superliners back on the rails ASAP (although I respect that some likely are, they can't all be "totaled").

Also, since I have seen it reported elsewhere that the Superliner coach supply is not quite as critical as Sleepers, how about considering feasability of converting some to sleepeers in the 10 Dlx, 4 Std, 1 Fam, 1 Spl configuration. I believe the cars are modular in design and as such would not need structural changes for such a conversion.

Lastly, 50 more Viewliners; 25 configured 10 Dlx, 25 as 1 Spl, 4 Dlx, Bar Lounge (First Class only). There will be your "Broadway Ltd".

I acknowledge this is written by one whom "doesen't know what an overnight coach is", but just my "2 Abes" rubbing together in my pocket (sorry, no "wheats").

[This message has been edited by Gilbert B Norman (edited 05-05-2002).]

Posts: 9976 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
reggierail
Member # 26

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for reggierail     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
New York to Chicago has a full service train now, the Lake Shore Limited. Hopefully the Broadway Ltd. can be resurected, if as Gilbert says, the money is there. If congress decides to fund Amtrak properly, hopefully some of that funding goes to repairing & aquiring new cars, especially sleepers.
Unfortunately, even after ordering cars, it will be quite some time before they could be delivered. I've heard this could be as long as 2-3 years.
Reggie

------------------

Posts: 462 | From: Bakersfield Ca., 93312 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lakeshorelimited
Member # 576

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for lakeshorelimited     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You also have to remember that the single-level diner fleet is getting quite old. Amtrak does not have a newer generation of single-level diners, and probably very few spares, if any. If Amtrak continues to run overnight service with dining cars, they will eventually will have to invest in new single level dining cars, and the Three Rivers could see a dining car at that point, when the still usable Heritage diners are replced by the next generation on other trains.
Posts: 140 | From: Albany, NY | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vthokie
Member # 1456

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for vthokie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What kind of shape is the remaining Heritage fleet in? As long as the cars remain structurally sound, can't Amtrak just replace the wear items, such as wheels, trucks, plumbing, etc. and keep the cars going indefinitely? What prompted the retirement of so many Heritage diners and sleepers, when Amtrak has an equipment shortage?

Also, just out of curiosity, are the two Viewliner prototypes (including 1 diner) still in service?

Posts: 56 | From: Hawley, PA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
reggierail
Member # 26

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for reggierail     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As far as I know most if not all of the Heritage diners just went through a major overhaul within the last few years.
As I remember there was just one Viewliner diner that saw any revenue service. I don't believe it was very popular with the crews as it was hard to work. I was on the Cardinal just before it went to Superliners & the Viewliner diner was in the consist. I was quite impressed as it was very open what with the second row of windows and all.
Reggie

Posts: 462 | From: Bakersfield Ca., 93312 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page