RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Jan 30th getting closer...

Author Topic: Jan 30th getting closer...
PullmanCo
Member # 1138

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PullmanCo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
New Jersey Transit and Long Island Rail Road have published their Amtrak strike contingency plans.

CALTRAIN has said "If there's a strike, then we're shut down."

Didn't Metrolink find a new vendor besides Amtrak to staff their trains?

It's gonna be gridlock in a fair number of cities. Are you ready to watch?

After all, the price of the PEB is only $150 million... that Amtrak doesn't have. Their options to get it are 1) Cut services, 2) Raise fares, 3) Ask Congress for a supplemental.

Posts: 1404 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
City of Miami
Member # 2922

Icon 1 posted      Profile for City of Miami     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I say let them strike. We might shock ourselves into the 21st Century and get something that actually works OK.

On the other hand, I hope that the strike is not until 1/31 as I am planning to take #21 from DAL to AUS 1/30. Totally selfish as always - along with everyone else LOL!!

Posts: 326 | From: San Antonio Texas USA | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for smitty195     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If Caltrain shuts down, it will be a mess here in the Bay Area, that's for sure.....

Re: Metrolink.....it's not Amtrak crews. I forget the name of the company that operates those trains though. I wanna say Herzog, but I don't think I'm correct.

Posts: 2355 | From: Pleasanton, CA | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As likely one could have surmised the "eleventh hour" has come and a strike averted.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/01/18/nyregion/18amtrak.html

Likewise same here in Illinois with the "mass transit funding crisis".

http://www.suntimes.com/news/transportation/747172,CST-NWS-transit18.article

But any provision to blanketly afford Senior Citizens a free ride is absurd. I for one, at age 67 and able bodied, can quite afford to pay my freight; so can the vast majority. For those who cannot, free rides can be added to the array of benefits that an existing "litmus" (need) program named Circuit Breaker offers to Seniors whose need for such has been established.

But then, Seniors are a very reliable voting bloc; and there are no term limits attached to any Illinois public office coming to mind.

Posts: 9976 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TNCMAXQ
Member # 4875

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TNCMAXQ     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had forgotten this was an issue. I am going to DC Feb 7-10 and hope this is resolved. If not I might have to consider driving from New Haven, which I said I would never do again. Or fly. At this late stage the lower fares from Hartford probably are sold out. I haven't flown from NY in many years because of the hassle involved in getting there, but I might have to consider that. Then there is the hassle of getting from Reagan airport to my hotel in NW DC with my heavy suitcase. The scenarios just are not good. [Wink] I just hope a strike can be averted.
Posts: 17 | From: CT | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CG96
Member # 1408

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for CG96     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One result of all these threats is that if they ever came to pass, passengers are not going to discern between Amtrak management and Amtrak labor. The average man and woman on the street will tell their congress member to "get rid of Amtrak." Any strike of this magnitude will be enough to push those elected officials on the bench to the anti-Amtrak, and anti-passenger rail, side of railroad issues.

Get the issues settled, otherwise there may be no passenger trains outside of commuter rail.

--------------------
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one corner of the Earth all one's life."

Posts: 506 | From: Wisconsin | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Henry Kisor
Member # 4776

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Henry Kisor   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There seems to have been a tentative settlement this morning.
Posts: 2236 | From: Evanston, Ill. and Ontonagon, Mich. | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TNCMAXQ
Member # 4875

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TNCMAXQ     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I guess I can say "never mind" about my earlier post. [Wink] In any case I am relieved. Any shutdown of Amtrak would create huge travel headaches for a lot of people. So this is good news. I hope the agreement stands.
Posts: 17 | From: CT | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
palmland
Member # 4344

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for palmland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Henry for the good news, hope it holds. Just received tickets this am for SWC/LSL trip starting Jan. 30.
Posts: 2397 | From: Camden, SC | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ham Radio
Member # 6587

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ham Radio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's a link to the news article regarding the tentative settlement of the Amtrak labor talks:
UTU: News

It's looking good for no strike. [Wink]

--------------------
Ham Radio
Orange County, California

Posts: 46 | From: Orange County, CA | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page