RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » GrandLuxe Limited article in USA TODAY

Author Topic: GrandLuxe Limited article in USA TODAY
mpaulshore
Member # 3785

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mpaulshore     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The current issue of USA TODAY, for November 23-24-25, 2007, has an article on pages 1D and 2D entitled "A movable feast: Luxury rides the rails", by one Kitty Bean Yancey, reporting on a recent Emeryville-to-Chicago trip aboard the GrandLuxe Limited cars. There's also a teaser on page 1A that reads "Life: Golden Age of train travel returns/GrandLuxe Limited hooks to Amtrak's Emeryville, Calif.-Chicago route for a luxurious trip through historic and ahh-inducing scenery". The article is currently available on line at http://www.usatoday.com/travel/news/2007-11-22-grandluxe-train_N.htm.

Ms. Yancey's overall take on the topic is almost absurdly positive and optimistic, given that on her trip the cars were less than half full and given the GrandLuxe Limited's well-known travails (which the article acknowledges). I wonder whether she would have been so positive had she been reporting on an ordinary Amtrak trip that was in some way analogous. She does in fact seem somewhat predisposed to trash Amtrak, as evidenced by her comment that "[w]hile Amtrak passengers at the front of the train chew on burgers or heated-up lasagna [sic] during the 54-hour, 2,438-mile trip, GrandLuxe passengers dine on more sophisticated fare prepared by an onboard chef". Note the clear implication that burgers and "lasagna" are as sophisticated as Amtrak food gets.

Let's hope that some USA TODAY readers are thoughtful enough to see past this article's surface positivity and understand that 23 passengers on an ultra-expensive joyride hardly make for a "return" of the "Golden Age of train travel".

Posts: 86 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Westbound journeys were reportedly sold, most likely account better scenic viewing through the Rockies. Apparently (and wisely) the Eastward journeys is where GL accommodated the "Fams' and other varieties of "comps'.

But I certainly agree, Mr. Paulshore, that after considering all the ambitious plans to operate service on other routes came up "stillborn', it would appear that, despite the ravenous reporting in USAToday, the whole venture was a flop.

For ready reference, here are some related topic threads:

http://www.railforum.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi/topic/11/4931.html

http://www.railforum.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi/topic/11/4898.html

http://www.railforum.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi/topic/11/4945.html

http://www.railforum.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi/topic/11/4920.html

Posts: 9976 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jerome Nicholson
Member # 3116

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jerome Nicholson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anyone else having this problem?
I STILL haven't been given my refund after all the Florida trips were cancelled. I haven't cancelled the vacation; Amtrak and Southwest Airlines are picking up the slack; but I'd like to have my money back to use on the vacation! I and my travel agent have been given the runaround and we believe trere are cash flow problems with GL. I wouldn't be surprised to see them declare bankruptcy. Too bad I used a debit card instead of a credit card to pay them; I may be totally screwed!

Posts: 510 | From: Richmond VA USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PullmanCo
Member # 1138

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PullmanCo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mr Nicholson:

I have no insider information, but if a business cannot cheerfully refund your money on one business cycle, there could be problems.

You'd be well served to get your claim on the table. Don't wait to be an unsecured creditor. Start building your claim now! If needed, ask your lawyer or accountant for advice.

Posts: 1404 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
royaltrain
Member # 622

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for royaltrain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I received my refund of $500 as a deposit for the December GL from Los Angeles. It came within about two or three weeks after I requested it. I used an Amex card, and they just credited my account.
Posts: 524 | From: Toronto Ont. Canada | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page