RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Link: Group pushes for KC-to-Dallas Amtrak service

Author Topic: Link: Group pushes for KC-to-Dallas Amtrak service
amtraksupporter
Member # 5619

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for amtraksupporter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From Kansas City Star:

"Group pushes for KC-to-Dallas Amtrak service"

By STEVE EVERLY

http://www.kansascity.com/115/story/395930.html

Posts: 82 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DesertSpirit
Member # 3848

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for DesertSpirit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not to rain on their parade, but their are tons of groups out there pushing for amtrak service in one way or another. Some of us have been waiting in Raleigh for a train to Asheville for over 30 years.
Posts: 30 | From: Colorado | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by DesertSpirit:
Not to rain on their parade, but their are tons of groups out there pushing for amtrak service in one way or another. Some of us have been waiting in Raleigh for a train to Asheville for over 30 years.

And the NCDOT has been teasing us saying that such a train is 'coming soon' since 1994.

I sure wish they would do it because I'd like to buy a ticket and ride the first run.

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DesertSpirit
Member # 3848

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for DesertSpirit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, my time in the RTP is up next summer so it looks like I will have to make a special trip back here to take that ride it if it ever comes to be.
Posts: 30 | From: Colorado | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by DesertSpirit:
Well, my time in the RTP is up next summer so it looks like I will have to make a special trip back here to take that ride it if it ever comes to be.

Just looked st your blog for a few minutes. I think I lived in the same aprtment complex you do......except it was in Fayetteville and not Durham!

I'm glad that I escaped that part of the state when I did back in 1998 BUT, at the time, I was convinced that Amtrak would be coming to Asheville within a couple of years. It will be a decade in July and we're still not there.

--------------------
David Pressley

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tarheelman
Member # 6095

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for tarheelman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My guess (and it's only a guess) is that two issues are preventing this from happening:

1. Funding

2. Potential protests by Norfolk Southern

Maybe some of the proposed federal matching funds could be used to add a second track between Salisbury and Asheville. That should alleviate any objections by NS.

Posts: 100 | From: Kernersville, NC | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
palmland
Member # 4344

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for palmland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
David
I wonder why the state doesn't support a Thruway bus from Greensboro to Asheville. This would be a low cost alternative to a train and certainly better than nothing. They could then make use of the stations on the Asheville line that they have restored.

Would especially make sense if they start the third Raleigh-Charlotte train when the current track work is completed.

Posts: 2397 | From: Camden, SC | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
train lady
Member # 3920

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for train lady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
we have cousins in Ashville who want us to come down. He said he would pick us up at the Amtrak station in either Greensboro or Spartansburg. This we may do in the spring. Which city is the best choice?
Posts: 1577 | From: virginia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Train Lady -

Spartanburg is the nearer station to Asheville but it's merely an unstaffed 12 x 12 room in the otherwise nicely restored station. Greensboro has agents and security on-duty 24/7, is a nicer and safer facility, and could be a daytrip for you via the 'Carolinian' rather than a wee hours arrival in Spartanburg. IF I were picking you up, I'd prefer to meet you off train 79 in Greensboro.

As an option since someone is picking you up, you might want to consider High Point. The station there is a little closer (10-15 minutes) to Asheville and may be preferable for someone who would rather not go into downtown Greensboro. There is no ticket agent there but it is attended by an NCDOT employee......and it's just a very cute, nicely restored depot.

Palmland -

There was talk of a state-supported Thruway bus at one time around Y2K but the climate towards transit projects chilled (and purse strings tightened) following the election that year. A conecting bus to Asheville would make alot of sense given that Greyhound doesn't have much interest in serving Western North Carolina.

Tarheelman -

You are absolutely correct on both counts. The excitement over funding an Asheville train has dimmed a bit in Raleigh since that first enthusiastic report back in 1994. Norfolk Southern has also tossed several wrenches into the mix demanding signal and sidetrack improvements and claiming freight train interference. The irony is that since the Norfolk Southern merger much of the through freight moves on the old N&W line through Roanoke and Bristol rather than the old SR line through Asheville. Even with the closing of Saluda Mountain and the rerouting of those trains, the NS Asheville-Salisbury line now has fewer trains and is in better condition than when Southern was operating passenger trains on the line in the early 1970's. This whole passenger train thing represents an opportunity for NS to get some infrastructure improvements made at someone else's expense.

