RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Sleeper Baggage question

Author Topic: Sleeper Baggage question
Amtrak Rookie
Member # 4251

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Amtrak Rookie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thinking about taking either the Capitol Limited or LSL and wondered how they handle baggage if in a sleeper but you get off the train at a location which does not have baggage handling.
Could anyone help me?
Thanks

Posts: 13 | From: Ohio | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If your destination does not have checked baggage, THEY will not handle your luggage. YOU will handle your luggage by carrying everything you're taking onboard with you.

The Capitol, being a superliner equipped train, will have a large baggage storage area with shelves just off the entry area. This is real handy for the big piece or two that you really won't need to get to during the trip. Things would be somewhat tighter on the single level Lake Shore.

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Judy McFarland
Member # 4435

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Judy McFarland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You cannot check bags to a location that does not have an active station. If you destination does not have baggage handling, you will have to take your bags on board with you. If you're in a roomette on the LSL, you will have to take your bags into your room with you. If you are alone, you can put the bag(s) on the upper bunk, but if there are 2 of you, only what fits in the little cubby hole in the wall will be out of your way. There is no luggage storage rack on those cars as in the superliner 2-level sleepers.

--------------------
My new "default" station (EKH) has no baggage service or QuikTrak machine, but the parking is free! And the NY Central RR Museum is just across the tracks (but not open at Amtrak train times. . ..)

Posts: 337 | From: Goshen, IN | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amtrak822
Member # 6789

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Amtrak822   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you choose to ride the Lake Shore Limited, I would suggest getting a bedroom instead of a roomette. There is much more storage space in a bedroom than in a roomette.
Posts: 6 | From: Northern Virginia | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Smith
Member # 447

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Smith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I haven't posted this in a while.

I use a 25 inch Samsonite roll-on that fits nicely on the step to the upper bunk in your typical Superliner roomette. Here's a picture:

-

Posts: 1418 | From: Houston, Republic of Texas | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Whatever happened to my first rule of travel?

"If you can't carry it, don't bring it".

I have a "down and dirty two night out and back' trip to Greenwich CT coming up this month. It will be a "fly to HPN and rent" - and I have no intention of checking anything.

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just to clarify: Take a suitcase of no bigger than 25 inches--I think mine may be a little less than that, but I'm not sure. Also take an overnight bag with your toiletries & medical necessities, nightgarb only if you get a sleeper, change of undies, maybe a next-day shirt or blouse, cellphone charger (if you have a little box at the end of the plug, attach a small extension cord), book, puzzles, a CD player & CDs if you bring those (and extra batteries), a pair of warm socks (in case it's cold), and a rolled-up light sweatshirt-type jacket to wear on the train if it's chilly (unless you wear this as your outer garment on boarding; depends on time of year). Pack your suitcase as lightly as possible.

If you are going coach, you may want to bring some food, perhaps in a separate little bag if your overnight bag is full; you also may want to bring a small travel pillow (though they will give you another on the train). However, if you can afford a sleeperette (the cheaper sleeper), get one. Contrary to advice above, I would not get a full sleeper (the more expensive one) unless you are 2 people, or wealthy.

If you take the Capital Ltd, you will be on a Superliner, the double-decker-style train. When you board, either in coach or a sleeper, there is shelving on the lower level right near the door where you can leave your suitcase before going upstairs. (There are also some coach seats and sleepers downstairs, but I'd avoid those unless you have trouble navigating stairs; it's much less scenic down there.) If you go coach, you would take your overnight bag (and possible little food bag and pillow) upstairs with you to your seat and keep the overnight bag near your feet. If you have a sleeper(ette), take your overnight bag upstairs to it, where there are also 2 hangers to hang a coat or jacket and your clothing when you remove it at night.

If you take the LAkeshore Ltd, you will be on a Viewliner (one level) train, as are all the trains that go into New York City. In that case, if you go coach, put your suitcase in the space near the back or front of the coach car or on the overhead rack (make sure you can lift it, or you will have to get a conductor to help you, which they usually will for frail females. . . .). If you get a sleeper(ette), take your suitcase as well as your overnight bag into it and store it on the "step" (it's like a little shelf) as shown. There's a seatbelt-like strap you can use to "buckle" the suitcase in. Depending on size, you can keep your overnight bag on top of your suitcase or on the commode when you are not using it, putting it on the seat or bed when you are. Again, there are 2 hangers. There is also a little shelf above the drop down sink, where you can put some of your toiletries.

