RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Martinsburg, WV

Author Topic: Martinsburg, WV
ColtsFan417
Member # 6914

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ColtsFan417     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am heading out to MD/PA/WV to do some Civil War site seeing this spring. I will be taking the Capitol from EKH to MRB and renting a car for the week.

Unfortunately, I will need to return the car on Sunday, a day that the rental car agency will be closed.

Is anyone familiar with the MRB station? I'm trying to figure out the best way to drop off the car and get back to the station with my backpack and duffle. The distance between the rental car agency and the station is 3/4-7/8 of a mile. Is the station in a good neighborhood? Are there sidewalks? Does it have lockers to store my bags while I drop off the renal car and walk back? Anyone know if I would be able to call a cab in Martinsburg on a Sunday afternoon?

Thanks for your help!

Posts: 2 | From: Quincy, IN | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why not make Wash your rail destination at which all "majors' (and I think Enterprise as well) have offices AND autos right at Union Station?
Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
4021North
Member # 4081

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for 4021North     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As I recall, Washington is at least an hour and a half past Martinsburg eastbound, so if one's destination was in that area, they would have to ride/drive an extra three hours or so if they went to Washington.

It's been so long since I've been there I couldn't say about cabs or lockers. The station was pretty ratty though.

Posts: 144 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Quite correct Mr. 4021, but the issue is ready availability of a rental auto to meet Ms. ColtsFan's requirements for travel to destinations such as Antietam, Bull Run, and Gettysburg.
Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
4021North
Member # 4081

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for 4021North     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I didn't mean to suggest otherwise. I meant that there should be a station closer than Washington, D.C. that had rental cars available, as it sounds like Martinsburg does. As I remember, the station was in an OK neighborhood that almost certainly would have sidewalks. It would probably be OK if one doesn't mind walking a ways.
Posts: 144 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ColtsFan417
Member # 6914

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ColtsFan417     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the input. Not that I'm offended, but I'm a Ms. ColtsFan. [Wink]

I doesn't appear from Google to be that long of a walk, but if there were other, better ways of dropping the car off and getting myself back to the station, I would do that. I'll hope for no rain.

And next trip, I may just go all the way into DC, because that would be a good base for a Manassas/Fredricksburg/Chancellorsville trip...but that is at least one more year away.

Thanks for your help!

Posts: 2 | From: Quincy, IN | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page