RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Quiz

Author Topic: Quiz
yukon11
Member # 2997

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for yukon11     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Are you in the mood for a little railroad trivia? Below are 25 questions pertaining to Amtrak and passenger railroads, of the past. Please try to answer the quesions "off the top of your head", without consulting the internet or any outside reference.

Each question is worth 4 points..perfect score = 100. In some cases, partial credit (2 points) is awarded for partial answers. Initially, don't scroll too far.Below the 25 questions are rows of asterisks. Below the astericks are the answers.

Let us know your score, and let me know if you think the quiz was 1) too hard 2) too easy 3) about right. Good luck!

Richard

1. The BNSF was created from a merger of several old railroads. Name one of these for 2 points, two for the full 4 point credit.

2. In 1999, BNSF merged with the Canadian National Railway. True or false?

3. The current President and CEO of Amtrak is ________?

4. What is the width of standard United States railroad track?

5. In 1972, after the inception of Amtrak, one of the new trains to come into existance, beside the Coast Starlight, was:
a) Texas Eagle
b) Montrealer/Washingtonian
c) Cardinal

6. Who was the first president of Amtrak (1971-1975):
a) Alan Boyd
b) Roger Lewis
c) George Warrington

7. Heading southwest on the old Santa Fe line, after going through Gallup, NM, you got to a Harvey House restaurant. The first one you got to, after Gallup, was in:
a) Flastaff, Az
b) Williams, Az
c) Winslow, Az

8. From 1947 to around 1967, the paint scheme for the "Empire Builder" was composed, except for a gold stripe, of 2 main colors. What were these colors?

9. What is the name of the woman on the famous logo for the Lackawanna Railroad?

10. The Lackawanna Railroad was known as the road to ___________?

11. Amtrak's "dinner-lite" breakfast menu featured an (microwave) egg omelet dish. What was the name of their egg omelet?

12. The "Overland Route" is associated with what railroad?
a) Central Pacific/Union Pacific
b) Great Northern
c) Atchison, Topeka, and Santa Fe.

13. The name of the Amtrak station in Kansas City, MO, is "Union Station". True or false?

14. The name of the Amtrak station in Seattle, WA is "Union Station". True or false?

15. Casey Jones, in 1900, was killed in which of the following states:
a) Ohio
b) Tennessee
c) Mississippi

16. Headed east, on the Empire Builder, what stop (town) do you get to after East Glacier Park?

17. Headed northeast, on the Crescent, what is the station stop (town) you get to right before you get to Greenville, South Carolina?

18. What is the name of Amtrak's female answering robot that you get when you call the Amtrak "800" number?

19. Amtrak's "Heartland Flyer" goes from Oklahoma City to:
a) Austin
b) Fort Worth
c) El Paso

20. What animal mascot is on the logo for the Canadian Pacific RR?

21. What brand of ice cream is now served on Amtrak?

22. What person adorns the old logo for the Boston and Maine Railroad?
a) a Fur Trapper
b) a Minute Man
c) a Lumberjack

23. What was the name of the sleeping kitten mascot for the old Chesapeake and Ohio Railroad?

24. "The Broadway Limited", from New York to Chicago, was named after "Broadway" in Manhatten. True or false?

25. Amtrak's USA Rail Pass, for international visitors, offers a pass for 15 days and for ____ days (?).

************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************ ************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************ **********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
ANSWERS

1. Possible answers (score 2 for one answer, 4 for two answers):
Atchison, Topeka, and Santa Fe, Great Northern, Chicago, Burlington, & Quincy RR, Saint Louis-San Francisco RR, Northern Pacific RR, Burlington Northern, Santa Fe.

2. True

3. Score 4 points for "Alexander Kummant". 2 points if you just said "Kummant".

4. 4 ft 8.5 inches. Full 4 point credit if you said "4 ft 8 inches". No credit for any other answer.

