RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » The governor's cheap train ticket

Author Topic: The governor's cheap train ticket
royaltrain
Member # 622

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for royaltrain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know this may be silly, but I couldn't help noting today's newspaper reports on Gov. Spitzer's "companion", who allegedly charges around $5000 an hour for her services (even lawyers don't charge that much), was provided with a ticket on the 5:39 pm Regional from NYC to Washington. He pays $5000 an hour and he can't provide a first-class ride on on the 6:00 pm Acela? What a cheapskate.
Posts: 524 | From: Toronto Ont. Canada | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Possibly, Gov "for the moment" Spitzer, did not wish to have too much attention drawn to the "performer'. Otherwise, agree with Mr. Royal.

But no matter how one wishes to spin it, he's finished. He hasn't a friend anywhere within the political landscape - even within his own party.

Today I learn that the constitutionally provided successor, Lt. Governor Patterson, is blind. Somehow, I cannot imagine his administration being more than a "caretaker'; somehow i think New York needs more than that.

Possibly, someone can find something on Mr. Patterson's position on intercity passenger rail that would be appropriate for discussion here. Otherwise, back to Empire State politics as usual.

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
train lady
Member # 3920

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for train lady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe the Acela was sold out or she didn't want to ride it for a variety of reasons. My own opinion of these cases is that as long as an elected official does the job he /she was elected to do what he/she does in his/her personal life is no one's business. People are just too envolved with sticking their noses in everyone else's business that it is getting to be an epidemic.
Posts: 1577 | From: virginia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CoastStarlight99
Member # 2734

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for CoastStarlight99   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Or, perhaps he was afraid how many Illegals were driving that he could not un-constitutionally give Drivers Licenses as he attempted to do so in 2007.
Posts: 1082 | From: Los Angeles, CA. USA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Henry Kisor
Member # 4776

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Henry Kisor   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Spitzer is toast. Boys will be boys, but when one builds a reputation as a Mr. Clean crime fighter that includes bringing down high-priced call girl rings, it's the height of hypocrisy to dip one's, uh, toe in those waters.
Posts: 2236 | From: Evanston, Ill. and Ontonagon, Mich. | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, so long as this topic seems to be growing legs of its own, lest we forget, removal of a public official from office is simply a matter of votes - and some kind of "event".

Gov. 'for a few more moments" Spitzer is without friends; no one in the New York business community will rally to his support (even if some of them have quietly told "their ladies" to "lay low for a while"), even the "pols that be" in his own party are same. He had a 35% approval rating going into this scandal - and he had only been in office nary more than a year.

Bill, on the other hand, served out his term - the "other guys" never had the votes to remove him - and even after Monica became a household name, he still had 50% approval.

Whether this strategy will prove correct or otherwise, Hillary's handlers have clearly made the choice her candidacy's interests are served by remaining "Mrs. Clinton", and not becoming "Ms. Rodham". I guess the term "divorce of convenience" is just as applicable as "marriage...".

But the ultimate test would have been if during 2K, there was an overwhelming groundswell to repeal the 22nd Amendment (Presidential two term limit), and as a result Bill sought a third term. Then "we the people" would have decided whether or not we wished to forgive him and move on.

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Railroad Bob
Member # 3508

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Railroad Bob     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by train lady:
My own opinion of these cases is that as long as an elected official does the job he /she was elected to do what he/she does in his/her personal life is no one's business. People are just too envolved with sticking their noses in everyone else's business that it is getting to be an epidemic.

Maybe so, unless that "personal life" involved using any public funds for transportation, hotels, or high-end wining and dining of these ladies. So far it looks like he used his personal funds for the gentleman's club "fees" but the incidental charges look like they may have come from other accounts. It'll all be fleshed out on cable news...
Posts: 588 | From: East San Diego County, CA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRCHINA
Member # 1514

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRCHINA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It has been reported that his actions (some if not all) were a felony. If a felony was committed it is no longer 'personal' and he should resign.
Posts: 467 | From: Prescott, AZ USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for smitty195     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
An elected government official as powerful as the Governor of New York can not innocently do these types of things, and then have people say it's "personal" and "we don't care what goes on in his bedroom". At least, not when it's something of this caliber.

Committing multiple FELONIES over a several year period opens him up for bribery and blackmail. I do not want my public officials involved in this type of thing.

I hope it was just their "personal lives" when Republicans were involved in similar things as well. (IMHO, it was not portrayed that way AT ALL by the Democrat-controlled mainstream media).

Posts: 2355 | From: Pleasanton, CA | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
amtraxmaniac
Member # 2251

Icon 1 posted      Profile for amtraxmaniac     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If he had simply cheated on his wife with some Jane Blow (pun inteneded), yes it is a personal matter. But he committed a felony by soliciting a prostitute. Joe Shmoe who works at Burger Hut would be behind bars already. He is paid to uphold the laws of the state, yet he broke those laws.
Posts: 387 | From: Bakersfield, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Well, look who has come out:

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/03/13/nyregion/12cnd-kristen.html

But judging from the lead editorial in Today's New York Times, as well as several op-ed pieces in the Wall Street Journal (subscription site), it does not appear that Eliot has too many friends much of anywhere.

smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for smitty195     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Looks like Mr. Spitzer was into young girls. Glad he got caught and has resigned. Good riddance!
Posts: 2355 | From: Pleasanton, CA | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr williams
Member # 1928

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mr williams     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Over the years various British politicians have been caught "with their trousers down" so to speak. The most famous was probably early in the 1960's at the height of the Cold War when our Secretary of State for Defence was involved with a call-girl whose boyfriend was a KGB agent!!

