RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » New Passenger station for Albuquerque

Author Topic: New Passenger station for Albuquerque
royaltrain
Member # 622

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for royaltrain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Amtrak has announced that they are now using Albuquerque's Alvarado Transportation Center for the Southwest Chief. It's about time the passengers will once again have a proper station to wait in. However I am a bit confused by Amtrak's news release that says they are in the Alvarado Center, and yet are sharing space with Greyhound. When I was through Albuquerque last month, the Greyhound and Alvarado Center are two separate structures. One for Greyhound and the Alvarado for local buses. So which building will Amtrak actually use?
Posts: 524 | From: Toronto Ont. Canada | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here is the Amtrak news release noted by Mr. Royal:

http://www.amtrak.com/servlet/ContentServer?pagename=Amtrak/am2Copy/News_Release_Page&c=am2Copy&cid=1178294102200&ssid=180

Photo of Amtrak's new home:

http://www.pbase.com/merriwolf/image/58025264

"In happier days":

http://harvey.library.arizona.edu/finding_aid/7nm/4/7-4-34.html

And finally, this University of Illinois "alum" just has to note this "oh so PI" link:

http://harvey.library.arizona.edu/finding_aid/7nm/7/7-7-1.htm

Posts: 9977 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
royaltrain
Member # 622

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for royaltrain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mr. Norman, I did see the press release, but it is still confusing. Greyhound is not in the Alvarado Center, yet it says it is sharing space with Greyhound, and Greyhound has its own building abount 100 ft. west of the Alvarado Center with the Amtrak shack in the middle of these two structures.
Posts: 524 | From: Toronto Ont. Canada | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Southwest Chief
Member # 1227

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Southwest Chief   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
About freaking time!!!

I think the whole "Alvarado" thing is a misnomer. The transportation complex is almost always referred to Alvarado. The Greyhound bus center is just a part of the entire transportation complex, i.e. Alvarado.

I can almost guarantee that Amtrak is sharing the new Greyhound depot. Shhsh don't tell those pesky/nosey security cops they have there, but that's what I've been using as the Amtrak station for the last year and a half when I’ve taken the Chief out of ABQ. The entrance to the tracks/platform is right behind the Greyhound building, so it makes perfect sense to use it. That's what I originally thought would happen, it just took a little longer then expected.

Here's hoping the old shack is demolished for some parking. There’s nowhere to park at the current station area.

But this is just terrific news. Also interesting that it might mean a more permanent connection with Amtrak to the whole Raton route. Perhaps. But I’m sure even if the southern route is ever taken, ABQ will still be serviced (wye in and out).

Take a look at this video of ABQ and the Southwest Chief my sister shot:

ABQ Video Clip

In the beginning of the video, the "true" Alvarado Center would be to the left of the view behind the red Rail Runner platform. At 1:10 of the clip you'll notice the back of the Greyhound depot...now to the right of the tracks. The Chief stops right in front of the Greyhound depot.

--------------------
Matt
Visit gallery for photos of our train layouts

Posts: 579 | From: San Bernardino Subdivison | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TwinStarRocket
Member # 2142

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TwinStarRocket     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As a frequent traveller to ABQ, I agree the location of the Greyhound facility is closer to the Chief than either the awful Amtrak building or the Alvarado Transportation Center used for local bus and Railrunner service. It is a new building with attractive architecture and so close to the tracks.

Does this mean we smug train riders must share a waiting area with the dreaded riders of the Grey dog? Well, if you saw the old Amshack, that might be a step up. The sooner they tear down that building the better.

The old Amtrak is between the Alvarado (north) and Greyhound (south), two new very nice looking facilities. I suspect #3/4 parks far enough south to leave access to the Rail Runner at the north end of the Alvarado.

Posts: 1572 | From: St. Paul, MN | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cubzo
Member # 4700

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for cubzo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In reference to Southwest Chief's comment on the Greyhounds depot security guards. My last trip through there I was taking pictures of the inside of the depot. As soon as I started to take pictures two of these guards came up to me and said if I took one more they would consficate my camera. I stopped but wondered to myself if maybe a secret military installation was in there.
Posts: 229 | From: Long Beach CA | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
4021North
Member # 4081

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for 4021North     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by cubzo:
maybe a secret military installation was in there.

Probably not, but you really shouldn't be scaring people like that. You know, there are people out there taking pictures of things who shouldn't be. Anything that doesn't look right is a cause for concern.
Posts: 144 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ham Radio
Member # 6587

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ham Radio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As a sidebar to the overly-interested security detail at ABQ, last July when we arrived via the SW Chief I used my cellphone to call the car rental agency for pickup.

The rental firm asked for my cellphone so the pickup driver could call me when close, because the security detail always chase them out when they attempt to pull into the U-shaped driveway to pick up clients. (Not park, just pick up.)

Plan on walking out to the side street with your bags if someone is coming to pick you up.
[Eek!]

--------------------
Ham Radio
Orange County, California

Posts: 46 | From: Orange County, CA | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TwinStarRocket
Member # 2142

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TwinStarRocket     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You just jogged my memory. I do remember being watched very carefully when I quickly explored the bus station last March. I thought there might be something going that called for a security alert, or an overzealous guard on duty.

This creates more negative feelings for me than the old Amshack. Guess I'll take my oft spent tourist dollars to Santa Fe. Unlike the old Amshack, it is a problem that can be fixed.

Posts: 1572 | From: St. Paul, MN | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am certainly glad that an agreement has been reached that finally gets Amtrak out of the old Amshack in Albuquerque.

