RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Link: Air: $2,500 Amtrak: $216

Author Topic: Link: Air: $2,500 Amtrak: $216
amtraksupporter
Member # 5619

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for amtraksupporter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From the Fargo paper:

"Geri Lewis, Fargo, letter: Saving lots of money by going with Amtrak"

http://www.in-forum.com/Opinion/articles/185633

Posts: 82 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think it safe assumption that one criticism of the Amtrak Coach LD product never heard is "outlandish" fares.

While there could well be conjecture on this point, I do not think Sleeper fares are outlandish; they simply are "priced to market", and for a single traveler, they are quite competitive with 'sane' auto travel, i.e. hotel for overnights after each ten hours of driving vice a 'few winks' at a truckstop.

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DesertSpirit
Member # 3848

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for DesertSpirit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'll pretty much pay whatever they want. I'm not getting into a plane.
Posts: 30 | From: Colorado | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
train lady
Member # 3920

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for train lady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Desert Spirit.. I am with you. My flying days are over!!I am not going to pay to be the fifteenth sardine in a can built for twelve, in a seat with my knees up around my chin, squeezed in between 2 others and to top it off the seat in front of me pushed back into my lap. That is if we get off the ground and don't have to spend 2 days in the airport. I don't do sleeping on the floor any more.
Posts: 1577 | From: virginia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rick Morris
Member # 5347

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rick Morris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I absolutely agree. Being what they call a "passenger of size", I have to pay for 2 seats on a plane. Not going to happen. And with Amtrak's seats wider than a plane, that's a huge comfort. I'd sooner take Amtrak than fly anymore.
Posts: 23 | From: Spokane, WA | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rick Morris:
I absolutely agree. Being what they call a "passenger of size", I have to pay for 2 seats on a plane. Not going to happen. And with Amtrak's seats wider than a plane, that's a huge comfort. I'd sooner take Amtrak than fly anymore.

I am not a small person by any means (6'4" , 295 lbs) and have not yet been classified as a 'passenger of size'.

I feel like that's pretty much a subjective label depending on who is making the call and I am concerned that sooner or later an airline ticket clerk is going to demand double payment in order to let me on a plane. If/when that does happen it's unlikely that I'll bring myself to fly again short of absolute neccessity.

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr williams
Member # 1928

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mr williams     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
At 6' 0" and 275 lbs us lardies must stick together!
Posts: 395 | From: england | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
George Harris
Member # 2077

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for George Harris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mr williams:
At 6' 0" and 275 lbs us lardies must stick together!

If you are in a plane, you will, whether you want to or not.
Posts: 2808 | From: Olive Branch MS | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
train lady
Member # 3920

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for train lady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tonight's news broadcast showed people sleeping all over the floors and chairs in various airports. The terrible ice storms have forced many flight cancellations and people are stranded. They shoulda taken the trains
Posts: 1577 | From: virginia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tarheelman
Member # 6095

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for tarheelman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by train lady:
Tonight's news broadcast showed people sleeping all over the floors and chairs in various airports. The terrible ice storms have forced many flight cancellations and people are stranded. They shoulda taken the trains

If they had taken the trains, not only would they have been able to get where they wanted to go, but they would've saved money, too---the fare costs less (in some cases, *a lot* less).
Posts: 100 | From: Kernersville, NC | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rresor
Member # 128

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for rresor     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I'm not sure I wholly agree with the above. At 5'10" and 260, I'm not skinny, but I fit into a plane seat. And if I want to go from PHL to BOS, I can do it for less than $100 RT on Airtran or about $160 on Amtrak -- and Airtran takes 1:15 while Amtrak takes six hours if it's on time.

As for ice storms, we had them here last winter. They brought down signal cables and my 1:45 trip from PHL to WAS on Amtrak took more than three hours.

Posts: 614 | From: Merchantville, NJ. USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Airtran is one of the carriers I look at when I need to fly. I like that they have non-stop flights from Charlotte to both BWI and Chicago Midway......and on Boeing 717's. Not big planes but big enough. The small regional jets are very uncomfortable for me.....and that starts the instant I board since I can't even walk down the aisle without ducking.

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
train lady
Member # 3920

Member Rated:
Be that as it may if you had an airline ticket you could have spent several days and nights in the airport. Instead you spent 3 hours on a warm train.
cassrr
Member # 1834

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for cassrr     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by train lady:
Be that as it may if you had an airline ticket you could have spent several days and nights in the airport. Instead you spent 3 hours on a warm train.

Add to that the two hours (+/-) spent at the airport prior to boarding, not having to remove your shoes, belt, pocket change, etc to board, not having the contents of your carry-on items publicy displayed during the search....yep, add me to the train only list! Doubtful Delta will miss me much anyway.
Posts: 21 | From: Huntington, WV USA | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page