RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » FL Trip

Author Topic: FL Trip
palmland
Member # 4344

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for palmland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
At the end of the month my wife and I need to be in Key West to help my son and fiancee plan their wedding for next year.

Obviously Amtrak is a good option for us (even though the railroad hasn't gone to Key West for 70 years). Silver service trains are middle of the night in our part of the country - something I won't do. I'm thinking about taking the Palmetto north from Florence to some point and catch the southbound Silver Star to Orlando and renting a car. Orlando seems better because of the convenient car rental and letting us get to Key West the same day -rather than wander through Florida with a 6PM Miami arrival.

Any other thoughts? How far should I venture north before catching the Star. Rocky Mount is a nice station and a short 3 hour trip, but a long wait. Richmond may be too close a connection if the Palmetto runs into trouble. Anything we need to know about car rental in Orlando? Last time we did it the boys were small and Amtrak trains still had steam lines for heat and AC (along with observation cars and full service diners).

On our return we'll take the Meteor with a semi decent 11:30pm arrival in Florence. We'll get a roomette in both direction for this relatively short trip.

Posts: 2397 | From: Camden, SC | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To my knowledge, Orlando is the only station in Florida with a staffed auto rental (Hertz) facility complete with autos.

That is worth something - to me a "heap big something' as I would just as soon have a rental auto available with the same utility as one finds at an airport.

I'm wondering, Mr. Palmland, might this be an opportunity to try out or revisit Auto Train (can't recall if you and Mrs Palmland have used such; nor can I recall if that came up during our January "hook-up')? I know I'd rather drive my own auto than any 'wind up toy' an auto rental concern serves up; however I must admit this past weekend I do appreciate the upgrade from "full sized' to "luxury" Hertz gave me @ HPN, namely from a Toyota Camry to an Avalon.

Posts: 9976 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Palmland,

Rocky Mount is a much nicer station to kill a layover in than is Richmond Staples Mill Road. At the very least, a good book and a wooden bench in the atrium area would go a long way. You may even want to spend some time walking around and exploring downtown Rocky Mount while killing a layover. The buildings are interesting and downtown Rocky Mount is fighting the good fight to stay alive (though clearly an uphill battle and one downtown seems to be losing I'm afraid).

Another possibility, the local bus system shares the adjacent former Railway Express building with Greyhound. You may be able to get a city bus to the outskirts of town for a restaurant for dinner and back. If memory serves, the only places in downtown Rocky Mount are of the burger/BBQ joint lunch counter variety and it's doubtful they would still be open at supper time.

(Richmond Staples Mill is a half block from a McDonalds for your 'fine dining' needs.)

You could go for Richmond and transfer at Petersburg if the Palmetto is late. There is virtually nothing to do or see during a Petersburg layover however......and the station there is not open for all train departures. I once spent a couple of hours there outside waiting for the Silver Star after the one agent's quitting time came and she went.

Hope this is of some help to you.

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If I recall correctly, it seems that at one time, not too long ago, AMTRAK had a connecting thruway bus from Miami to Key West, but, if I remember, it was a horribly long bus ride (like 7 or 8 hours!! -- you can drive from Orlando to Key West in that time!) -- I don't have a current timetable with me, but whatever happened to that connecting Thruway bus?
Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
palmland
Member # 4344

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for palmland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, Mr. Norman, I would much rather take Auto Train but it is about a 7-8 hour drive to Lorton for us, so it would be hard to rationalize even for me. That is something I would like to do again as our only trip on AutoTrain was when we lived in Jax and before Superliners. I remember sitting in the front left seat in the dome as we rolled through Ashland in the earl morning light.

At least this way I can get what might be a last look at heritage diners. Even though service and food are a far cry from SAL/ACL standards, there's something about walking down that narrow aisle next to the galley and hearing all the noises and smells that I wll miss as Amtrak 'modernizes'. Maybe a convertible is in order for a car rental, if Hertz has them?

David, I think you are right that Rocky Mount is the best bet. If on time, do you think we will be able to get dinner on the train with a 7:29 pm scheduled departure?

RRRich, Key West would be a great destination for an AmBus but it will be hard to beat the 6.5 hour drive AAA predicts from Orlando. By the way, the wedding is at the Casa Marina hotel - one of Flagler's hotels to lure the tourists on their way to Havanna. Strangely the station was little more than a wharf where the train met the boat.