Although you should be able to handle your luggage yourself, sleeping car attendants will often help you get it on or off the train steps, esp if you are frail and/or female, as will many coach attendants.

Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for smitty195     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How did you insert a picture into your post? I haven't figured out how to do this without getting an error message.
Posts: 2355 | From: Pleasanton, CA | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Smith
Member # 447

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Smith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Smitty, I uploaded the picture to a page I created on photobucket {it's free}, and copied and pasted the image into my post.

Photobucket automatically puts the image tags around the url for the picture. Image tags are : [ img] put at the front {without the space} and [ /img] put at the back of the url {without the space}.

You can right-click the image and see the location of the url and the size for that image under "properties".

Posts: 1418 | From: Houston, Republic of Texas | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for smitty195     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks, Mike. I'm a Mac guy, and that kinda sounds like a Windows thing so I don't really get it. Also, I don't have a right-click. [Smile]
Posts: 2355 | From: Pleasanton, CA | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
train lady
Member # 3920

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for train lady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The sleeping car attendents have always taken our baggage (and anyone else who wants ) off for us. They come around and ask if you would like them to do so then get it and carry it down.
Posts: 1577 | From: virginia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CHATTER
Member # 1185

Rate Member
Icon 3 posted      Profile for CHATTER     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I concur with Mr. Norman on nearly every issue--except this one. While I do not bring an excessive amount of "stuff" by any measure of the word, I am a checker of baggage on at least some trips.
Posts: 255 | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HillsideStation
Member # 6386

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for HillsideStation     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I read with (usual) interest Mr Norman's axiomatic baggage premise: If you can't carry it, don't take it. I HAD tried without success to limit my bride to one carry on bag for the thirty plus years we flew as a benefit of my employment. The ONE time I was successful, was a trip to the UK that we took our bicycles to get around once we arrived at our destinations on BritRail Passes. Then and only then with the bicycle limiting her baggage was I successful. Never again since. However I applaud Mr. Norman's ability to follow his credo.
Best regards,
Rodger

Posts: 112 | From: Merrimac, MA | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, let's see how I do ORD-HPN/UA5831/15MAR; I've now bought 3oz jugs of shaving cream, toothpaste, and deodorant. I already had the proper size Ziploc bags.

Last time I went overseas, I had carry on bags. Last time I checked baggage was going to a cruise; I've never checked anything on Amtrak or for that matter a predecessor railroad.

In short, it is just one less thing to worry about when traveling.

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
A few weeks ago at SFO, I went through security at the International Terminal with my ziplock baggie full of my newly purchased 3 ounce (or less) containers of contact lens solution, saline solution, toothpaste, deodorant, etc......however, I forgot to take the ziplock baggie out of my bag and put it into the bin like you're supposed to do. Nobody caught it (or cared)---it just sailed right on through.
train lady
Member # 3920

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for train lady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have always checked bags through on the train for many years.(no, I am not going to say how many so don't ask). They have gone from DC to LA,to SF to Den, to Seattle all of which had to be transferred at chicago and never once had we lost one or had to wait for it or had it damaged or broken into. Ditto bags to Charleston and Birmingham. One year we went from DC to chicago, San Antonio, LA and SF. when we arrived in oakland thee were our bags waiting for us. So I feel very comfortable about checking bags
Posts: 1577 | From: virginia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gregbkc
Member # 3726

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for gregbkc     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
smitty195, You can right click using a Mac by holding down the control key and clicking the mouse. I also use a Mac and wouldn't have it any other way.
Posts: 34 | From: Kansas City, MO | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Henry Kisor
Member # 4776

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Henry Kisor   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Smitty195, the newer Mac mice (which will retrofit most G3 and up Macs) come with right-click capability. No need to use control keys with those. (To assure the powers that be that this is a relevant post, I use a Mac to post-process the photographs of Amtrak trains I take, and it works very well at that.)
Posts: 2236 | From: Evanston, Ill. and Ontonagon, Mich. | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amtrak207
Member # 1307

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted      Profile for Amtrak207     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You are all forgetting the Viewliner Cubbyhole. Up the stairs to the second bunk in a Viewliner roomette, to your left just below the ceiling is an open space. As long as you remember to take everything with you, this space is ideal for luggage storage.
Posts: 391 | From: Schenectady | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page