RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Advice, please - LAX/San Diego/Disney

Author Topic: Advice, please - LAX/San Diego/Disney
mr williams
Member # 1928

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mr williams     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A work colleague of mine is going to a friend's wedding in San Diego next June with her husband & young son. She has visited the States many times but not this part of the country.

Knowing how I've travelled around America she's asked if I can give some advice as to what can be done by public transport around LA as they don't particularly want to rent a car.

Well, I can advise on Amtrak but I'm sure some of you will be able to provide more details than me. I know that there's a regular (by Brit standards!) train service between LA and San Diego, which goes somewhere near Disney (is it Disneyland or Disneyworld in California?), but specifically:

1. How/where do you connect with the Surfliner to/from San Diego from LAX airport?

2. Which is the best/nearest stop for Disney, and is it feasible to do on foot/by public transport or without a car?

3. How do you get from San Diego to Mexico (just for a day in probably Tijuana)?

4. They will probably spend a couple of days in LA - which districts are sfae/family friendly/convenient for visiting Hollywood etc and what should they avoid

many thanks in advance

1. Rather than change at LAX

Posts: 395 | From: england | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for smitty195     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can't help you with all of your questions, but I can sure help with some of them:

To get from Los Angeles Airport (LAX) to Union Station (also called LAX in Amtrak code), the easiest, quickest, and cheapest method is the new Fly Away bus service. I've heard good things about this new bus service. Here is a link to their website with schedules:

http://www.lawa.org/lax/LAXflyAway.cfm

The bus runs between LAX and Union Station every 30 minutes on the half-hour, and the cost is only $4 each way. The bus runs every hour on the hour between 1AM and 5AM. Check their web page for the pickup/drop-off points at each location.

To get to Tijuana from San Diego, you will want to take the San Diego Trolley. The Trolley is San Diego's light rail system. Even though all of their cars are painted red, the different lines have different "color" names. For example, the Trolley that runs to the International border (Tijuana) is the Blue Line---but the Trolley is not blue, it is red. But the sign on the Trolley will say "Blue Line Tijuana". I was in San Diego about two weeks ago, and I used the Trolley system a lot. Unfortunately, I found that their website was a bit confusing to understand. Maybe it was just me? But the good news is, once you get to a Trolley station, it's very easy to figure out. And make sure you have a valid ticket while on-board, as I saw police and fare inspectors on EVERY TRAIN checking for tickets!! The Blue Line to Tijuana runs to Old Town, and then turns around and goes back down south again to the International border. If you are in downtown San Diego (as I was), there is a station near PETCO Park (baseball stadium for the San Diego Padres) called "12th and Imperial". On the Trolley website, they make this look very confusing. But just know that there is only one station at 12th and Imperial, and it is a transfer point to other "color" lines. For example, you can get on/off the Blue Line here, and get on an Orange Line Trolley.

For sightseeing in the Hollywood area, here is my recommendation (I have done this many times). I'm not sure where your friends are coming from, but the Los Angeles area has a subway system that runs directly from Union Station (it's downstairs). If you get on a train that says, "Red Line North Hollywood", that will take you directly to the Universal City station (the next stop after this is North Hollywood, the end of the line). There are two hotels at Universal City---the Universal Hilton, and the Sheraton. My preference is the Universal Hilton, and I give it two thumbs up! When your friends get off the Red Line train at Universal City, you take the escalator (or elevator) upstairs so that you are back at street level again. Look for the tall black building that says, "NBC UNIVERSAL". You cross the street and walk towards this building's front door. Just outside the door of this building is the FREE shuttle stop for Universal Studios. You can get on this open-air Disneyland style of shuttle tram, and it will take you up the big hill to the entrance of Universal Studios. This tram also stops at Universal City Walk. From either of these locations, a "normal" type of shuttle bus runs every 10 to 15 minutes and will take you to the Hilton or the Sheraton---for free. However, for those who can walk easily, it's a very easy walk from Universal Studios to the Hilton---takes about 5 minutes. The Sheraton is a bit longer, and I would probably take the shuttle to that location.

As far as getting to/from Disneyland (not Disney World--that's in Florida) from Amtrak, someone else will have to help with that one. I'm guessing that the Anaheim station (or maybe Fullerton?) would be your best bet from a Surfliner train. But as far as I know, there is no "Disneyland Shuttle" that runs between the two locations. It would either be taxi or city bus---but someone will know for sure and post it here.

Posts: 2355 | From: Pleasanton, CA | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CoastStarlight99
Member # 2734

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for CoastStarlight99   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There is actually now a Disneyland shuttle!

Andy is right that nobody has ever offered this service in the past which is pretty sad...

In the latest NARP newsletter however, it says that Disneyland now provides a shuttle.

Whats funny is that the Amtrak timetable still does not reflect the change and only refers to local Taxi service.

Here is a screenshot of the NARP newsletter:
 -

Have a great trip!

Posts: 1082 | From: Los Angeles, CA. USA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by CoastStarlight99:
There is actually now a Disneyland shuttle!

Andy is right that nobody has ever offered this service in the past which is pretty sad...

In the latest NARP newsletter however, it says that Disneyland now provides a shuttle.

Whats funny is that the Amtrak timetable still does not reflect the change and only refers to local Taxi service.

Here is a screenshot of the NARP newsletter:
 -

Have a great trip!

Good work Anton! I saw the NARP newsletter just yesterday and was going to mention the new Disneyland Shuttle.

Extra points to you for being on the spot with just the right information!

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for smitty195     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Anton--cool...thanks for that info! I'm glad one of the biggest family vacation destinations in the world finally has a shuttle to/from the train!!
Posts: 2355 | From: Pleasanton, CA | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page