RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » American Experience - Grand Central

Author Topic: American Experience - Grand Central
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
PBS American Experience is airing a documentary "Grand Central" tonight.

As always with PBS, "check local listings'.

WTTW Channel 11 (Chicago) is airing the documentary at 9PM (CT)

Posts: 9977 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just watched this & really enjoyed it.

I forgot to post all about my tour of Grand Central Station not that long ago--my friend and I went down to NYC to take it, and it was most excellent. This was the free Wednesday tour that meets by the clock at 12:30; I believe there is also a tour on Fridays that meets outside and includes some adjoining buildings etc etc and may cost money. One day I'd like to take that one too!

I should mention that though the tour is free, it's sponsored by the preservation organization for Grand Central and does ask for donations at the end, so we did give something. But it's not mandatory.

Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
train lady
Member # 3920

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for train lady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It was qite interesting to say the least.
Posts: 1577 | From: virginia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Railroad Bill
Member # 5097

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Railroad Bill     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, it was quite an interesting history. Our local PBS station followed the Grand Central program with another American Experience episode on the building of the New York Subway System. That, also, was an interesting tale of politics at its worst during the Boss Tweed days.
Posts: 87 | From: Ohio | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Another interesting PBS show about NYC, which one can get on VHS from many libraries, is called A Walk Up Broadway. I cannot recall how much it deals with the subway, but I think it does some.
Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jerome Nicholson
Member # 3116

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jerome Nicholson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I watched... too bad my PBS station went dead the first 15 minutes of the show! [Mad]
Good thing they repeat during the week.

Posts: 510 | From: Richmond VA USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ham Radio
Member # 6587

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ham Radio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good show.

--------------------
Ham Radio
Orange County, California

Posts: 46 | From: Orange County, CA | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here are selected links to material appearing in The New York Times. Anyone can get to the "previews", but if not a Times home delivery customer, just go to your library, ring up this posting and there are the links for you to browse The Times archives (ANY library subscribes to such):

http://query.nytimes.com/mem/archive-free/pdf?_r=1&res=9C0DE3D81E3AE633A25750C0A9649C946296D6CF&oref=slogin

http://query.nytimes.com/mem/archive-free/pdf?res=9E0CEFD81631E233A25755C1A96E9C946997D6CF

http://query.nytimes.com/mem/archive-free/pdf?res=9505EFD8133BE633A25750C2A9659C946296D6CF

Posts: 9977 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yukon11
Member # 2997

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for yukon11     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I saw the program on the Grand Central Terminal a couple of times. Very well done. Also, among others, we owe a debt of gratitute to the late Jacquline Kennedy Onasis for her efforts in its restoration.

Richard

Posts: 1909 | From: Santa Rosa | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
palmland
Member # 4344

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for palmland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the heads up on this program. We certainly enjoyed it. Of course I would like to have seen a bit more about the great trains that used it and maybe a tour of the more interesting rooms/spaces.

Guess I need to get back to NY and take a tour or hope for a sequel.

Posts: 2397 | From: Camden, SC | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Would someone who is not a New York Times subscriber try those links I posted and report the results of their efforts to the Forum?

They of course work for me, but then their webside knows I subscribe.

gibg
Member # 2565

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for gibg     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mr. Norman: All three links worked perfectly for me......and were really interesting. (I am not a NYT subscriber.) Thanks for the referral.
Posts: 87 | From: Snowmass, CO USA | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
train lady
Member # 3920

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for train lady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
all threee worked for me as well. I had posted that but apparently the forum didn't like my comment because it disappeared. I did find the articles quite interesting.
Posts: 1577 | From: virginia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dilly
Member # 1427

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dilly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I recorded the PBS documentary and have just gotten around to watching it. I'm usually impressed by their 'American Experience' offerings. But as someone who works in "the business" and served on the creative teams for various TV documentaries, I found this one a bit thin.

Given that the creators had less than 60 minutes, they devoted far too much airtime to the need for the Terminal (smoke/overcrowding/accidents), and far too little time to the actual design, construction, and subsequent history of the building itself from 1913 to the present.

The architects and historians who weighed in on the subject helped to some degree. But I felt the random "ordinary people" who spoke on camera had nothing especially interesting or eloquent to say -- apart from (for reasons that seemed to have little or nothing to do with traveling by train), they had once passed through the Terminal.

For sure, there were plenty of recent beauty-shots of the building. But even in 60 minutes, the creators could have done a more complete job of telling the story of what I consider the most fascinating -- and beautiful -- public building in New York, and certainly the most amazing train station in the world.

---------------------------

Posts: 793 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Southwest Chief
Member # 1227

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Southwest Chief   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have to agree with you Dilly.

I found the show lacking in "modern" history of the building. I was really looking forward to the possible discussion of the landmark Constitutional Law case all about Grand Central in, Penn Central v. New York. However, nothing in the program even hinted to it.

Were it not for that case, it is possible Grand Central could have looked like this:

-

Pretty amazing if you've never seen that proposed architectural photo before, yet the program never mentioned a thing about it.

--------------------
Matt
Visit gallery for photos of our train layouts

Posts: 579 | From: San Bernardino Subdivison | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
stlboomer
Member # 2028

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for stlboomer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A beautiful Grand Central photo:

http://www.shorpy.com/node/2702?size=_original

Some other nice old railroad photos on this site, too.

Posts: 103 | From: St. Louis, MO USA | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by Southwest Chief:

I found the show lacking in "modern" history of the building. I was really looking forward to the possible discussion of the landmark Constitutional Law case all about Grand Central in, Penn Central v. New York. However, nothing in the program even hinted to it.

There are of course numerous examples of such "building around, building over' a historic structure in New York.

One coming to mind is the Villard House which is the corporate symbol of Random House publishers.

During my railroad career, I had occasion to travel to New York for an audit at the site of the property manager for the four buildings atop CUS property. My MILW had a 25% interest in the air rights revenue for such. I can recall a manager at the New York concern stating how they, did not wish to be involved with any properties that could possibly be identified as "historic' as such "landmarking" simply restrains the owner from making "best use" of his real estate.

Obviously in New York, when Old Penn was chopped down, real estate interests had the "upper hand", but then there was a beloved lady named Jackie who saw things differently and Grand Central was spared such a fate.

TruckTrains
Member # 6938

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TruckTrains   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I missed it. err

--------------------
Train Horns&
Air Horns

Posts: 24 | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page