RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Where did you 'Go to School' and......... (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Where did you 'Go to School' and.........
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gilbert -- as always, I believe you are correct that the train I rode from Cleveland to South Bend in the 1950's was the New York Central. I believe in those days we also rode the Nickel Plate on occasion.
Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SilverStar092
Member # 2652

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for SilverStar092     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In January 1973 I transferred closer to home, Florida State University in Tallahassee. Unfortunately the Gulf Wind was axed 2 years earlier but I did manage a few train trips as the Floridian stopped 25 miles away in Thomasville, GA. On a couple occasions I rode it home to or from Miami in a roomette as it was an overnight trip at that time. I also made a one day round trip with a friend from Thomasville to Montgomery, AL and on another weekend rode overnight from Thomasville to Sebring, FL in former Denver Zephyr flat end dome observation car "Silver Veranda" then took the Silver Meteor to Ocala and a bus back to Tallahassee. The train also figured into a couple of sports events: two friends and I took the Floridian from Thomasville to Jacksonville and back to attend an afternoon basketball game between Florida State and Jacksonville University (the Floridian schedule was "flipped" at that time, 2 days + 1 night Chicago to FL rather than 2 nights + 1 day). And on another trip, a friend and I drove to Tampa to visit Busch Gardens then I took the Floridian from Clearwater to Winter Park so I could see FSU vs. Texas Tech in the 1977 Tangerine Bowl. Finally we got Amtrak here then just before my son started FSU, Amtrak pulled the plug with its "suspension" of the Sunset Limited.
Posts: 561 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Those are great Floridian memories SilverStar. I would add that during the time when the schedule was 'flipped', the original Auto-Train (not Amtrak's reincarnation) was running a Sanford, FL to Louisville, KY route and had an agreement to combine their train with Amtrak's Floridian.

This combined operation didn't quite last two years and the Auto-Train portion of the route was discontinued even before the Floridian was. Perhaps the biggest casualty of this arrangement was that when it began (October 1976 I think) Amtrak moved their Louisville operations from Union Station downtown out to Auto-Train's facility well south of town hidden behind rows of aluminum warehouses.

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page