RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » CAUTION - Possible Scam - Amtrak Guest Rewards

Author Topic: CAUTION - Possible Scam - Amtrak Guest Rewards
OCL1
Member # 4621

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for OCL1         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have received the following email purportedly from Amtrak. However, a close look at the URL reveals it to be:
amtrak@amtrak [then a bfi0 ] .com
[I've placed the "bfi0" in brackets to avoid this automatically becoming a URL link.]

The link provided is also suspicious. I did not click on the link, nor did I open any of the images.

Please be cautious.

The email message said:

Changes Coming to Your Amtrak.com Login

In an effort to streamline the login process and communicate more effectively with our customers, we will be changing the way you access your Amtrak.com account in a few weeks. Prior to this update, we ask that you log in to verify the accuracy of the information in your account.

Go to Amtrak.com Now and Update Your Profile [LINK]

This change will not affect how Amtrak Guest Rewards members log into amtrakguestrewards.com. More details will be forthcoming as the implementation of these system changes grows closer. Thank you for your cooperation in making this transition a smooth one.

Sincerely,
The Amtrak E-commerce Team

Posts: 5 | From: Ocala, Florida | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
royaltrain
Member # 622

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for royaltrain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I also received that e-mail, and I did hit the link and it took me to Amtrak's home page. I did think it suspicious, but there was no attachment and they did not ask for any personal information, credit card numbers etc., so perhaps it is legitimate.
Posts: 524 | From: Toronto Ont. Canada | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HopefulRailUser
Member # 4513

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for HopefulRailUser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Got it too and so did my spouse. I went directly to the Amtrak site rather than through the link and of course, my profile info is up to date. If this really came from Amtrak it was very poorly done as it is identical to the methods used by scam operators.

--------------------
Vicki in usually sunny Southern California

Posts: 951 | From: Redondo Beach, CA | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for smitty195     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't think it's a scam. Just a poorly written and configured email from Amtrak. I also received the email yesterday, and I updated my profile with Amtrak.com by going to the Amtrak website myself (without clicking on the link in the email). All I did was update my cell phone number, as everything else was unchanged for me.

This morning at about 8:15AM California time, I received another email from Amtrak that says this:
From time to time, we'll send you email messages with important information about special pricing or promotions available at Amtrak. (Should you wish to discontinue receiving these email messages at any time, simply follow the unsubscribe instructions below.)
The next time you're ready to book your travel, be sure to explore our web site to find out what we have to offer you. Here's a sample of what you can do at www.amtrak.com:
Enjoy the lowest fares available: When you book your trip on www.amtrak.com, you'll receive the best fares available. Why pay more?
Learn more about your exciting options for train travel: At www.amtrak.com, you can take a virtual tour to explore your options for an overnight trip in a luxury sleeper car. Or, find out about our "Quiet Car" service in the Northeast Corridor - no cell phones allowed!
Plan a journey you'll never forget: Choose from breathtaking routes passing across our country's magnificent mountains, deserts, and forests. Or take an exciting high-speed trip to America's great cities - you can find out more at www.amtrak.com.
Save with our online-only promotions and sales: Get the best deals available by visiting our Weekly Specials and Promotions pages.
Know your stuff: Wondering about Quik-Trak kiosks? Want to know more about rail passes? You can find out what seasoned travelers know by browsing through www.amtrak.com.
And, learn about our discounts: Great everyday deals for students, seniors, children, and veterans!

We look forward to serving you aboard Amtrak!

This e-mail message was sent to you by Amtrak. We at Amtrak endeavor to send these e-mail messages only to those recipients who have elected to receive them through registration at amtrak.com. This is a reoccurring mailing. To stop receiving Amtrak e-mails, please reply to this message and type "Unsubscribe" in the subject line.
Amtrak is a registered service mark of the National Railroad Passenger Corporation. Our mailing address is : Amtrak, ATTN: Marketing E-Commerce Department, 10 G Street NE, Washington, DC 20002.
Amtrak.com | Help | Contact Us

Posts: 2355 | From: Pleasanton, CA | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TruckTrains
Member # 6938

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TruckTrains   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for letting us know OCL

--------------------
Train Horns&
Air Horns

Posts: 24 | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tommers207
Member # 3930

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for tommers207     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you go to www.amtrak.com you'll see a link that will take you to the same info.

--------------------
Remember no matter where you go, there you are - Buckaroo Bonzai

Posts: 45 | From: Fullerton, CA | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
While, in this rare instance, the Amtrak announcement appears to be "legit", vigilance is the watchword anywhere on the internet.

Why "the few" for whatever sick and demented reasons, must corrupt this amazing resource simply escapes me.

Straight from the Horse's mouth

Posts: 9977 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page