RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Union Station to O’Hare

Author Topic: Union Station to O’Hare
Seattle Shue
Member # 4363

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Seattle Shue         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
After several cross country flights to be with my family the past few months, I’m happily looking forward to a ride on the Empire Builder from Edmonds, WA to Chicago, and then a short flight from O’Hare to Knoxville, TN. The ground transport to O’Hare seems fairly easy, jumping on the blue line just a short walk from the station. Is that a correct assumption? Any tips? The great wealth of knowledge here has certainly helped me in the past.

Any advice is much appreciated.

SeattleShue

Posts: 31 | From: Seattle, WA | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Watch out at present for weekend travel to O'Hare on the CTA. Two weekends ago, it took me about 2.5 hours to get from CUS to O'Hare account a bus "shuttle' for part of the route and other delays for trackwork.

If it were not for that I was flush for time, there would have been a missed flight to address.

If arriving on a weekend, you may consider "bailing out' @ Glenview and getting a taxicab from there to O'Hare. There may be shared "jitneys" you could use - and save a few $$$ in the process. Here is the outfit that is a descendant of the Parmelee Company that once provided transfer service between the six Chicago rail terminals:

http://www.airportexpress.com/shuttles/ohare.html

Oh and off topic, but you should have heard Andy Rooney teeing off on air travel during his 60 Minutes segement aired Sunday.

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
amtraksupporter
Member # 5619

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for amtraksupporter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What ever happened to plans to run a shuttle between O'Hare and Union Station on the Milwuakee Road?
Posts: 82 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Henry Kisor
Member # 4776

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Henry Kisor   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As a veteran Builder traveler, I'd get off at Glenview and take a taxi (about $35 plus tip, flat rate) to O'Hare. It will be faster and more pleasant; suburban cabbies (I always take 303 cabs) tend to be more knowledgeable about where they are going than in-city hackies.

Plenty of cabs meet the Builder, but if you wanted to be sure to get a 303 cab you could call from the station.

Posts: 2236 | From: Evanston, Ill. and Ontonagon, Mich. | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for smitty195     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just curious----what's a 303 cab? I'm not familiar with that term.

Thanks.

Posts: 2355 | From: Pleasanton, CA | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Henry Kisor
Member # 4776

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Henry Kisor   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"303" is just the name of the cab dispatch company, like Yellow Cab, Checker Cab, etc. I have no idea what 303 means. But there are big "3-0-3" signs on the sides of the cabs.
Posts: 2236 | From: Evanston, Ill. and Ontonagon, Mich. | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by amtraksupporter:
What ever happened to plans to run a shuttle between O'Hare and Union Station on the Milwuakee Road?

That proposal became reality with the O'Hare stop on METRA's North Central Line (nee SOO, WC, CN).

But lest any of our members from overseas have visions of service such as found at EDDF and other major aerial ports, all I can say is "forget it".

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Seattle Shue
Member # 4363

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Seattle Shue         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks all for the great information once again. I never would have thought about getting off at Glenview, but that certainly sounds like the route we will take.

Many thanks as always,
SeattleShue

Posts: 31 | From: Seattle, WA | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
I think it a safe assumption that one would have difficulty in failing to identify a taxicab affiliated with the concern Mr. Kisor notes:

http://www.303taxi.com/default.aspx

Their fleet, likely owner-operators, are liveried as such.

I have used them once in this life, namely from Ruth's Chris in Northbrook to Ravinia (the on-site restaurant there is, quite simply, vile) after we, i.e. two couples, positioned autos both at Ravinia and the restaurant. The ride was without incident.

303 and any other SUBURBAN taxicab can take you TO O'Hare, but they can take you from ORD only if you have specifically called them - and then they can only pick you up at the outer islands where there is not too much protection from "the elements".

Lest we forget O'Hare is within the Corporate Limits of Chicago; Mayor-for-Life Richard the First simply grabbed (whoops, annexed) whatever land was deemed necessary to do so - including some in DuPage County.

Clout at work, folks!!!

Of course Mayor-for-Life Richie-Two had to emulate Dad:

http://www.channel3000.com/news/2076194/detail.html

Seattle Shue
Member # 4363

Rate Member
You gotta love technlolgy. I was able to make a reservation online for a taxi to pick us up at the Glenview station Monday afternoon. Couldn't have been easier. Thanks again all for your help.

SeattleShue

sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mr. Norman--

Lest we forget O'Hare is within the Corporate Limits of Chicago; Mayor-for-Life Richard the First simply grabbed (whoops, annexed) whatever land was deemed necessary to do so - including some in DuPage County.

Such clout is not limited to Chicago. Our own airport (SBA Santa Barbara-Goleta Municipal) is about ten miles from town and surrounded by the City of Goleta. There is a narrow strip that goes out into the ocean and up the coast and then back to land so that the airport itself is in the City of Santa Barbara!

The Goleta Amtrak station is nearby but, as far as I know, the nearest public transport is several long blocks away on Hollister Avenue. You might be able to get to the airport by walking to the overflow parking lot and hitching a ride on the shuttle bus.

Frank in Sunny SBA

Posts: 2160 | From: Santa Barbara, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page