RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Sea to Shining Sea (almost)

Author Topic: Sea to Shining Sea (almost)
aircrest7
Member # 5548

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for aircrest7     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Time is almost here leaving Sat fm Sea on the Empire Builder to Chi, Capital to DC, Capital to Chi, SWC to LA and CS home. I have taken some notes (why is ABQ Ice Cream on top of the list) and will report back mid month.

Lar

Posts: 30 | From: Seattle | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Apparently Coldstone Creamery Ice Cream is exceptional and reportedly there is a retail outlet within walking distance of the station.

http://www.coldstonecreamery.com/

Posts: 9976 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Henry Kisor
Member # 4776

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Henry Kisor   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mr. Norman, I continue to be astounded by your knowledge of things within walking distance of the railroad as well as the railroad itself. Now you have me lusting for a quart of Coldstone.
Posts: 2236 | From: Evanston, Ill. and Ontonagon, Mich. | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MdmMim
Member # 2355

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MdmMim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Coldstone Creamery is very easy to find, maybe too easy. ;-) There is a large clock over the store--you can't miss it.

Enjoy your trip. I am envious!

Posts: 10 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TwinStarRocket
Member # 2142

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TwinStarRocket     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The SWC stops so long in ABQ, and the station is so ugly, that you don't even need to be an ice cream fan to take the walk to Coldstone. For us northerners, it is also a treat to experience the warm midday sun.
Posts: 1572 | From: St. Paul, MN | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TwinStarRocket:
The SWC stops so long in ABQ, and the station is so ugly, that you don't even need to be an ice cream fan to take the walk to Coldstone. For us northerners, it is also a treat to experience the warm midday sun.

Now if someone would set up a 24-hour burrito joint next to the MSP station, we southerners could have the same experience but in reverse!

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for smitty195     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The guy who sells the HUGE burritos still sells them, but they're a bit harder to find (at ABQ). He used to have a table set up on the platform and it was easy to spot the burritos for sale. But now, he's gotten all fancy on us. [Smile] He now has a portable white trailer, but he is still located on the platform. It looks like all they're selling is jewelry, but if you step up to the open door of the trailer, you'll see a sign with a price list of what's for sale. Awesome burritos!
Posts: 2355 | From: Pleasanton, CA | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aircrest7
Member # 5548

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for aircrest7     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I actually picked up my tickets on a visit to MSP. My son lives there. It was easier than going to Seattle to get them which is 2-1/2 hours from where I live. He is a pilot for NWA.

Now I have to decide between Burritos and Ice Cream. Decisions Decisions.

Posts: 30 | From: Seattle | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TwinStarRocket
Member # 2142

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TwinStarRocket     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Originally posted by NotElvis:
"Now if someone would set up a 24-hour burrito joint next to the MSP station, we southerners could have the same experience but in reverse!"

For the eastbound folks on the Builder, Bonnie's Cafe (2 blocks south of Amtrak) opens at 5:30am and sells way better food than Amtrak for way cheaper. For the price of a cup of coffee they bring you the whole pot. An invigorating January morning walk when the wind chill is 40 below.

For the westbound folks, Subway is open til midnight, -across University Ave from Bonnie's. Next to Bonnie's is a watering hole called the Dubliner Pub, for courage in facing the winter chill. ATM inside.

And if you need an early morning 2x4, Menard's Lumber and Building Supply is just across the tracks from the depot and provides live piano music for the holidays. Open at 6am, but closes at 9pm.

Who says us zip fivers aren't cosmopolitan.

Posts: 1572 | From: St. Paul, MN | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob from MA
Member # 4686

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bob from MA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know how you folks can eat burritos or even ice cream at stops like Albuquerque unless you travel coach. I'm always too filled up with the three meals per day and a minimum of exercise!
Posts: 127 | From: Worcester, Massachusetts | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can see my next home improvement project already -

"And this stud is made from the 2x4 I picked up at Menards in Minneapolis-St. Paul on our way home from Glacier......!"

I'll be the talk of the neighborhood, that's for certain.

--------------------
David Pressley

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
railrev
Member # 2640

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for railrev     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Now I have to decide between Burritos and Ice Cream."

Why? Plenty of time to get both and you can take what you don't eat on board with you.

Enjoy.

--------------------
Railrev
Escondido, CA

Posts: 99 | From: Escondido, California | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you have a sleeper, you may have already had so much food (inc cheesecake) you may not have room for both!

Have a wonderful trip.

Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aircrest7
Member # 5548

Rate Member
Sleepers in the front on the EB, Capital Ltd both ways, SWC and Coast Starlight
Judy McFarland
Member # 4435

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Judy McFarland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually on the EB there is also a sleeper on the back for those Portland-bound folks. Be sure you're in the right car before the train splits in Spokane!

--------------------
My new "default" station (EKH) has no baggage service or QuikTrak machine, but the parking is free! And the NY Central RR Museum is just across the tracks (but not open at Amtrak train times. . ..)

Posts: 337 | From: Goshen, IN | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aircrest7
Member # 5548

Rate Member
You are correct and the reason for that is us people from Washington do not play well with those from the south of us.
Judy McFarland
Member # 4435

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Judy McFarland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I heard that when I-5 was built, the people in Oregon didn't want any off ramps to keep out the riffraff from the north and south. (I heard that when I lived in Eugene, OR 1968-1970)

--------------------
My new "default" station (EKH) has no baggage service or QuikTrak machine, but the parking is free! And the NY Central RR Museum is just across the tracks (but not open at Amtrak train times. . ..)

Posts: 337 | From: Goshen, IN | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by Judy McFarland:
I heard that when I-5 was built, the people in Oregon didn't want any off ramps to keep out the riffraff from the north and south. (I heard that when I lived in Eugene, OR 1968-1970)

I had a friend from Racine tell me once that's what mosquitos were for!

--------------------
David Pressley

Mike Smith
Member # 447

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Smith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by aircrest7:
Now I have to decide between Burritos and Ice Cream. Decisions Decisions.

No decision necessary.

When you get off the train, get your burrito and eat it on the way to Coldstone ice cream. You get your burrito and desert!

Posts: 1418 | From: Houston, Republic of Texas | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aircrest7
Member # 5548

Rate Member
It was raining so hard I could not leave the platform. We had plenty of time, but the rain did not let up
train lady
Member # 3920

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for train lady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Aircrest, did you post a report which I missed? How was/is your trip, not sure if you have returned home yet.
Posts: 1577 | From: virginia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aircrest7
Member # 5548

Rate Member
Home......Report soon

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page