Posts: 2397 | From: Camden, SC | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Palmland,

I would think that dinner upon departure from Rocky Mount would be possible. I once had dinner on that train after boarding in Rocky Mount about 8:00pm.....but that was a decade ago.

If the Silver Star is an hour or more late you could be out-of-luck and, sadly, wierd things sometimes happen with a train's timekeeping between Richmond and Rocky Mount. It's better than it was two or three years ago but it's still possible to leave Richmond on-time and lose an hour by Rocky Mount just meeting opposing trains.

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Casa Marina; quite the place Mr. Palmland. What an idyllic setting for a wedding especially if the ceremony is to occur at Sundown.

I stayed there during Feb 2001; drove down from Sanford in about 7 hours.

From the photo tour at their website, it certainly appears that the place has received a "kind of" needed make-over since I was there and it was under Wyndham management. However, one subtraction appears to be the replacement of a quite good steak house with a seafood joint. But then, steaks are "not exactly" contemporary cuisine, and I have a feeling that a big juicy steak would be about as "foreign" to the fashion models featured in the photo tour as I find seafood to be.

Posts: 9976 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SilverStar092
Member # 2652

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for SilverStar092     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Palmland, sounds like a nice trip. Your plan sounds solid to avoid a middle of the night departure from Florence. I wouldn't even attempt changing at Richmond but would consider Petersburg if the Palmetto is right on time at Rocky Mount. If it's at all late there, I'd be prepared to bail out there. I concur about driving from Orlando to Key West as Miami is too late and it's not convenient in the least. Riding the train to south Florida would simply add many hours to your trip. I often use Avis in Orlando as the downtown location picks up at Amtrak and I personally like them better than Hertz. Avis frequently offers one-way rentals in Florida without drop charges. If that's the case, you could return the car to West Palm Beach as they have a location next to a mall that offers courtesy dropoff at Amtrak. This would save some driving and permit more quality time on the train northbound. The Casa Marina was nice when we stayed there 6 or 7 years ago but I recall having a room in the motel wing that was near a squeaky exit door. We were moved and all was well. Happy planning!
Posts: 561 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Palmland -- yes the Casa Marina is a very nice hotel indeed!! They just did A LOT OF remodeling the last couple years (since Hurricane Wilma)- added at least one new pool, new rooms, and overall improved the landscaping in the back quite a bit.

We go there every fall with a bunch of crazy "Parrotheads" (fans of Jimmy Buffett and his "tropical" life style)-- the week after Fantasy Fest every year, there is a "Parrothead Convention" in Key West called "Meeting of The Minds" (Or "Meeting of The Mindless," as some people call it!) The entire Casa Marina is taken over by parrotheads that week from all over the country (the city itself has about 4000 Parrotheads wandering the streets and bars for a few days)-- my wife and I don't stay at the Casa, but a lot of people do, and we go there for several of the "official" events they have as part of the MOTM convention.

The Casa Marina will be a lovely place to have a wedding!!!!! Enjoy it!!!

Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
palmland
Member # 4344

Member Rated:
Good idea Silver Star. It would be nice to get on in West Palm, I enjoy it much more than Orlando, mouse aside, particularly when the Atlanta Braves had Spring Training there. I'll give Avis a call.

Mr. Norman, as much as I love a hunk of red meat (remember Lawry's), somehow the seafood seems more appropriate. Last week in the Charleston area I had my fill of shrimp and grits, but a good red snapper sounds appealing.

RRRich, Too bad we'll miss Jimmy, but my 'famous' story was a vacation about 10 years ago in a remote beach hotel in Exuma. Guess who was having a drink at the bar and enjoying a brief vacation. I didn't figure it out until my wife started punching me. It was very nice as no one bothered him and he took off the next morning in his sea plane for some bone fishing.

RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
All right, Mr. Palmland!!!! A Jimmy sighting!!!! Yep, that sounds like Jimmy, all right.........
palmland
Member # 4344

Member Rated:
Good info SilverStar! Avis is 1 mile from Orlando station and will pick me up within 5min of arrival. No premium for a return in West Palm (their location is 10 min away and will take us back to the station).