--------------------
David Pressley

tarheelman
Member # 6095

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for tarheelman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by train lady:
we have cousins in Ashville who want us to come down. He said he would pick us up at the Amtrak station in either Greensboro or Spartansburg. This we may do in the spring. Which city is the best choice?

Train lady, Asheville is about a 3 1/2 hour drive from Greensboro, whereas Spartanburg is probably no more than three hours from Asheville. However, in addition to the driving time, which station would be the most convenient probably depends on where in VA you would be boarding the train. If you're boarding it at a station that's served by the 'Carolinian', you'll probably want to take this train to Greensboro and meet your cousins there. I say this because the 'Carolinian' is scheduled to arrive in Greensboro at 6:27 P.M., while the scheduled arrival time of the 'Crescent' in Spartanburg is probably before sunrise (although I'm not 100% sure that it is).

Hope this helps.

***EDIT***

After checking amtrak.com, I see that the scheduled arrival time in Spartanburg for the 'Crescent' is 4:14 A.M.

Posts: 100 | From: Kernersville, NC | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
palmland
Member # 4344

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for palmland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Train lady- Greensboro will be about a 100 miles longer, or an hour and half more than Spartanburg by car. But then you will be able to take the Carolinian and arrive/depart at a decent hour as well as see the magnificently restored Greensboro station.

Another option would be to take the Carolinian to Greensboro on the southbound trip and return from Spartanburg. Then the Cresent departs at the almost civilized hour of 11:56pm. The Spartanburg station was nicely redone a few years ago and should be an ok place to wait. It's not staffed but there is a waiting room and you will be able to enjoy the sleeper and breakfast in the diner.

Posts: 2397 | From: Camden, SC | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
amtraxmaniac
Member # 2251

Icon 1 posted      Profile for amtraxmaniac     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nationwide service by itself is in poor shape. Lets focus on corridors that would be profitable at BOTH ends. One still cannot get from Los Angeles to Denver without at least 3 connections. And if your trying to get to Dallas from Los Angeles....good luck making the connection to the TX Eagle in San Antonio! And still no Vegas rail service...no rail service to Phoenix...there's ONE daily direct service from LAX to the Bay Area (Coast Starlight). With no more Sunset Limited east of New Orleans now, and no CHI to Florida service, a person coming from the West or Midwest has to make 50 million connections (hyperbole, I know)to get anywhere in FL, GA, or the Carolinas.
At the federal level, these should take priority. Hopefully NCDOT can get Asheville service rolling. But pardon me for not shedding a tear over no service to Asheville. Amtrak should be focussing it's energy and resources on bigger gaps in nationwide service.

Posts: 387 | From: Bakersfield, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by amtraxmaniac:
Nationwide service by itself is in poor shape. Lets focus on corridors that would be profitable at BOTH ends. One still cannot get from Los Angeles to Denver without at least 3 connections. And if your trying to get to Dallas from Los Angeles....good luck making the connection to the TX Eagle in San Antonio! And still no Vegas rail service...no rail service to Phoenix...there's ONE daily direct service from LAX to the Bay Area (Coast Starlight). With no more Sunset Limited east of New Orleans now, and no CHI to Florida service, a person coming from the West or Midwest has to make 50 million connections (hyperbole, I know)to get anywhere in FL, GA, or the Carolinas.
At the federal level, these should take priority. Hopefully NCDOT can get Asheville service rolling. But pardon me for not shedding a tear over no service to Asheville. Amtrak should be focussing it's energy and resources on bigger gaps in nationwide service.

We're not asking you to shed a tear regarding service to Asheville....

I do think that the issues which have prevented this one operation (which has been 'in the works' since 1994) from coming on-line are pretty much the same roadblocks which exist elsewhere. It's a good case study if nothing else.

