RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » 2 good RR Movies (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: 2 good RR Movies
whistler
Member # 2620

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for whistler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by train lady:
yes Sojourner. I agree with you . Joan Hickson was super and I don't think anyone can even come close to her ability to convince she was Miss Marple. I did see a rerun of Paddington and to be honest was so underhelmed I don't
remember who the actress was.

I agree about Joan Hickson, so did Agatha Christie.

Margaret Rutherford's "Murder She Said"(4:50 from Paddington) is a enjoyable version.

Hitchcock's "The 39 Steps" and of course "The Lady Vanish's" have railroad scene's or in the case of "The Lady Vanishes" takes place mostly on a train.

--------------------
Paul E Larson

Posts: 34 | From: Camillus NY USA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Henry Kisor
Member # 4776

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Henry Kisor   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The semianimation "Polar Express" is also a great train movie, but foamers of our vintage might not have seen it. Just ask your grandchildren about it. I saw it recently and was enchanted.
Posts: 2236 | From: Evanston, Ill. and Ontonagon, Mich. | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We watch "Polar Express" every Christmas -- we have the DVD. It is definitely for the "younger set," but we think it is a "cute" film, and does get us in the Christmas spirit somewhat.
Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Whistler, you probably know this, but just to clarify for others: By the time Hickson actually played Miss Marple, in the series we have been talking about, Agatha Christie had died. However, Agatha Christie saw Joan Hickson in a stage play of hers in the 1940s. She liked the performance so much she wrote to Ms Hickson and said something like "I hope you will play Miss Marple."
Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rresor
Member # 128

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for rresor     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, some of my favorites ("Murder on the Orient Express") have already been mentioned, as have some turkeys. But one movie I happened to catch on TV a number of years ago was a winner: "Dark of the Sun", set in the Congo during the Mau-Mau uprising against Belgian colonial rule in the 1950s -- but filmed entirely in Guatemala on the International Railways of Central America, all with American narrow-gauge steam and wooden passenger cars. The movie opens with a steam loco making up the train in the early morning darkness. Great photography and sound!
Posts: 614 | From: Merchantville, NJ. USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tanner929
Member # 3720

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tanner929     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Since this post can go on....
Watched an old Jack Lemmon Doris Day movie the other day "It Happend to Mary." from 1959. Its about a small business women in Maine battling a ruthless railroad owner played by Ernie Kovacs. Interesting look at railroads in the fifties. Plus a Film clip of Grand Central before the Pan Am building the NYC building and baggage area. Also a scened that is suppose to be the Hartford Union Station, they are on the platform with the Old Capitol Building Dome in the background.

Posts: 516 | From: New Haven, CT USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"It Happened to Jane" vice "Mary"

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0052933/

http://rypn.sunserver.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4859

http://thenhrhtanewhavenrailroadforum.yuku.com/reply/43580/t/3016-Question.html

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
royaltrain
Member # 622

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for royaltrain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm glad someone mentioned "It Happened to Jane" as that movie inspired me to inform Amtrak that unless they paid my judgment (I sued them back in 2000 for one of their many outrages) that I would order the Sheriff to seize either the Maple Leaf or the International the next time it came through Toronto. Amtrak finally settled with me so I was deprived of the fun of living out a film fantasy.
Posts: 524 | From: Toronto Ont. Canada | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page