RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » CN derailments

Author Topic: CN derailments
royaltrain
Member # 622

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for royaltrain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In two weeks I am due out of Toronto on The Canadian to Vancouver, and CN has just had its fourth!! derailment in Northern Ontario blocking the line used by Via. Within the past week, CN has managed to foul its main line due to their own mishaps and now CN has announced that its line has been blocked by three snowslides between
Kamloops and Vancouver. At Union station in Toronto, The Canadian has been posted as "Cancelled." No information as to the fate of the passengers who are presumably stranded at various points across Canada.

I am supposted to connect in Vancouver with the Cascade train to Seattle and from there to Los Angeles on #11. I just saw on another site, that due to mudslides, there are no trains between Seattle and Portland, and that #14 was being terminated at Eugene. Perhaps I should attempt taking the Lake Shore out of Buffalo and the SW Chief to L.A. Oh the joys of winter railroading.

Posts: 524 | From: Toronto Ont. Canada | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
train lady
Member # 3920

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for train lady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you do that may I suggest that you check the weather in Buffalo because according to our weathercaster they are having lake effect snows there not an unusual occurance!!! How about Toronto to NYC or Philly or DC.From there to Chicago and L A/ Would that work?
Posts: 1577 | From: virginia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
royaltrain
Member # 622

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for royaltrain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
According to Amtrak, the only connection available on the dates that I must leave Buffalo (19,20 or 21 Dec) would be Lake Shore out of Buffalo, Empire Builder to Portland and the Starlight to Los Angeles. This would cost me an extra $1000 even when I factor in cancelling The Canadian. I just hope the train gods will be smiling upon me come the 18th of Dec (my Toronto departure). As for going eastbound to N.Y or Phily as suggested by Trainlady, that is really out of the way and besides those lake effect snows may still cause problems for N.Y. bound trains.
Posts: 524 | From: Toronto Ont. Canada | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
train lady
Member # 3920

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for train lady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
According to my time table the lake Shore doesn't go to Buffalo. Am I missing something?
Posts: 1577 | From: virginia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Henry Kisor
Member # 4776

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Henry Kisor   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Late Shore Limited stops at Depew a few miles east of Buffalo. When people say they're taking the train to Buffalo they really mean Depew.

It's usually there that train toilets become backed up and overflow, and that's how Depew got its name.

I had this on good authority from a guy I met in the lounge car. He had had a few martinis.

Posts: 2236 | From: Evanston, Ill. and Ontonagon, Mich. | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
royaltrain
Member # 622

Member Rated:
There are two stations for Buffalo. The timetable for the Lake Shore indicates Buffalo-Depew. All the other trains for Buffalo use both Depew and Exchange St. Stations.
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Submitted to perfect Mr. Kisor's posting...no further comment.

http://www.villageofdepew.org/index_files/history.htm

Posts: 9980 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
train lady
Member # 3920

Member Rated:
Henry, thanks for pointig that out to me. I reread the time table and discoveed the first time around my eye simply skipped tht town. Very interesting Gi. Once again you prove to be a storehouse of information.
train lady
Member # 3920

Member Rated:
Well apparently my fingers joined my eyes in skipping as in lfor Gil,n in pointing,- an r in discovered and a in that. That is what happens when one does not proof a reply.
David
Member # 3

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for David     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
CN has had another derailment, but this time it was in Alberta - just east of Edmonton. It has been reported on another site that the Canadian departed Toronto today (Tuesday) as a shuttle train. There was one stainless steel coach, three LRC cars, a Skyline and a Park car - but no sleepers. It is assumed the "real Canadian" will be met in northern Ontario as has occurred several times at Capreol.
Posts: 216 | From: Mississauga, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page