I'd add that no one is looking for Amtrak to focus their resources and energy on this train. If it comes to be it would be Amtrak in name only. The train would be 100% subsidized by the NCDOT. Crews would be Amtrak employees but their salaries would be fully subsidized by the NCDOT. The equipment would be owned by the NCDOT. The consist would be maintained by employees of the NCDOT. The stations would be staffed by NCDOT employees.

It's much the same model that exists in California. Were it not for the state's involvement the only trains stopping in Sacramento would be numbers 5/6 and 11/14.

There are many dots on the map that I would like to connect with passenger trains.....but without state involvement in the present climate, not many of those dots are going to get connected.

--------------------
David Pressley

tarheelman
Member # 6095

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by notelvis:
quote:
Originally posted by amtraxmaniac:

We're not asking you to shed a tear regarding service to Asheville....

I do think that the issues which have prevented this one operation (which has been 'in the works' since 1994) from coming on-line are pretty much the same roadblocks which exist elsewhere. It's a good case study if nothing else.

I'd add that no one is looking for Amtrak to focus their resources and energy on this train. If it comes to be it would be Amtrak in name only. The train would be 100% subsidized by the NCDOT. Crews would be Amtrak employees but their salaries would be fully subsidized by the NCDOT. The equipment would be owned by the NCDOT. The consist would be maintained by employees of the NCDOT. The stations would be staffed by NCDOT employees.

It's much the same model that exists in California. Were it not for the state's involvement the only trains stopping in Sacramento would be numbers 5/6 and 11/14.

There are many dots on the map that I would like to connect with passenger trains.....but without state involvement in the present climate, not many of those dots are going to get connected.

Good points!

As was discussed on here a few weeks ago, corridor service between L.A. and S.F. appears to be doable, albeit at a maximum speed of 79 MPH due to the difficult terrain that the track crosses. Therefore, hopefully the CADOT will be able to use the proposed federal matching funds to improve this track so that a couple of 79 MPH Amtrak California corridor day trains can be added without interfering with UP's freight trains.

As David points out, no matter where in the country you live, the present political climate necessitates state involvement if train service is to be improved.

train lady
Member # 3920

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for train lady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
thanks for the advice on the Asheville trip. I think the Greensboro route seems to be the best inspite of the added drive time. Fortunately my cousin is one who enjoys driving.
Posts: 1577 | From: virginia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tarheelman
Member # 6095

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by train lady:
thanks for the advice on the Asheville trip. I think the Greensboro route seems to be the best inspite of the added drive time. Fortunately my cousin is one who enjoys driving.

Glad we could help, train lady. I'm sure you'll enjoy the 'Carolinian'. The scenery isn't bad, especially the river crossings (the Rapahannock [sp?] and the James are particularly nice) and the journey through Ashland, which has a lot of beautifully restored old homes along the streets that parallel the track. In addition, although it's a cafe car rather than a full service dining car, the food on this train is very good for what it is (sandwiches, salads, and other lunch type items). No one in my family has had anything in the cafe car on this train that they didn't like.

Have a great trip (when the time comes)! [Smile]

RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
amtraxmaniac said:

"Nationwide service by itself is in poor shape. Lets focus on corridors that would be profitable at BOTH ends. One still cannot get from Los Angeles to Denver without at least 3 connections......."

You are right about the poor quality of nationwide AMTRAK service, amtrax, however, it only takes 1 connection to get from L.A. to Denver -- at Emeryville.

Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by RRRICH:
amtraxmaniac said:

"Nationwide service by itself is in poor shape. Lets focus on corridors that would be profitable at BOTH ends. One still cannot get from Los Angeles to Denver without at least 3 connections......."

You are right about the poor quality of nationwide AMTRAK service, amtrax, however, it only takes 1 connection to get from L.A. to Denver -- at Emeryville.

Or, if you really like to ride the train, you could make the transfer at Galesburg, IL!

Trainlady, Greensboro to Asheville is not a bad drive at all........the only pity is that coming off the Carolinian it will already be dark when you reach the best of it!

--------------------
David Pressley

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page