RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Hotels in Kingman, AZ

Author Topic: Hotels in Kingman, AZ
Railroad Bill
Member # 5097

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Railroad Bill     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello and Merry Christmas,
Will be arriving on SWC to Kingman, AZ Jan 11 for a three day stay. Has anyone stayed there and can recommend motels in the area. Looking at the Quality Inn since it has free shuttle service to and from Amtrak station at 3am. But some Quality Inns are a bit dated and so also looking at the Comfort Inn or Holiday Inn Express. Any assistance is appreciated.
Thanks much.

Posts: 87 | From: Ohio | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In that market segment, Holiday Inn Express is likely the "best of the bunch".

Even if I normalIy prefer "a little higher up on the food chain", I stay at them myself; specifically one in Coralville, IA and another in Boca Raton - the latter because for years it was a full-service Holiday Inn and neither its housekeeping not its management has "gone downhill" (besides there are many restaurant options in the area).

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRCHINA
Member # 1514

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRCHINA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There are several east about one mile on old Hwy. 66. Probably the best is a Best Western. Get them on the net for details, but likely they will also pick you up. Nothing that I can think of near the station so you should have arrangements in advance.
Posts: 467 | From: Prescott, AZ USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Southwest Chief
Member # 1227

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Southwest Chief   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Kingman Quality Inn is pretty old, although I've never actually stayed there. But we drive through Kingman twice a summer, and occasionally in the winter.

However since they offer a shuttle, well I might be tempted by that alone. You'll be in Kingman at the dead of night, and it's not the best time to be out and about near the station. Plan for very cold weather in January, especially when getting off and on the train.

--------------------
Matt
Visit gallery for photos of our train layouts

Posts: 579 | From: San Bernardino Subdivison | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blancoj
Member # 2918

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for blancoj     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Three days in Kingman? I'm sorry. I have family in Kingman and even though I love my family, I don't go to Kingman often to visit them. Kingman is truly the armpit of Northern Arizona.

Having said that, are you looking more toward the free shuttle from the train station, or are comfy accommodations more important? If it's the latter, I'd choose the Holiday Inn Express. If memory serves me correctly, it's very near the freeway (and very near an In N Out Burger, yum!)

I understand the Best Western was remodeled in 2004, so it might not be all that dated. The Comfort Inn is icky, don't stay there.

While in Kingman, be sure to eat at the DamBar. Excellent food, and if you go before 6 PM, ask for the Early Bird menu (same food, cheaper prices). I'm so fond of their catfish that it's almost worth a trip to Kingman just to eat there.

Posts: 26 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bill, any of these "loosely affiliated" chains such as Best Western can be a "crapshoot'. Some properties with the owner and family on premises can be very good, but others.....well, before I struck them and other Ma and Pa's off my list I had too many of the, let's say...others.

Although Holiday Inn Express has "conversion" properties in the chain, their standards are quite rigid and I think as full service Holiday Inns lose relevance in the ever more segmented hospitality industry, Express could well become the preeminent, and even the only, Holiday Inn brand.

Finally, I presume you will want a rental auto; if that be the case it appears that Enterprise is the only "major' with a downtown location. Hertz and Budget apparently are out at the airport.

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not that I've been to Kingman BUT I would also vouch for Holiday Inn Express.

We've had good experience with them in the past.

As to the others mentioned, I've been uncomfortable in some icky, foul smelling Comfort Inns and I've found something lacking...quality I think.....in some Quality Inns.

These days on solo trips I still frequent Red Roof Inns for their cheapness and consistent decency......for family trips we're becoming fans of Country Inns where we can get accomodations with a door between the room with the couch and the room with the bed.....and the hot breakfast.....that's worth $20 a day with a family of three.

As for lodging in Arizona......I'm still hot to give the La Posada in Winslow a try.

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page