I'm wondering if the average non-rail enthusiast Amtrak patron will be put off by the security detail in Albuquerque? The average passenger wants a clean comfortable, secure from panhandlers place with acceptable restrooms to wait for a train. A snack bar is bonus.

If Average Joe Passenger avails himself to what amenities the station offers and waits patiently in the waiting area without showing an inordinate interest in the building or going back and forth, back and forth to the platform to take pictures of the trains, he isn't likely to attract the guard's attention.....I'm guessing.

I, on the other hand, would clearly be targeted as a security risk.

Anyone see any pictures of the new Amtrak ticketing area yet? I'll bet not!

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
palmland
Member # 4344

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for palmland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'll check it out on Sunday when we take the SWC east to Kansas. Good news though. When there last year I had no problems taking pictures in the bus terminal. Guess I wasn't looking evil that day.
Posts: 2397 | From: Camden, SC | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Railroad Bill
Member # 5097

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Railroad Bill     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello Gang,
Just returned from SWC trip last Thursday and found the ABQ facilities very nice, clean. Restrooms were in excellent condition and didnt have any hassles with any guards when I was taking photos. Did notice lots of security on the street side of the depot area but there were plenty of street people to keep moving out there. Coming from a small town it is quite disconcerting to see all the panhandlers at the large stations we visit. I offered to buy breakfast for a guy at a nearby McDonalds and he said no, he just wanted the money. I rest my case!

Posts: 87 | From: Ohio | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Southwest Chief
Member # 1227

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Southwest Chief   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Railroad Bill,

How do you get to the platform from the Greyhound depot? Did they open up the back doors? Or do you just walk out the front and to the right to get to the platform.

--------------------
Matt
Visit gallery for photos of our train layouts

Posts: 579 | From: San Bernardino Subdivison | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TwinStarRocket
Member # 2142

Member Rated:
There have always been lots of street people near the stations in ABQ. That's what you get for having such nice weather.

I used the local bus system last trip. Very impressive. A cheerful friendly security guy on each bus even kept the noise of conversations down. The buses were very clean.

chile2
Member # 3110

Rate Member
Icon 7 posted      Profile for chile2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's an article about the renovation from the ABQ Tribune:

<http://www.abqtrib.com/news/2008/jan/22/amtrak-moves-alvarado-center/>

in which I quote:
"The old station, called the Curio Building, will be used as a base for train and engine crews."

I wonder now that Amtrak has 'rights' to occupy the new building, if the security guys will be more accommodating of what appear to be bona fide train passengers. But the rent a cop enforcement is spotty; last year they ran off my very staid looking cousin with her car, but let a lowrider gangbanger load up his stuff at the curb.

I might speculate that some of the security has to do with keeping drug traffic out of the bus routes as much as the panhandlers.

Posts: 72 | From: USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Railroad Bill
Member # 5097

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Railroad Bill     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The back doors from the depot were open and then had to walk up the ramp to the right to get to the train. With the sleepers up front it was just a short walk across the tracks to our car. An interesting array of freight traffic on the track nearest the platform. Nine BNSF locos linked up heading north. Had to be careful crossing this track since several freights were moving along it.

The Roadrunner Train moved over to the track behind our SWC after loading its passengers.

The vendors were pretty cold and there was little business from our train. My wife bought several pieces, but when she went back after we had been in the depot, they were gone. Lock, Stock and Burritos!!.

It was a great place to spend an hour and a half as our SWC was half hour early into ABQ.

Posts: 87 | From: Ohio | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gibg
Member # 2565

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for gibg     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have to jump in on this one.

My memories of the original Alvarado (Fred Harvey) Hotel in the mid-1950s are still very vivid. The hotel and depot were one beautiful edifice. The bar in the Alvarado was classic Fred Harvey, serving (among many other delicious dishes) the best Monte Cristo sandwich in the world. When the Super Chief arrived, the announcement was preceded by a chime. It was very civilized, much like a cruise departure.

I have yet to actually see the current arrangement but I will always remember the original one.

Posts: 87 | From: Snowmass, CO USA | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SilverStar092
Member # 2652

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for SilverStar092     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It will be interesting to hear how the security folks treat Amtrak passengers. When I arrived in ABQ in May 2007 (see my TrainWeb article under "Previously featured stories") they tried to run my wife off when she arrived with a rented minivan to pick me up (she flew in earlier in the day). They guard the entrance to the driveway like hawks even though about one third of the curb space fronted the mini-Amtrak station. She managed to slip in when they weren't watching but it is a major pain. At the end of the trip, an Avis rental car shuttle van was not allowed to drop me off in the driveway area, having instead to opt for hanging on the edge of the street to unload. As zealous as those guys were, I wouldn't be surprised if they still deny Amtrak patrons. Please post comments here if someone encounters issues and I will make someone from the ABQ tourist office aware of this.
Posts: 561 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DeeCT
Member # 3241

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for DeeCT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Returning home from my November trip (2007), I too ran into the overzealous Security folk in ABQ. I went into the Greyhound Station looking to see if there was a Tourist brochure rack. On returning to the train I mistakenly exited by a "wrong" door (I went out the door where folks line up for the buses). The fuss and SCREAMING from one out of control security man who chased after me was definitely out of proportion to my "crime". (A fact commented on by several who witnessed the whole incident.)
Would I still consider ABQ as a tourist destination -- possibly -- but I have to admit that my encounter has made me wonder if I want to.

Dee

Posts: 460 | From: North Central CT | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page