RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » New Menu fromTrain 4 to La Plata I rode

Author Topic: New Menu fromTrain 4 to La Plata I rode
chrisg
Member # 2488

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for chrisg   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good meals are back.

Breakfast
Today's Omelet Selection
Scrambled Eggs
Railroad French Toast
Chef's Morning Marketplace Special which was a Belgium Waffle that I enjoyed
Bacon and Sausage

Lunch
Appetizers
Chicken Wings
Chips and Salsa (Sleeping Car passengers pay for these on this menu}

Build Your Own Burger
Chef's Luncheon Special was Roast Beef and Marsh Pototoes
Cold Sandwich which was Turkey
Speciality Fresh Salad

Dinner
Appetizers
Chicken Wings
Chips and Salsa
Shrimp Cocktail(Sleeping Car passengers pay for these on this menu)

Flat Iron Steak
Seafood Selection
Roast Game Hen
Vegetarian Special
Chef's Marketplace Special was Braised Beef
Build your own Burger

Desserts
Server will describe
Ice Cream Chocolate or Vanilla

Posts: 711 | From: Santa Ana | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
french toast -

nuked beef burger -

steak -

That's my menu for my next full day on Amtrak.

Has anyone been on the City of New Orleans and tried the fare from their 'Cross Country Cafe' yet?

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Southwest Chief
Member # 1227

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Southwest Chief   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Very interesting with appetizers. I can't remember a time when this was a menu option.

--------------------
Matt
Visit gallery for photos of our train layouts

Posts: 579 | From: San Bernardino Subdivison | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
train lady
Member # 3920

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for train lady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Years ago on the Capitol Limited there was a first class section in the diner. There we were were served Pate and white wine or a soft drink while perusing the menu. Also on either the Capitol or Cardinal ( can't remember which) there was a separate lounge for "first class" and before the evening meal appetizers and drinks were served there. It was very comfortable with sofas and over stuffed chairs. "those were the days"!!! There was no extra charge for the food.
Posts: 1577 | From: virginia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aircrest7
Member # 5548

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for aircrest7     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
First of all let me say I can eat most anything. Some things are better than others, but I met my match on the Capital Ltd. Bob Evans scramble. It was the the god awful tasting mess I have ever seen. I have read others like it and I am sure it was just the way it was heated on my trip, but it was simply uneatable. I was not disappointed to see it gone from the menu. The new menu will be a big hit.
Posts: 30 | From: Seattle | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by aircrest7:
First of all let me say I can eat most anything. Some things are better than others, but I met my match on the Capital Ltd. Bob Evans scramble. It was the the god awful tasting mess I have ever seen. I have read others like it and I am sure it was just the way it was heated on my trip, but it was simply uneatable. I was not disappointed to see it gone from the menu. The new menu will be a big hit.

It was not just you, trust me. I tried the Scrambler on the westbound California Zephyr in April 2006.

Words cannot describe how awful it was. Wait. I think I can. For supper that night (we were about 5 hours late) descending into Sacramento we were offered leftover Country Fried Steak for dinner.

I ENJOYED the Country Fried Steak. Compared to the Scrambler it was fantastic.

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr williams
Member # 1928

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mr williams     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh my God! I'd tried to forget the Bob Evans scramble. I had it on the Capitol in April 2006 and I can only agree with aircrest7 and notelvis that it was one of the most revolting things I've ever been presented with.

My neighbour's cat has coughed up better looking things than that!!

Posts: 395 | From: england | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Judy McFarland
Member # 4435

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Judy McFarland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In a closer reading I noticed "marsh" potatoes - hopefully that means mashed??

And that Bob Evans scramble did look dreadful. It may have tasted fine, but. . . .

(And I actually liked the country fried steak - no gourmet here)

--------------------
My new "default" station (EKH) has no baggage service or QuikTrak machine, but the parking is free! And the NY Central RR Museum is just across the tracks (but not open at Amtrak train times. . ..)

Posts: 337 | From: Goshen, IN | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page