5. b) Montrealer/Washingtonian

6. b) Roger Lewis

7. c) Winslow, Az

8. Omaha Orange and Pullman Green. Full 4 point credit if you just said "orange and green".

9. Phoebe Snow. Give yourself 2 points if you just said "Snow".

10. The road to Anthracite.

11. Bob Evans Scramble,

12. a) Central Pacific/Union Pacific

13. True

14. False. Seattle stn is the "King Steet Station"

15. c) Mississippi

16. Browning, Mt.

17. Clemson, South Carolina

18. Julie

19. b) Fort Worth

20. a beaver

21. Haagen Dazs

22. b) a Minute Man

23. Chessie

24. False. The Broadway Limited was named after the four-track right of way along a portion of their route.

25. 30 days

Posts: 1909 | From: Santa Rosa | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by yukon11:
Are you in the mood for a little railroad trivia? Below are 25 questions pertaining to Amtrak and passenger railroads, of the past. Please try to answer the quesions "off the top of your head", without consulting the internet or any outside reference.

Each question is worth 4 points..perfect score = 100. In some cases, partial credit (2 points) is awarded for partial answers. Initially, don't scroll too far.Below the 25 questions are rows of asterisks. Below the astericks are the answers.

Let us know your score, and let me know if you think the quiz was 1) too hard 2) too easy 3) about right. Good luck!

Richard

1. The BNSF was created from a merger of several old railroads. Name one of these for 2 points, two for the full 4 point credit.

3. The current President and CEO of Amtrak is ________?

5. In 1972, after the inception of Amtrak, one of the new trains to come into existance, beside the Coast Starlight, was:
a) Texas Eagle
c) Cardinal

a) Alan Boyd
b) Roger Lewis
c) George Warrington

7. Heading southwest on the old Santa Fe line, after going through Gallup, NM, you got to a Harvey House restaurant. The first one you got to, after Gallup, was in:
a) Flastaff, Az
b) Williams, Az
c) Winslow, Az

8. From 1947 to around 1967, the paint scheme for the "Empire Builder" was composed, except for a gold stripe, of 2 main colors. What were these colors?

9. What is the name of the woman on the famous logo for the Lackawanna Railroad?

11. Amtrak's "dinner-lite" breakfast menu featured an (microwave) egg omelet dish. What was the name of their egg omelet?

b) Great Northern

13. The name of the Amtrak station in Kansas City, MO, is "Union Station". True or false?

14. The name of the Amtrak station in Seattle, WA is "Union Station". True or false?

a) Ohio
b) Tennessee
c) Mississippi

16. Headed east, on the Empire Builder, what stop (town) do you get to after East Glacier Park?

17. Headed northeast, on the Crescent, what is the station stop (town) you get to right before you get to Greenville, South Carolina?

18. What is the name of Amtrak's female answering robot that you get when you call the Amtrak "800" number?

a) Austin
b) Fort Worth
c) El Paso

a) a Fur Trapper
b) a Minute Man
c) a Lumberjack

23. What was the name of the sleeping kitten mascot for the old Chesapeake and Ohio Railroad?

24. "The Broadway Limited", from New York to Chicago, was named after "Broadway" in Manhatten. True or false?

25. Amtrak's USA Rail Pass, for international visitors, offers a pass for 15 days and for ____ days (?).

OK....here I go.....and I've deleted the answers without looking....completely off the cuff...

1) AT&SF - Atchison, Topeka, and Santa Fe and the Burlington Northern which was itself created by the merger of Northern Pacific, Great Northern, and the Chicago, Burlington, and Quincey.

2)False......they wanted to but the STB turned them down.....partly because of the UP meltdown and partly because of the trouble CSX and NS were having in digesting Conrail.

3)Alexander Kummant

4) 4'8" and perhaps a fraction of an inch. Rumor has it this is based on the width between the wheels of Roman Chariots. Of course if you hail from Chama, NM, the standard gauge is widely regarded as 36 inches.

5)Let's say Cardinal because this was a new name applied to an old route.....formerly the George Washington and James Whitcomb Riley.

