RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » EMPIRE BUILDER

Author Topic: EMPIRE BUILDER
G E HURN
Member # 6950

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for G E HURN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
AFTER WE MADE RESERVATIONS TO CONNECT TO THE CAPITOL LIMITED FROM THE EMPIRE BUILDER OUT OF PORTLAND, WE LEARN THAT THE TRAIN IS SO LATE 8 DAYS OUT OF 10 THE CONNECTION CAN'T BE MADE.
AMTRAK SHOULD HAVE INFORMED US WHEN THE RESERVATION WAS MADE. [Mad]

Posts: 3 | From: FLORIDA | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Liberty Limited
Member # 4300

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Liberty Limited   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For what month did you make the reservation?

Looking at the past few weeks, the ratio of connects to disconnects actually appears to be 7 made to 11 missed, but this is VERY abnormal for the Empire Builder which is usually one of the most dependable Amtrak trains. It appears the Winter weather has been killing the train's OTP.

--------------------
History of Baltimore and Baltimore Transit - Visit http://www.btco.net !

Posts: 86 | From: Baltimore | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Are you sure you don't have the Empire Builder confused with the California Zephyr? Short of abnormal weather conditions the Empire Builder is usually within three hours of on-time.....or there in plenty of time to make the connection you have booked.

If, by chance, you miss your connection, Amtrak will have some plan in place for misconnects. Might be a night in a Chicago hotel and continuing the following day or some other arrangement.

Regardless, welcome to the forum. You'll find that there are a number of savvy Amtrak travelers here who have 'been there, done that' and who will be happy to offer suggestions when you're planning future rail trips.

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
www.amtrakdelays.com

Although this site is unofficial, the information reportedly is "mined' from Amtrak Train Status.

While nothing is 100% guaranteed in this life, Amtrak 'goes that extra step" to accommodate misconnect passengers when compared with air transport. Naturally, if you are traveling Sleeper, they will 'do more', including offering you air transportation to destination.

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for smitty195     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by G E HURN:
AFTER WE MADE RESERVATIONS TO CONNECT TO THE CAPITOL LIMITED FROM THE EMPIRE BUILDER OUT OF PORTLAND, WE LEARN THAT THE TRAIN IS SO LATE 8 DAYS OUT OF 10 THE CONNECTION CAN'T BE MADE.
AMTRAK SHOULD HAVE INFORMED US WHEN THE RESERVATION WAS MADE. [Mad]

Since this is your first post, I'd like to kindly suggest that you do not use all capitol letters when making posts. In internet language, this indicates you are shouting. Maybe you intended to shout??

Next point......We can probably help you out a little bit more if you let us know where you got your information. You said that "we learned" that the connection is late 8 out of 10 times and you can not connect. I have a fairly good deal of experience with riding Amtrak trains and making connections in Chicago. Your information about connecting from #28 (Empire Builder out of Portland) to #30 (Capitol Limited out of Chicago) is not correct. Train #28 (which is also the same train as #8 by the time it gets to Chicago) generally runs on-time and sometimes early. It is extremely rare for #8 or #28 to arrive into Chicago so late that you miss the connection with #30. Since you didn't state where you learned this information, I will go on the assumption that your source was wrong. I think you have a safe connection, and if for some reason the train-to-train connection at Chicago is missed, Amtrak will do everything it can to get you on the Capitol Limited somehow. There are several ways to do this. Only under the worst circumstances will you be put up in a hotel overnight (at Amtrak's expense), and put on the next day's #30.

Posts: 2355 | From: Pleasanton, CA | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
G E HURN
Member # 6950

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for G E HURN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The sources were AMTRAK'S webite and amtrakdelays.com.
Posts: 3 | From: FLORIDA | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for smitty195     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What date did you book your trip? Since you are looking at the amtrakdelays.com website, you are only seeing three weeks of on-time-performance with the Empire Builder. Unfortunately during this time period, there have been unusual events that have delayed this train. There have been a few freight derailments causing extraordinary delays of the Empire Builder, as well as severe winter weather which has also caused severe delays. Normally, this does not happen. So just keep in mind that the three week snippet you are looking at with this train is very limited in it's scope of the true performance of this train.

Now if we were talking about the California Zephyr, that would be a different story. ALWAYS stay overnight in Chicago and NEVER rely on that train to get you ANYWHERE at a decent time.

Posts: 2355 | From: Pleasanton, CA | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wayne72145
Member # 4503

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for wayne72145     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In the nearly 2 dozen times I've been through Chicago going both east and west in the past five years I've never missed a connection. The closest I came was from the CZ to the LSL in the summer and they held the LSL for 20 minutes for us to get there. Never even came close to missing the Capitol Limited on the CZ or EB and going east to west its more a matter of killing time for the connection.
Posts: 139 | From: myrtle creek oregon | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doc Brown
Member # 4724

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doc Brown     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by smitty195:
What date did you book your trip? Since you are looking at the amtrakdelays.com website, you are only seeing three weeks of on-time-performance with the Empire Builder. Unfortunately during this time period, there have been unusual events that have delayed this train. There have been a few freight derailments causing extraordinary delays of the Empire Builder, as well as severe winter weather which has also caused severe delays. Normally, this does not happen. So just keep in mind that the three week snippet you are looking at with this train is very limited in it's scope of the true performance of this train.

Not to hi-jack the thread, but I've been wondering about this myself. We're taking a short trip to the Wisconsin Dells this Sun. Though I'm not overly concerned, the idea of sitting in the Dell's station for 5 hours of waiting on the way back doesn't sound too appealing.

Anyway, I won't be too concerned when I'm getting flushed down the toilet bowl at the Kalahari Resort water park. [Wink]

--------------------
Chuck

“Adventure is just bad planning.” - Roald Amundsen

Posts: 80 | From: Wisconsin | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TwinStarRocket
Member # 2142

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TwinStarRocket     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The EB was on-time or early into CHI the last 4 days. I suspect on some days on amtrakdelays.com a very early EB gets recorded as 23 hours late due to their software algorithm. It seldom rolls by my house late in St. Paul.

BTW, Garrison Kiellor just rode the EB Saturday from MSP to do his Prairie Home Companion radio show in Winona. There is a discussion over at trainorders about the possibility he is a railfan. His father was an RPO mail clerk who worked St.Paul-Jamestown, ND.

Posts: 1572 | From: St. Paul, MN | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Henry Kisor
Member # 4776

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Henry Kisor   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Keillor IS sympathetic to passenger trains but I don't know if we could call him a railfan -- he probably does not spent a whole lot of time thinking about trains, but when he does take a train, he enjoys it for the same reasons we do.

He did a nice blurb for my book.

Posts: 2236 | From: Evanston, Ill. and Ontonagon, Mich. | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Henry Kisor
Member # 4776

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Henry Kisor   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We shouldn't forget that the upper Midwest is having one of the worst winters in many years. I don't know exactly how much it has affected OT performance but it certainly has.
Posts: 2236 | From: Evanston, Ill. and Ontonagon, Mich. | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page