RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » will i get to columbus by train any time soon?

Author Topic: will i get to columbus by train any time soon?
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
With all these neat studies going on, I am thinking of waiting until there is a TRAIN to get me to Columbus. Should I hold my breath?

This is at the Amtrak website/news releases section:

Ohio Joins Several Other States in Wanting New Service to be Studied
COLUMBUS and CHICAGO - Saying his administration is "committed to providing Ohio's urban areas with the tools they need to create jobs and attract investments to make their communities vibrant centers of commerce," Ohio Governor Ted Strickland has written a letter to Amtrak President & CEO Alex Kummant asking the nation's passenger rail corporation to identify what is needed to initiate rail passenger service in the "3-C" (Cleveland-Columbus-Dayton-Cincinnati) corridor.

Governor Strickland asked that the analysis be done in two parts: Cleveland to Columbus and Columbus to Cincinnati (via Springfield and Dayton). The Governor called the 3-C the "backbone of the Ohio Hub, the state's long-term vision for passenger rail in Ohio."

The work will be performed by Amtrak and funded by the state of Ohio. Amtrak will also work with the major freight railroads, which own the track, to determine the capital needs for rail improvements to the corridor that would not only enable passenger service, but increase capacity for greater freight movement.

"State-supported routes are the fastest growing part of our business," said Kummant. "We have carried out several studies in the Midwest and elsewhere in the last few years, with Illinois doubling the size of its state rail program since 2006 and California continuing to rack-up growth that has contributed to five straight years of record Amtrak ridership."

"This is a significant step forward in Ohio's efforts to create new and better transportation options for Ohioans. Moving people and freight by rail is becoming even more important with ever-rising fuel costs and the impact on everything from people's personal budgets to doing business in Ohio," says Ohio Rail Development Commission Executive Director Matt Dietrich.

"We've already had preliminary discussions with Amtrak and look forward to doing this analysis of the 3-C Corridor."

Also encouraged at the news is All Aboard Ohio President Bill Hutchison, lauding the governor for "taking this first step and showing leadership in recognizing the potential of rail development in Ohio. Many other states have already seen remarkable benefits from the implementation of passenger rail services with Amtrak from Maine all the way to California."

"We are also pleased that the governor wants to include the freight rail owners and operators in these discussions with Amtrak." says Hutchison. "Timely, reliable, and successful passenger rail service depends on the cooperation of all parties involved."

Cleveland is currently served by two daily Amtrak trains, the Lake Shore Limited and the Capitol Limited, operating between Chicago and the East Coast, while Cincinnati is served three days weekly in each direction by the Cardinal between Chicago and New York City, via Indianapolis and Washington.

Dayton and Columbus have not been served by Amtrak trains since the 1979 discontinuance of the National Limited. The 3-C corridor was never served by Amtrak and lost its passenger trains before Amtrak service began in 1971.

The recently completed Ohio Hub Plan and two related economic impact studies will give this Amtrak study a major leg up, since the plan shows the 3-C Corridor can generate both significant ridership and commercial development around train stations.

"This is a good way to get passenger trains up and running as we continue to pursue the long-term vision for passenger and freight rail in the state," says Dietrich.

Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ms. Sojourner, if Columbus remains open on your "Capitols tour", best start thinking 'arf-arf" or auto rental for the 200 mile journey from PGH.
Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
George Harris
Member # 2077

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for George Harris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
These Ohio rail studies have been around for years. Unless and until you see serious money being appropriated for equipment and track upgrades there is no point in even looking for the countdown clock. If there is serious money appropriated, look for a period of 2 to 5 years if the concept is 79 mph or less and longer if they intend to run faster, 10 plus being a likely number.

If you plan to travel any sooner, see Mr. Norman's post.

Posts: 2808 | From: Olive Branch MS | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ham Radio
Member # 6587

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ham Radio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's either "catch-out" on a freight train or find alternative transportation to Columbus.

--------------------
Ham Radio
Orange County, California

Posts: 46 | From: Orange County, CA | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
amtraksupporter
Member # 5619

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for amtraksupporter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Note related thread:

"The National Limited, National Passenger Rail Planning, and NARP"

http://www.railforum.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi/topic/11/5108.html#000006

Posts: 82 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Judy McFarland
Member # 4435

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Judy McFarland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Columbus, Wisconsin is the Amtrak stop for Wisconsin's capitol, Madison. Best I can do for now. . . .

(Yes, I know you're talking about Columbus, OH but I couldn't resist.)

--------------------
My new "default" station (EKH) has no baggage service or QuikTrak machine, but the parking is free! And the NY Central RR Museum is just across the tracks (but not open at Amtrak train times. . ..)

Posts: 337 | From: Goshen, IN | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmmm -- with present train times in the "middle of the night" in both Cincinnati and in Cleveland, you could run several trains per day between CIN and CLE, which would serve Columbus & Dayton at reasonable times, and maybe even a couple of them might connect with either the Cardinal, the Lake Shore, or the Capitol Ltd.
Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, that would be sensible. They should stop in Akron too. And best of all would be a round robin of sorts, taking in Toledo.

I did not realize Columbus WI was the stop for Madison, but I do plan to go to Madison. Probably sooner than I go to Columbus OH! The bus to Madison sounds OK (it's not Greyhound).

Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is there a connecting bus from Columbus, WI to Madison?

If not, Badger Coaches has several trips a day from downtown Milwaukee to Madison. I don't know if Badger has joined Greyhound over at the newly renovated Amtrak station (Badger used to have their own terminal about 5 blocks from Amtrak). Badger also used to operate service to Madison directly from the Milwaukee Airport.

I used Badger a number of times between 2000 and 2003 when I was working during the summer with the iconic Madison Scouts Drum and Bugle Corps and found Badger's service to be superior to anything I've ever experienced from Greyhound or their affiliates.

And Madison, WI........what a nice, clean, accessible city. It's one of my favorite state capitols. One of my friends from my brief affiliation with the Madison Scouts is a career driver for the Madison transit system as well. Just plain good people in Madison.

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page