Total cost for 4 day rental of mid-size is $148 for Avis, $303 for Hertz. Avis has a program to pick up at any Florida location and return anywhere else in the state for the same rate as if you had returned to pick up location.

Now I get to check out Tri-Rail, have a longer ride on the Meteor and see which beach front property we'd like in Palm Beach.

Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Mr. Palmland, if it seems like I'm a "walking advertisment' around here for Hertz, I probably am.

While I have no financial interest whatsoever in the concern (I think it is now privately held by an "equity group'), they did bail me out on two occasions which were simply "my own d@mm fault".

In both cases, I left the headlights on (funny how my own auto takes care of that little detail for me) one time was at 11PM at Riverside CT station - they sent out the tow truck and had me going in "about an hour" after I made the "distress call". Second time, same story but at least this was in a hotel parking lot in Greenwich and at normal business hours.

It is one thing if they had to come out to fix their own defective auto, but it was simply my oversight, or better yet my negligence, that they had to do so.

For that I owe Hertz loyalty - and, as I think I previously noted here, I must say their upgrade from "full-size" (Chev Malibu) to "luxury' (Toyota Avalon) last weekend on a rental from HPN was appreciated.

palmland
Member # 4344

Member Rated:
I usually use Hertz too Mr Norman, as you can count on them (unlike some of my Enterprise dealings) and am signed up for their No 1. club (but not Gold). But, this deal seems too good to pass up. We'll see.
royaltrain
Member # 622

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for royaltrain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What I like about Hertz is the number of free car rentals I receive as a #1 Club Gold (President's Circle). Also that they have so many facilities at RR stations.
Posts: 524 | From: Toronto Ont. Canada | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TwinStarRocket
Member # 2142

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TwinStarRocket     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I became partial to Hertz when they started having locations in Amtrak stations. In Flagstaff and Whitefish they will guarantee to meet your train and you can be on the road in minutes. You only have to tote your luggage a few yards. They also now have a counter and cars at Amtrak here in St. Paul.

It's the capitalist notion of "voting with your feet". If they are supporting train travel I will give them my business.

Posts: 1572 | From: St. Paul, MN | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
amtraxmaniac
Member # 2251

Icon 1 posted      Profile for amtraxmaniac     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In that case, my next car rental will be a Hertz. LOL

--------------------
Patrick

Posts: 387 | From: Bakersfield, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TruckTrains
Member # 6938

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TruckTrains   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"even though the railroad hasn't gone to Key West for 70 years"

Man i wish it did though!

--------------------
Train Horns&
Air Horns

Posts: 24 | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Well, Mr. TruckTrain, even (IATA) MIA-EYW (ICAO: KMIA-KEYW) is not part of NARP's "vision".

But their are still many a vestige of the FEC visible. Although long since bypassed by US1, the FEC bridges remain as "fishing piers'. A span from each has been removed to ensure no one chooses to use such as a private highway. If you know where to look, you can still see some of the alignments of the ROW.

palmland
Member # 4344

Member Rated:
I well remember from some of my earlier Key West expeditions getting lost in the weeds as I search for those 'remains'. Even back in the 80's I think part of the original right of way was still in use as US 1.

It is interesting to note that there is now ferry service - http://www.seakeywestexpress.com/ - to Key West from Fort Myers and Miami (seasonal). A good boat ride is almost as enjoyable as one on steel wheels. Maybe some day it will continue on to Havanna.

George Harris
Member # 2077

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for George Harris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you want a good look at some of the old FEC converted to US 1 bridges, see the movie True Lies. The bridge span blown up in the movie, hopefully special effects, was on one of those bridges. It is easy to see what they once were. When you see the end of the span exposed, you will see plate girders spaced appropriately for a single track railroad with wide cantilevers on each side in the deck to make the surface wide enough for a two lane highway bridge.
Posts: 2808 | From: Olive Branch MS | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SilverStar092
Member # 2652

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for SilverStar092     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have always been partial to Avis as they generally provide good service and many locations pick up at Amtrak. Palmland, I am glad this worked for you as Avis always has been good about one way rentals in FL. Be sure to get the address for the WPB location as the last time I returned there, it was beside a mall rather than the airport location. Checking out TRi-Rail is nice. If time allows, you can transfer right from Tri-Rail to Miami's MetroRail which runs much of its route above the old FEC right of way.
Posts: 561 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page