RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Has anyone seen any effects of the airline crisis on Amtrak?

Author Topic: Has anyone seen any effects of the airline crisis on Amtrak?
amtraksupporter
Member # 5619

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for amtraksupporter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Has anyone seen any effects of the airline crisis on Amtrak?

Displaced air travelers taking Amtrak?

Heavier loads on trains?

Any sold out trains?

Any rise in traffic on the Capitol Limited and Lake Shore to and from Chicago? Likewise about the Texas Eagle out of Dallas?

If so, how is Amtrak coping?

Is Amtrak doing anything to get some of these people?

Posts: 82 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Since most of American Airlines NECorridor flight operations are operated by their Regional carrier, American Eagle, which operates a fleet of Brazilian made Embrarer aircraft and not the affected Boeing MD-80, I doubt if there has been any diversion of traffic to Amtrak.

Elsewhere, it is unlikely if too many passengers affected by the flight cancellations even know what a train is and are not about to learn. Accordingly, I doubt if there has been any significant effect on Amtrak ridership.

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
train lady
Member # 3920

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for train lady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
On TV here they keep saying American will make other arrangements but they never mention what they are. Have never hear any mention of trains,except for me. As I hear people complain about the delays I keep saying "take a train" but noone listens!!!
Posts: 1577 | From: virginia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Like GBN, I doubt very many are considering Amtrak, mostly due to ignorance or lack of service to their destination rather than lack of interest. But I must say that the airlines are doing their best to make Amtrak's chronic delays look attractive by comparison.

I was watching Modern Marvels on the History Channel the other day. The topic was locomotives. They said a TGV type train could run coast to coast in 15 hours. Given the added comfort, that could provide real competition, even across the "vast distances" that some say make transcontinental train travel impractical.

--------------------
The Del Monte Club Car

Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
While the linked Friday's New York Times editorial relates to the air transport industry's currnet maintenance deficiencies, it does indeed relate to the railroad industry, and specifically for this Forum the passenger railroad industry, as well.

While the railroad industry has largely been de-regulated with regards to rates since "the '80's" , regulation with regards to safety continues . As the editorial points out, both the airlines and their "overseer" have been cutting corners. While there have been no reported incidents regarding the deficiencies, that the 'laxity" on part of both "regulated and regulator' did cut into the margin of safety.

The impact to the railroad industry could be more strigent "FRA directives'; some could have substance, but more likely than not, they would simply comprise "more chicken s^it" (anyone else who has been in Service care to translate?). Even though the safety deficiencies do not (yet) relate to the railroad industry, they could be used as a wedge by those groups, such as small shippers that believe they have been discriminated against as a result of the "Big Four" (and of couse the "lesser three') consolidations, and those who advocate a greater allocation of capacity to passenger trains, to presage "rereg" of rates and service.

Food for thought before (if applicable) church, the still civil broadcast network talk shows, and The Masters:

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/04/11/opinion/11fri1.html

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TruckTrains
Member # 6938

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TruckTrains   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with Mr Toy

--------------------
Train Horns&
Air Horns

Posts: 24 | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Railroad Bob
Member # 3508

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Railroad Bob     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My take on it is that the high fuel prices are driving Amtrak ridership higher, moreso than the airline industry problems. Every Surfliner I have ridden recently has been quite full; not SRO, but most seats full. My last airplane ride was Midway Chicago to San Diego on the less-than-opulent Southwest air. Man, those 737s are claustrophobic to me, esp. when full of crying babies, ppl who don't cover their mouth while coughing/sneezing., etc. I am quitting flying for awhile, I think...just stick with the iron rails, get a good book and let the miles slip by...
Posts: 588 | From: East San Diego County, CA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hoop
Member # 4607

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hoop     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Some A-hole on #14 yesterday was yelling into his cell phone to his friend that he had cancelled his United flight of $220 from L.A. to Reno, and that he was actually "on a train" to Sacramento, where he'll overnight at the Vagabond and then ride #6 to Reno in the morning. He was so proud of himself for doing this and he was just "loving the train". Unfortuately the rest of us passengers on the train were ready to shoot him and wished he'd a flown instead instead of comin' on the train and yelling into his cell phone every conversation he had on it! [Mad]
Posts: 54 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
amtraxmaniac
Member # 2251

