RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Live from the Capitol #29 - A dining car question

Author Topic: Live from the Capitol #29 - A dining car question
dcfan
Member # 2311

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dcfan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When did Amtrak start charging sleeper passengers for appetizers? This came as a surprise at the end of our evening meal. There is no advisory on the printed menu, and no verbal warning given by the attendant.

The ride has been good. We are about an hour late headed into Chicago. The family bedroom is fine, but I miss the convenience of the bathroom en suite. The ride in said bedroom has been smooth when compared to our travels in a Viewliner on 97/98 through North Carolina.

Pray for us - we are headed out this afternoon on the Texas Eagle....

Posts: 73 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The appetizers are a relatively new addition to the menus......part of the experimentation with 'what the market will bear' in dining services. I don't believe that there was ever a time when appetizers were offered as a complimentary item for sleeping car passengers. I am guessing that it was on the Capitol Limited that you encountered appetizers on the menu.

I first encountered them last month in the diner on the 'City of New Orleans' and we were advised by the attendant that appetizers were not complimentary for sleeping passengers.

I agree with you that it is confusing and I agree with you that it ought to be CLEARLY printed on the menus (which it is not). Otherwise, it is totally up tothe person serving you to make that clear up front and not all of the servers are as good about doing that (or at least doing that in a way that doesn't put the customer off) as others.

Have a great trip on the Texas Eagle.

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I rode a lot of long-distance trains since last fall: the LSL RT in Oct; the Crescent RT NY to Atlanta in Nov; the southbound Silver Meteor, northbound Silver Star, westbound Cap Ltd, westbound SW Chief, eastbound Sunset Ltd, northbound TX Eagle, and eastbound LSL in Jan, and the 2 FL trains again in Feb. I cannot remember if the appetizers were on the menu for all the other trains but know they were on the menu for most of them, and definitely th Cap Ltd, LSL, and FL trains. Each time I asked about the appetizers as a sleeper passenger, the dining car attendant told me they were extra; but I suppose if they are very busy, they might forget. I also tried getting some guacamole from the appetizers for my (free) gardenburger at lunch and was told I could not.
Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
train lady
Member # 3920

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for train lady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In the '70s an appetizer and small glass of wine were served automatically for sleeper passengers. There was no choice,it was just served at least on the Capitol.
Posts: 1577 | From: virginia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
???????????? That's news to me about AMTRAK now charging for appetizers -- thanks for the info. We will keep that in mind on our trip this summer.
Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They announced it, Messrs. DCFAN and RICH:

Amtrak.Com

Pertinent excerpt from the linked material:

The new dinner menu features a selection of appetizers for the first time, including Chips and Salsa, Chicken Wings and Dip, and Jumbo Shrimp Cocktail. For entrees, passengers can choose from a cooked to order Flat Iron Steak, a Seafood selection, Oven Roasted Half Game Hen, enhanced Vegetarian Selections, and a rotating Chef's Marketplace Special such as Slow Cooked Braised Beef, Italian Meatballs, and Roast Pork Tenderloin. A rotating variety of scrumptious Sweet Street® desserts including cakes, pies and tarts will be available. Haagen Dazs® ice cream will also be featured.

The cost of Dining Car meals and soft beverages is included in the surcharge paid by sleeping car passengers, while Coach passengers are welcome to purchase some or all of their meals in the Dining Car. Appetizers, wine, beer and cocktails are not included and can be purchased separately.

Posts: 9979 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Although it's a true statement, the portion which reads "while coach passengers are welcome to purchase some or all of their meals in the Dining Car" causes confusion by being BETWEEN the section about meals included for the sleeping car passengers and the end section about purchasing appetizers, wine, beer, and cocktails separately.

The statement about coach passengers maybe could have come later to avoid confusion.

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks, Gil! I don't routinely read those features on the AMTRAK web site, unless I am looking for specific information for some reason.

I agree with David that the statement about coach passengers between the parts about sleeping car passengers is a bit confusing.

Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page