RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Here we go again...Amtrak train derails in S.C.

Author Topic: Here we go again...Amtrak train derails in S.C.
vthokie
Member # 1456

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for vthokie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.msnbc.com/news/751975.asp?0cm=c31

COOSAWHATCHIE, S.C., May 14 — At least 10 cars of an Amtrak train traveling from New York to Miami derailed early Tuesday after the passenger train struck a logging truck in South Carolina, authorities said. There were reports of injuries.

Posts: 56 | From: Hawley, PA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bill
Member # 1543

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for bill     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That oughtta do it.. expect major service cutbacks to begin in accomodating the shrinking long distance equipment pool. Amtrak spokespersons have been hinting at it as being inevitable in press releases all week.
Posts: 5 | From: louisville kentucky | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DC2001
Member # 542

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for DC2001     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I fear you are very possibly right about equipment-shortage driven service cuts, but it remains to be seen how badly the equipment (particularly the two Viewliner sleepers) has been damaged. The train appears to have stopped with all cars upright and more or less in line with the tracks. So, it's at least possible some of these cars can be speedily (read: cheaply) patched up and returned to service.

The real quewstion will be the Viewliners and heritage diner, for which there are literally no alternatives. Four Amfleet I coaches might be scaped up with some sort of lounge to cover departures in the next few days, but Amtrak is just short the sleepers and diner for a while.

Here's a partial photo (from Yahoo) of the wrecked cars (including Viewliners), IF this link works (and that's a big IF):
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?g=events/ts/041802floridatrain&a=&tmpl=sl&ns=&l=1&e =1&a=0

[This message has been edited by DC2001 (edited 05-14-2002).]

Posts: 72 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Silver Star
Member # 1570

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Silver Star     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The photo I saw looks like the cars are barely, if at all, off the tracks. The Amtrak computer says all ten cars derailed but were "in line". That may allow a quick return with only wheel replacements needed. The sleepers were "Shore View" and "Summer View".

Just last week I checked the Meteor's consists for a friend who was traveling and when #97 arrives in Miami at about 9:45pm, the equipment lays over for 33 hours and goes back north on # 98 at 7:00am the second day. This may need to be tightened up for now with #97 turning to #92 and #91 turning to #98. That would save one set but cut down on maintenance time.

My friend reported that when his train passed Sanford, he could see many of the wrecked Superliners and that the "New York" was missing windows and all smashed up on the side. In his words, it is going nowhere soon.

Posts: 52 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 4 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Regarding Mr. Star's post, several thoughts come to mind.

First is anecdotal" on my most recent AT ride during Feb 2001, I believe I made the comment over on RRNET that for my morning shower, I had to walk from Massachuetts to New York.

Riddle, what does that mean?

Don't know what the winner gets, as there is no "star" icon available.

However, more to the point. Now that there is a "new hand at the throttle" at 60 Mass effective today, I think near term" priority one" progress can best be measured when Amtrak can report that there are more Superliners available for service than on a comparative previous period.

I believe somewhere I had previously learned that #87's equipment turns for #88 on the second following day, or sits at Hialeah for some 33 hours. This is simply indicative of the "operational self sufficiency" that was forced upon Amtrak (and let's simply say that Warrington had no alternative but to structure operating plans around that dictum)and resulted in committing capital (4 sets of equipment for 87-88 when three could suffice)in a less than efficient manner so that operating expense (a third trick at HIA)could be saved.

But it does not appear that President Gunn is being confronted with any mandates of "operational self-sufficiency", and that is likely just as well. Amtrak will never make a dime - EVER; it is time to accept that and all one must do is to run the trains in a economic and efficient manner. With the high degree of public acceptance that Amtrak enjoys, the rest will take care of itself.

Posts: 9976 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page