Icon 1 posted      Profile for amtraxmaniac     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Right on Hoops! Hillarious commentary. What's at issue is what to do to such a character. On Amtrak there are plenty of stops to dump his @$$. Throwing someone off a plane at 35,000 feet creates an ethical dilema.
Posts: 387 | From: Bakersfield, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PullmanCo
Member # 1138

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PullmanCo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Small problem:

FRA does not prohibit cell phone conversations.

FAA does.

The "objectionable conduct" clause ...

"Whose conduct is objectionable (such as, but not limited to, being under the influence of alcohol or narcotics);"

... would be just a tad difficult to enforce, especially since it goes right along with the "compliance clause"

"Who refuse to comply with safety or security rules or with instructions of Amtrak personnel;"

Of course, the easiest way to solve the loud conversation issue in coach is to book yourself into sleeper [Smile]

--------------------
The City of Saint Louis (UP, 1967) is still my standard for passenger operations

Posts: 1404 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
train lady
Member # 3920

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for train lady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
that doesn't always work either. We had several characters in our bedroom section of the car who had long and loud conversations which could be heard all down the aisle. In addition to which when they weren't talking their phones kept ringing.
Posts: 1577 | From: virginia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Train lady is right. People don't seem to understand how thin those partitions are in the sleepers. I believe that on Acela cell or maybe it was the Cascades cell callers were directed to the vestibule areas.

Frank in sunny SBA

Posts: 2160 | From: Santa Barbara, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
4021North
Member # 4081

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for 4021North     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The best solution is for the guy to speak more softly into his phone receiver, and let the person on the other end of the line adjust their handset volume if need be.
Posts: 144 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rick Morris
Member # 5347

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rick Morris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I totally agree with all of you with cell phone usage. I'm one that likes to just be off in his own world on board a train. I can't stand these morons who think they have to scream like a banshee just to be heard. It's called having respect for your fellow passengers. Maybe the banshee Hoop was talking about should get a crash course.
Posts: 23 | From: Spokane, WA | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
irishchieftain
Member # 1473

Icon 1 posted      Profile for irishchieftain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Mr. Toy wrote:

I was watching Modern Marvels on the History Channel the other day. The topic was locomotives. They said a TGV type train could run coast to coast in 15 hours

That's easily extrapolated from distance traveled divided by potential average speed for an express train. Such a running time is easily within the technological capabilities of such trains. (Incidentally, such an average speed would get you from New York to Chicago in well under five hours.)

As for the cell phone issue, I find it remarkable that people will talk loudly on one while riding a train, but will type text messages on a cell phone while driving. There's something deficient when it comes to common sense and courtesy among the general population when it does not click in the heads of people to do the exact opposite of such scenarios.

Posts: 566 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doc Brown
Member # 4724

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doc Brown     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So no one on in the car took a moment to politely ask the man to speak a little quieter? It may very well be that he didn't realize he was too loud. He may even thank you. Keep in mind that this man is used to being in noisy congested airports and riding on noisy cramped planes. One gets acustomed to being loud, as a habit. Yes, you take a chance he will be offended. Better that he be offended than an entire car of people be annoyed to no end. As an alternative, you can ask an attendant to say something. In my limited experience, most of them don't put up with a lot of crap and will usually be glad to to intervene.
Posts: 80 | From: Wisconsin | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
amtraxmaniac
Member # 2251

Icon 1 posted      Profile for amtraxmaniac     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I won't even get into my storie of 'riding the Hound'. Try telling a drugged up nutcase to keep his conversations with himself to a dull whisper, especially if he's going to use obsenities. He'll say..'ALRIGHT BUDDY-YOUR OFF MY BUS!' LOL

--------------------
Patrick

Posts: 387 | From: Bakersfield, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page