6) Allan Boyd I think.

7) La Posada in Winslow, AZ.

8) Orange and Pullman Green.

9) Phoebe Snow.

10)The road to the Poconos? The road of Anthracite? Remember, I'm trying to do this entirely on what I think I know.

11) Southwestern? Bob Evans Breakfast Scrambler?

12) a: CP and UP

13) True. Amtrak returned to Kansas City Union Station in about 2002.

14) False. Seattle is King Street Station.

15) c: Just outside Canton, Mississippi.

16) I think Browning which is the off-season stop for the EB. Next is Cut Bank I think.

17)Spartanburg, SC. I boarded here for my first ride on the SOUTHERN Crescent in 1976.

18) Julie.

19) b: Ft. Worth.

20) Beaver.

21) Ben & Jerry's?????

22) Minute Man

23) Chessie. I have a pet cat named Chessie because she looks like.....well...Chessie.

24) False.....it was named for the Broad....often four tracks wide.....mainline of the Pennsylvania Railroad.

25) 30 days.

OK....I'm getting up from my office and going down the hall to speak at a meeting. I'll have to score my answers later. This was fun and I think I may have 18-22 correct. I hope so.

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TwinStarRocket
Member # 2142

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TwinStarRocket     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My score was 52. #16 is open to interpretation. The correct answer is a seasonal stop, only open in the winter when East Glacier is closed as a stop. So sometimes the next eastbound "stop" after East Glacier is Cut Bank, but as a "town" it works.
Posts: 1572 | From: St. Paul, MN | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, my knowledge does not include anything about the actual machinery and not much on train history, so I don't know how I'll do on the quiz, but I'll try. Mostly, I'll be guessing. I've copied the questions and will put my answers in caps; anyone else taking this quiz should skip my post until after you take it!!

BURLINGTON NORTHERN and (ATCHISON, TOPEKA &) SANTA FE

FALSE

3. The current President and CEO of Amtrak is ________? ALEXANDER KUMMANT (sp?)

4. What is the width of standard United States railroad track? NO IDEA, BUT I'LL GUESS 5 FEET, based on the distance from Queen Victori's nose to her toes. . . no, just kidding

a) Texas Eagle
c) Cardinal
WELL, I KNOW IT WASN'T THE TEXAS EAGLE. I'll guess B, MONTREALER/WASHINGTONIAN, because I don't think anyone making up a test would make that up as a wrong answer choice.

a) Alan Boyd
b) Roger Lewis
c) George Warrington
WELL, I KNOW IT WASN'T C, so I'll just do a 50-50 and guess A, ALAN BOYD

a) Flastaff, Az
b) Williams, Az
c) Winslow, Az

C, WINSLOW, is my guess. I know Winslow is before the others, and I'm assuming most of the stops had a Harvey House.

BLUE and SILVER (just guessing, just guessing)

MARY JAMESON?

NIAGARA FALLS?

BOB JONES BREAKFAST SCRAMBLE?

b) Great Northern

A, CENTRAL PACIFIC, UP

TRUE

FALSE; it's King Street Station (and in sore need of refurbishment)

a) Ohio
b) Tennessee
c) Mississippi

A, OHIO?

CUT BANK?

SPARTANBURG

JULIE

a) Austin
b) Fort Worth
c) El Paso

B, FORT WORTH

A WOLF

HAAGEN DAAZ

a) a Fur Trapper
b) a Minute Man
c) a Lumberjack

C, A LUMBERJACK? (if so, he's OK)

FRISKY?

FALSE, because if it were true, you woulnd't ask
Note (since this is a test I thought I'd mention it: it's ManhattAn)

30 DAYS?

Great fun!

Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ocala Mike
Member # 4657

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ocala Mike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I got a 64, but I'm not a "foamer," so I thought the quiz was about the right degree of difficulty.