Interestingly, he had to resign not for what he had done but because he lied to Parliament about it. Although it sounds quaint and essentially British, even now getting caught telling a lie in the Lower House is one of the gravest offences an MP (Congressman) can commit.

ps: I was once asked if I had ever paid for s/e/x to which I replied "only emotionally"!!

Posts: 395 | From: england | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rresor
Member # 128

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for rresor     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, recall that a previous President of the United States was impeached (but not convicted, unfortunately) NOT for having *** with "that woman" but for lying about it under oath.

That having been said, I really do resent some of the statements made here about it being "nobody's business" whether Mr. Spitzer patronizes prostitutes. Ladies and gentlemen, for the record, I don't know anyone who patronizes prostitutes. I also don't have any friends who are convicted felons, either. What kind of a world do some people think we live in?

Posts: 614 | From: Merchantville, NJ. USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Henry Kisor
Member # 4776

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Henry Kisor   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This forum really should stick to Amtrak matters. I am appalled at how far afield this thread has gone. Don't you realize how many Amtrak trips one could take for $5,500?

In sleepers, too.

:-)

Posts: 2236 | From: Evanston, Ill. and Ontonagon, Mich. | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The number one thing that interested me about the Spitzer story was that the prostitute took Amtrak down to DC. I made jokes about it to friends who know I like trains, i.e., I hope this doesn't put a dent in Amtrak's revenues.

But I never heard it was a Regional she took! I'm amazed.

Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Reminds of the old Jimmy Buffett/Jerry Jeff walker song:

"She's a railroad lady
Just a little bit shady
Spending her life on the trains
Once a pullman car traveler
Now the brakeman won't have 'er
She's tryin', just tryin' to get home again....."

Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Oh well, got to get this in before this topic gets routed off to cyberheaven.

Now just who could have New York Times columnist David Brooks have had in mind when he prepared this work?

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/03/14/opinion/14brooks.html?hp

4021North
Member # 4081

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for 4021North     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
While there are things in the article that I don't agree with -- particularly the implication that emphasis on achievement leads to social failure -- it is well written and has insights into how some leaders could go astray.
Posts: 144 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Mr. 4021, I believe that it should again be noted the David Brooks piece is OPINION.

It should be noted that Mr. Brooks is probably the most "conservative' columnist in The Times stable. That The Times carries his work (I don't know to what extent it is syndicated - even amongst TimesCo owned papers) is probably done to balance the rest of the flaming liberals/flaming feminists elsewhere in the barn.

Henry Kisor
Member # 4776

Mr. Norman, Mr. Norman! I am a liberal, and no part of me is aflame, I'll have you know. I also wear flameproof pajamas.

But the Times has TWO antediluvian conservative columnists: Besides Mr. Brooks, there is also William Kristol.

Whether either of them rides Amtrak, I have no idea. (Just keeping this thread on track.)

smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
Just to clarify, I'm fairly certain that Brooks and Kristol are both Republicans. I don't think they are conservative. There is a growing distinction between those two terms (for example, Senator McCain is a Republican, but he is not conservative). Because of the extreme liberal leaning of the NY Times, I do not care for their daily publication. I prefer my information to come from sources without an outwardly bias in any certain direction, as I prefer sticking to the facts. It is getting more and more difficult as time passes for people to get true "news", instead of elongated and disguised op-ed pieces. It's truly disappointing as we continue dividing ourselves with so many obstacles in front of us.
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Mr. Kisor, I just plain forgot Mr. Kristol; now what will prove interesting is which one of them will go when Tom Friedman returns (he's on "book leave').

Now there is a centrist columnist with whom Mr. Smith may find some common ground; Mr. Friedman is very concerned about how the world is expending depletable (non-renewable, whatever) energy resources. This would mean that he has to favor mass transportation wherever reasonable and practical.

Now I respect your preference for other news media, Mr. Smith, and in all likelihood if I grew up away from New York and its cultural influences, I too would have become more comfortable with another paper.

But when every so often, grade school homeroom topics included "how to read The New York Times'....well I guess you could say the indoctrination started early.

sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mr Williams, I remember the famous "Profumo" scandal. I was just a kid, of course, but the name caught my attention.
Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TruckTrains
Member # 6938

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TruckTrains   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
lol @ RRRICH

--------------------
Train Horns&
Air Horns

Posts: 24 | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr williams
Member # 1928

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mr williams     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sojourner, it was indeed John Profumo I was referring to.

Unlike so many other politicians who try and weasel their way out of things he resigned, took his punishment like a man and devoted the rest of his life (more than forty years) to doing lowly paid charity work among down and outs.

He was publicly "rehabillitated" by Tony Blair with a dinner at 10 Downing St just before he died a few years ago and the obituaries were far more positive than negative.

Posts: 395 | From: england | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
So much for Mr. Kristol and the Times:

The news release:

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/27/business/media/27kristol.html

The final column:

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/26/opinion/26kristol.html

A little "opinion" (uh not exactly sanctioned by The Times):

http://spectator.org/blog/2009/01/26/kristol-out-ny-times-loss

smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
The NYT article calls Krisol a "conservative columnist". If he's conservative, then the Coast Starlight is the world's best high speed rail passenger train.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page