RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Boston to Indiana

Author Topic: Boston to Indiana
indiana
Member # 6901

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for indiana     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi All,
This is my first posting at the recommendation of Changeatjamaica. Great idea - I love train travel and sharing thoughts of those who also enjoy it. I like to travel from Boston to Lafayette IN (LAF)to visit my daughter each Spring. This year the trip seem stunningly more expensive than last year (particularly the roomette which I take on only one leg of the trip). I like to vary my route so go from Boston (SOU) overnight on coach to WAS. Long layover and then from Wash to Laf, IN in a roomette (a fun splurge). Then, return later that week via Chicago back to Boston (coach). Would travel on a different day help? Or, if anyone can think of a different route. I'd just like it not to be the same both ways. Any ideas appreciated.

Posts: 2 | From: Merrimac, Ma | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well Ms. Indiana Jones, you would certainly have the makings of a circle trip with this itinerary;

BOS-67-WAS-51-LAF-851-CHI-48-ALB-448-BOS

Save accessing Boston and Chicago, you would not ride over the same rail anytime on your journey.

One point, be mindful that #51, The Cardinal, only operates 3 days per week - Su We Fr if I'm not mistaken.

Posts: 9980 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It sounds like you've done the roomette on the Cardinal before and that one is priced prohibitively high......in part because there is only one sleeper on the train.

You may find a better sleeper rate using the Lake Shore Limited to Chicago (you would have the roomette from Albany westward) and then taking the Cardinal/Hoosier State from Chicago to Lafayette. This train operates daily as far as Indianapolis but without food service on the four evenings it does not continue eastward as the Cardinal.

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Liberty Limited
Member # 4300

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Liberty Limited   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome aboard!

If you're concerned about price, particularly for your sleeper trip, you might wish to consider travelling to Lafayette through Chicago aboard the Capitol Limited that runs from DC to Chicago. Roomettes on this train tend to be the most affordable of the east coast to mid-west trains, sometimes coming in just a little above a C-note for the accomodation for the entire trip from Washington to Chicago. Your mileage may vary, so check about a few dates.

As mentioned above, sleepers on the Cardinal tend to be cost-prohibitive for many as they are in very short supply with only one sleeper car in tow on this train.

If the arrival/departure times of using the train into Lafayette from the East and out towards the West (morning instead of evening), then you will probably want to stick to the original plan, though you may still want to investigate the e/b Capitol if you can hold out for the splurge for the roomette for the return ride.

--------------------
History of Baltimore and Baltimore Transit - Visit http://www.btco.net !

Posts: 86 | From: Baltimore | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
indiana
Member # 6901

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for indiana     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you all for your great ideas!! It feels good to know that if I have the odd question I can ask folks who have been around the rails, so to speak! I think I'll be taking the Capitol as some have suggested - I had no idea that the prices could be so different. It will also be a new adventure = Bos-Wash-Pitts-Chi-Laf then, on the return, Laf-Chi-Pitts-Phil-NY-Bos (on the Pennsylvanian)- A different round trip as long as I can make the times fit - I just love it!!
Posts: 2 | From: Merrimac, Ma | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page