--------------------
Ocala Mike

Posts: 1530 | From: Ocala, FL | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MetSox
Member # 6035

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MetSox   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
72. One other possible answer for #1: Spokane, Portland & Seattle was part of the original BN merger. I would have gotten #10 but I was confused, wasn't Lackawanna the road OF Anthracite? as far as I know, Anthracite is a type of coal, not a place.

I think I'll submit my own trivia quiz someday. In the meantime does anybody know the answer to this one?

What's a more heinous crime?
a)Photgraphing trains
b)Going to the bathroom without your seat check
c)Sneezing in the Quiet Car

Posts: 49 | From: Brookline, MA | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Represent answers are "cold'; no open book:

quote:

Burlington Northern, Atchison Topeka and Santa Fe

3. The current President and CEO of Amtrak is Alexander Kummant

4'8.5"

a) Texas Eagle
c) Cardinal

a) Alan Boyd
b) Roger Lewis
c) George Warrington

a) Flastaff, Az
b) Williams, Az
c) Winslow, Az

A modeler could give the exact title of the colors, but Orange and Green will have to suffice from me

Phoebe Snow

10. The Lackawanna Railroad was known as the road to of Anthracite

PASS

b) Great Northern

a) Ohio
b) Tennessee
c) Mississippi

PASS (without reviewing a TT)

Toccoa,GA

Julie

a) Austin
b) Fort Worth
c) El Paso

Beaver

Whoever will offer a marketing arrangement...PASS

a) a Fur Trapper
b) a Minute Man
c) a Lumberjack

Chessie

25. Amtrak's USA Rail Pass, for international visitors, offers a pass for 15 days and for 30 days (?).

Posts: 9977 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good idea, Yukon -- since you gave us all the answers, I didn't bother to take the quiz, but I believe I knew most of the answers...
Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To perfect my earlier answer to Q #8:

Omaha Orange and Pullman Green

http://www.gngoat.org/gn_356c.jpg

Posts: 9977 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK......I am such a train geek.

I got an 84......76 if you disallow the two questions where I gave two answers and only one was correct.

The two were - Road to the Poconos or Road of Anthracite AND Southwestern, Bob Evans Scrambler.

I thought the quiz was fun......any harder and I'd be a whiner though.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yukon11
Member # 2997

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for yukon11     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks, everyone, for your feedback.

It appears I made an error with question 2..and that the Canadian National and BNSF were rumored to merge, but did not. My error. So, give yourself 4 points for either a true or false answer.

Regarding question #17, my timetable says the Crescent gets into Clemson, right before Greenville, So. Carolina. Is Clemson only a flag stop? If so, then Tocccoa, Ga would be the correct answer.

I think the quiz ranged from a "little difficult" to "about right". I'll do another one, down the line, and try to make it a tad easier.

Richard

Posts: 1909 | From: Santa Rosa | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
4021North
Member # 4081

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for 4021North     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I scored a 70, but I don't think you should make it any easier. Rather, we need to "study" some more.
Posts: 144 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Henry Kisor
Member # 4776

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Henry Kisor   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Never mind what I scored. It embarrasses me.

But I'm printing out the questions and taking it with me on my next trip on the Empire Builder. Maybe it'll help me win a bottle in the wine-and-cheese party quiz session.

Posts: 2236 | From: Evanston, Ill. and Ontonagon, Mich. | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
amtraxmaniac
Member # 2251

Icon 1 posted      Profile for amtraxmaniac     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think Cut Bank should receive partial credit for the reason already sited.

I know feel like the most PATHETIC foamer on this site scoring in at a lousy 48 points

Posts: 387 | From: Bakersfield, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
I've boarded the Amtrak Crescent at Clemson, SC and believe it is a stop.....not a mere flagstop.

I incorrectly answered that one because I misread the question. I gave you the station beyond Greenville.......not the one before.

Don't dumb down your quiz......allow us to raise the level of our game!

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

amtraxmaniac
Member # 2251

Icon 1 posted      Profile for amtraxmaniac     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm surrendering my credentials as a train geek. )..:

--------------------
Patrick

Posts: 387 | From: Bakersfield, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page